N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Cornelius:
There is a reference above the one you pointed out:
"Then, in 1969 an American tourist disembarked in Grand Cayman Island (south of Cuba), and to pass the time whilst on holiday, he hired a snorkel, goggles and a pair of flippers and went exploring the shallows of the bay in front of his hotel. Imagine his surprise when on his first time 'out', he discovered a magnificent gold cross, encrusted with diamonds lying in the coral and buried under a few centimetres of sand, and a large gold disc weighing more than a kilo!"

I believe the hotel was the Holiday Inn that Herbo owned. Recall he also had a museum across the street. Perhaps someone in his circle of close friends might give you a lead to the "Santiago".
All the best,
Don....

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
JWW:
Sorry, that I directed my response to Cornelius instead of you.
In the paragraph above your citing, reference is made to the hotel in Cayman, and the treasure found outside that hotel as possibly coming from the 'Santiago'. Herbo may know more about that if you can find him or one of his close friends.
Don....

JAVIER

Oct 1, 2004
I have one entry in the book shipwrecks of the americas (I think) it talks about the SANTIAGO (1647)
IT SAYS THAT IS LOCATED IN " bay of campeche"in mexico its cargo gold and silver route: veracrus , habana.
also says: partly salvaged at time of loss.

also from another book, there is another ship callled SANTIAGO (1660)

WRECK IN CENTRAL AMERICA BETWEEN HONDURAS AND NICARAGUA , PROBABLY IN ONE OF THE CAPES ( CAYO MUERTO)

T

treaser hunta

The bay off of the holoday inn has sand by the shore and rock farther out. There are small sand pockets everywhere. They are full rocks. The way i see it is he would have found int close to shore because it was buried under a few inches of sand. But if it was found in the shallows more people would have found stuff. ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions