Saturday Finds - 08-12-06

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I worked 9 1/2 hours today out at the auction house and got home around 5:30.... Needless to say I was exhausted and tried to take a nap, but couldn't do it. I was getting antsy and had to get out and detect. I went back out to one of the old parks in town and gridded some more area that I had previously not gone over. It paid off. I hunted for about 90 minutes until dark and came home with the following:

one memorial cent
1930 Wheat Cent
1893 Indian Head Cent - hit be a lawnmower or something in the past
1901 Indian Head Cent - hit by my knife, haha, it was buried under several large roots and only the tip of knife could squeeze into the hole it was in
1903 Indian Head Cent - good detail
1943 Mercury Dime
Cool cufflink with purple / amethyst stone.

08-12-06.JPG

08-12-06-02.JPG

I also found some wheats and clad yesterday, but I wasn't excited enough about them to make a post, haha.

I'm gunning for you doyboy! These 3 put me at 30 for the year, what are you at?

Upvote 0

Green1

Silver Member
Mar 20, 2006
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Mxt 6x10 coil Massachusetts
nice finds there !! some real nice detail on a few of em,,,, wtg and keep em comin..... ;D ;D

D

doyboy

;D, you better dismantle my detector, Bosco, because this boy "ain't a goin'" to give in easily! I have 40 for the year. I hit an 1865 and an 1868 last Sunday. I hope to find some tomorrow.

Nice finds, bud! Damn, that XS sure treats you well. I am thinking about getting an EXII next year once I graduate from college. What advice could you give me on the Explorer? What's the "learning curve" like?

OP
OP
bazinga

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
doyboy said:
;D, you better dismantle my detector, Bosco, because this boy "ain't a goin'" to give in easily! I have 40 for the year. I hit an 1865 and an 1868 last Sunday. I hope to find some tomorrow.

Nice finds, bud! Damn, that XS sure treats you well. I am thinking about getting an EXII next year once I graduate from college. What advice could you give me on the Explorer? What's the "learning curve" like?

What condition was that 1868 in? That's about a $40-50 coin just in G-4... I found one earlier this summer. It's nice to find coins that are worth some cash. The learning curve will be fairly high for someone who doesn't have a 'coach' around them to help them out and show them what a deep sounding coin target will sound like. I would say a solid month before you understand it completely, and even then it could take years before you COMPLETELY get it, and it will still confuse you from time to time after that.

But it will get you some good finds. I guessed what all 6 of my coins were before I even dug my plug today. The only thing I was wrong about was the cufflink because it rang off like an indian head, but jewelry is just as good. Plus I was hunting an area that 2 other guys had gone over just 2 weeks ago, so it will find some goodies in hunted areas.

mxtswinger

Jul 27, 2006
Northeast KY
Detector(s) used
2 Whites MXT's Goldscan 5 PI
Really nice stuff. I think that's the best dug Merc I've seen. Love the patina on the "03 too.

Keep on Swingin

OP
OP
bazinga

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mxtswinger said:
Really nice stuff. I think that's the best dug Merc I've seen. Love the patina on the "03 too.

Keep on Swingin

My first ever Mercury Dime that I dug was even better. It was a 1920-D with full split bands on the reverse and grades XF to AU. I wish they all came out that nice!

Detectingfreak

Gold Member
Apr 26, 2006
Bellevue, WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro TigerShark
Nice finds dude! i like the ring very much! i will make my post in the next week. from the camp i hit which gave me my oldest wheat and another wheat from a beach i hit on the weekend before.

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
Hi bsco!

Another great day for you, congrats.
That Merc is beautiful.
I love when the silver comes out of the ground like that.
Bummer about chopping into the IH,
good thing you didn't hit it a little harder
or you might only have 29 and 1/2 IHs.
I like your little competition with doyboy.
Best of luck to you both!! I hope you both get to 50!

Smiles!
BDoo

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread