Bronze Member
Nov 24, 2005
va beach, va
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
se pro, excal. II, ctx 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i have never owned tiger shark, but i hear much about it not working well in salt water.....................check that out

excal is great, i had two and two sovereigns

but here in va beach in the past several months, some new White's Beachunter ID's have started to show up..................they do ok and several hundred bucks less than excal.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have never used the Tiger, I do have a Beach Hunter ID and an Excal 1000. I like the Excal best, but I am also a newbie so take it for what it is worth.

Some things to consider, the Excal really holds its value, the Beach Hunter control box floats, and theTiger comes with a lifetime warranty. I am selling my Beach Hunter.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have two Excals, CZ20, 1280's and a Tiger Shark along with acouple PI's. I perfer the Excal over the Tiger for one reason, it's extra depth with it's DD coil coverage. However, the Tiger has interchangeable search coils and a lifetime warranty. Plus I have the huge 18 X 3 inch Clean Sweep Coil for it which isn't made anymore. The Tiger Shark has a saltwater mode switch so salt isn't a problem at all.

I had a Beach Hunter ID but gave it to my brother in law because I didn't like the way the coil floated an I had to force it under. That got tiring. I understand you can order it with weighted coil for just water. Plus it can only be taken under 20 feet, an I dive too. But it was well made and I liked the three tone ID.

One feature the Excal has that is worth the extra $ is the iron mask. It ignores ground balance and iron so it will respond on a gold ring under a piece of iron. A Tiger can disc. out the iron and that's it. You never know about the ring. Even if you dig everything, the Excal still goes deeper which you need in the sifting sands at a coast.

HH,

Sandman

OP
OP
R

ran-man

Jan 12, 2007
Katy Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Will the excal work good on dry land also, like at a park? Is it better to have one good detector for water and dry land, or have two different lower quality detectors, one for water and one for dry land?

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure the Excal will work at a park, but it isn't the best for much dry land as it is on the heavy side for water use. The Minelab Sovereign GT is a Excal made for land hunting and is cheaper, $699.00

There is no one detector that is good for all types of hunting. Some come close like Whites MXT, but it isn't for the water either. I would perfer only high quality detectors for land and water. Time is the only thing you never get back, why waste time using a cheap machine when you can have more fun and recover more with a better detector.

If you can only afford one good detector, get the best you can afford. The Ace 250 has lots of followers and it doesn't cost an arm an a leg. For the water, they have to cost more as they have to be made of better materials to hold up to the rougher use.

OP
OP
R

ran-man

Jan 12, 2007
Katy Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Thanks Sandman, I like what you said " time is the only thing you never get back" it makes alot of sense. I value your opinion. THANKS

FLauthor

Aug 22, 2004
Minneola, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 800; Fisher F5; White Beachmaster VLF
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have a Excalibur since 1990 and had it toally rebuilt last year. Its paid for itself 3 times over. ;) Recovered a 3/4 ct. diamond ring valued at $1900 a few years ago and recovered another 3/4 ct man's diamond ring valued at $1350. It is H-O-T on gold in saltwater. I owned a Fisher Aquanaut before the Minelab and it was a good machine in freshwater but it falsed a lot in saltwater. Here is a simple test: take a gold ring and a nail. Pass the nail and ring together under most metal detectors and they will discriminate the iron and gold ring :o. Minelab Excalibur and Sovereign don't know what Iron is and ignores it and will ring on the gold ring. That is what sold me on the detector. ;D

OP
OP
R

ran-man

Jan 12, 2007
Katy Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
FLauthor, sounds like 3/4 ct is your lucky number. I'm sold on the excalibur, thanks everyone for you input.

OP
OP
R

ran-man

Jan 12, 2007
Katy Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
I decided on the excal 1000 for water hunting and have one more question. I'm upgrading from my ace 250 for land hunting and need help deciding between the sovereign GT with a meter and the whites DFX. Thanks Again.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread