Saved by the Doubled Die....

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
If you can, please post photos so that others know what to look for. I've found a few myself, but never in AU. There have been a few that I released into the wild as they weren't in a condition that was worthy of my collection. If I wouldn't want it, then I can't imagine it would be worth the hassle to sell to someone else.

OP
OP
Numismaniac

Numismaniac

Bronze Member
Apr 1, 2010
Will do. I've sold a few nicer ones on feebay for 10 - 15. Will try to get a nice scan posted soon.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i don't look too hard on the 74d halves, but when i do, i never seem to find the ddo, maybe i am not looking hard enough with my 10x loupe... looking forward to pictures!
hh
buff
Will do. I've sold a few nicer ones on feebay for 10 - 15. Will try to get a nice scan posted soon.

OP
OP
Numismaniac

Numismaniac

Bronze Member
Apr 1, 2010
Just did a high res scan of my latest 74 D Doubled Die. This coin is a nice example, and I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. You can see the doubling pretty well on RUST of In God We Trust.

I'd encourage all CRHers to look for this variety. I can usually get more on Ebay for a decent one than I can for a 40%er.

HH

OP
OP
Numismaniac

Numismaniac

Bronze Member
Apr 1, 2010
ARGH!!! OK, here is the scan

Attachments

• 74 D DDO.jpg
    74 D DDO.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 93

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow nice DDO , thanks for sharing, yup, i don't think i would have passed that one up, it's quite obvious... and i was looking in the right spot!
hh
buff

OP
OP
Numismaniac

Numismaniac

Bronze Member
Apr 1, 2010
Thanks! Keep after it, I think I average 1 DDO for every 100 I check. Just like finding silver, persistence pays off.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
do you have any clue on how many are/were said to be in existance? thanks for the info it is appreciated greatly! i'll be honest, it's late and i don't feel like googling it, LOL. i might as well ask while it is on my mind!
hh
buff

OP
OP
Numismaniac

Numismaniac

Bronze Member
Apr 1, 2010
My understanding is one die's worth. Estimates vary, but I've read most likely no more than 50,000 per die, and who knows if the die broke or wore out early..... Also, who knows how many survived in collectable shape. Cherry pickers says maybe 250-500 known, but I think probably a few thousand is better guess. They are pretty rare, and people want them. That equals value!

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Definitely a nice find. I find them from time to time. I check them all, but don't have your luck of 1:100. Suprisingly, I find quite a few (when I do) that are late die state or the overall quality of the coin itself isn't worth the value. Nice save.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread