Saved this week by a box of quarters

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
This week has been rather bad. After getting blanked and wasting my time on a box of nickels, my usual references for AG were empty.

Halves:
Box 1: Skunk
Box 2: Skunk
Box 3: Skunk
Box 4: Skunk

Dimes:
Box 1: Skunk (Did get 5 extra dimes on a longer miscounted roll..Alright! got extra dimes for once instead of being shorted)

Nickels:
Box 1: Skunk

Quarters:
Box 1: 1964-D, Korean 100 coin (Don't know much about it but thought I had two keepers, the edge was deceptive)
Box 2: Skunk *

* Had a British coin or a coin with Queen Elizabeth II on the end, I didn't want it and swapped it back with the teller.

I figured why not on the quarters, easy search and dump. The one box saved the day. I don't do quarters often but I'm going to mix it in. I do despise getting foreign coins with quarters which is frequent so I need to do the CRHing at the bank and swap out the rolls with foreign crap. Basically, it's equivalent to me getting a 40%er so I didn't get skunked this week. Tough week this week.

What was funny on the second box of quarters was that it was at another bank. I knew I was pushing my luck with it because I stopped by this bank close to an errand I had to do. The odds aren't good on quarters. I just did a swap for boxes and the teller was like, "You know the merchants really like sealed boxes". To which I replied, "I can seal those up next time if you want." She said, "Yeah could you?" I laughed because most of the time, tellers count the rolls to make sure they're all there. I guess she was that trusting of me.

Upvote 0

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
SFBayArea said:
sagittarius98 said:
SFBayArea said:
That Canadian Guy said:
SFBayArea said:
* Had a British coin or a coin with Queen Victoria on the end, I didn't want it and swapped it back with the teller.
Why would you not want that coin? Did you look at the date? Queen Victoria was Queen of England from 1837-1901. Why would you not want a coin at least 111 years old? :dontknow:

Sorry, I miswrote. Thanks for correcting me. It was Queen Elizabeth II of the 1970's brand and it was not silver. I don't know my British royalty that well. Not Canadian either because it had a thick rim. From my experience with British 5 pences in dimes, I don't want something less than what I paid for. Canadian coins are acceptable due to parity with the dollar.

What size was it? If it was quarter size, it could be an older 5 pence which is now withdrawn from circ, or a modern 10 pence, which is 15 cents in exchange. The Korean coin is 100 won, and is made of copper nickel. It was very close to our quarter (I belive .6 of a gram more/less). It is about 9 cents in exchange.

Thanks for the info.. I'm guessing the British coins is probably the 10 pence. It's Queen Elizabeth II, the 70's version. Good thing I didn't want it. The Korean won looked to be possible silver so I took it from the rim. People are pretty sneaky in putting in these low worth coins to substitute for quarters.

If it was 1970's QEII, than it had to be the old 5 pence coin. At the time, the 10 pence coins were the size of halves. In the early 1990s, the UK made all their copper-nickel coins smaller.

Approximately this:

5 pence: quarter to dime
10 pence: half to quarter
50 pence: large dollar to half

I think nickels have more foreign than quarters.

OP
OP
SFBayArea

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Glad I didn't keep that coin if it's another 5 pence but larger version. Lord knows how many 5 pences I have by now. I went and got very little today. I really don't know what to do with them. Perhaps I can write a craigslist ad asking for someone who is going back to the UK to take them and do a exchange at a discount.

Dimes:
Box 3 - Skunk
Box 4 - 1962-D
Box 5 - Skunk - (One extra dime & one Brit 5 Pence - sort of evened itself out)

Quarters:
Box 5: Skunk
Box 6: Skunk

I knew my Ag quarter found earlier was luck that wouldn't last. I'm on a skunk streak on quarters now. I'm curious how far I can push it with quarters. I didn't do many quarters last year. I found a few in the beginning just like this year but fizzled out. Last year, I stopped doing quarters after a streak of 7 skunks. Let's see if I can break it. Easy to search though but a pain to lug around. They seem to weigh more than a box of halves.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
SFBayArea said:
Glad I didn't keep that coin if it's another 5 pence but larger version. Lord knows how many 5 pences I have by now. I went and got very little today. I really don't know what to do with them. Perhaps I can write a craigslist ad asking for someone who is going back to the UK to take them and do a exchange at a discount.

Dimes:
Box 3 - Skunk
Box 4 - 1962-D
Box 5 - Skunk - (One extra dime & one Brit 5 Pence - sort of evened itself out)

Quarters:
Box 5: Skunk
Box 6: Skunk

I knew my Ag quarter found earlier was luck that wouldn't last. I'm on a skunk streak on quarters now. I'm curious how far I can push it with quarters. I didn't do many quarters last year. I found a few in the beginning just like this year but fizzled out. Last year, I stopped doing quarters after a streak of 7 skunks. Let's see if I can break it. Easy to search though but a pain to lug around. They seem to weigh more than a box of halves.

I may have that problem at some point, but right now I have only a few. I am a foreign collector, but sometimes I am sick of having 30 or more of the same coin. I only have that problem with British pennies, decimal.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread