Saved this week by a box of quarters

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
This week has been rather bad. After getting blanked and wasting my time on a box of nickels, my usual references for AG were empty.

Halves:
Box 1: Skunk
Box 2: Skunk
Box 3: Skunk
Box 4: Skunk

Dimes:
Box 1: Skunk (Did get 5 extra dimes on a longer miscounted roll..Alright! got extra dimes for once instead of being shorted)

Nickels:
Box 1: Skunk

Quarters:
Box 1: 1964-D, Korean 100 coin (Don't know much about it but thought I had two keepers, the edge was deceptive)
Box 2: Skunk *

* Had a British coin or a coin with Queen Elizabeth II on the end, I didn't want it and swapped it back with the teller.

I figured why not on the quarters, easy search and dump. The one box saved the day. I don't do quarters often but I'm going to mix it in. I do despise getting foreign coins with quarters which is frequent so I need to do the CRHing at the bank and swap out the rolls with foreign crap. Basically, it's equivalent to me getting a 40%er so I didn't get skunked this week. Tough week this week.

What was funny on the second box of quarters was that it was at another bank. I knew I was pushing my luck with it because I stopped by this bank close to an errand I had to do. The odds aren't good on quarters. I just did a swap for boxes and the teller was like, "You know the merchants really like sealed boxes". To which I replied, "I can seal those up next time if you want." She said, "Yeah could you?" I laughed because most of the time, tellers count the rolls to make sure they're all there. I guess she was that trusting of me.

Upvote 0

GEOFF

Aug 30, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the won is nickel copper, im sure. unless its like 1900 or something. good job on the quarter.

I think our skunk streaks are due by the BIG hunters who do 50 boxes a week. Fkkkk.

OP
OP
SFBayArea

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
GEOFF said:
the won is nickel copper, im sure. unless its like 1900 or something. good job on the quarter.

I think our skunk streaks are due by the BIG hunters who do 50 boxes a week. Fkkkk.

Don't know of any that do 50 boxes a week round these parts. But perhaps one is doing it.. but just not in my immediate cities nearby or the bank tellers would've told me about it. Tough to say what goes on. Typically, it's a bunch of skunks followed by a few boxes that have more that a couple to make up for some of the skunks. That's the way it's been of late. I figured that why not do some quarters if the halves boxes are not that great. I recall years ago when people would comment about the price of silver going up and what the ratios of keepers per box would be for halves. Keep in mind the boxes were much better at that time, and someone mentioned about halves ratios becoming like dime box ratios, one per $500. I'm getting a little under that now. If it gets as bad as quarters, why not just do quarters? I really enjoy the eaze of doing it. Super fast and easy to dump. Wish that halves came in clear wrap.

The Korean coin is not silver. It looks modern to me. Can't read the dates (no dates), don't understand Korean. Another coin for the foreign junk coin bag. LOL

GEOFF

Aug 30, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yup, quarters dont even rise the attention when I dump. They love to get some quarter rolls. Truth be told, I found more silvers in the banks that have a coin counter for public use.

I just had a 5 box streak and its pretty rare in my part of the area to face that streak...I guess im just not as grateful as some folks who have been suffering 10 boxes and up.

OP
OP
SFBayArea

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
GEOFF said:
yup, quarters dont even rise the attention when I dump. They love to get some quarter rolls. Truth be told, I found more silvers in the banks that have a coin counter for public use.

I just had a 5 box streak and its pretty rare in my part of the area to face that streak...I guess im just not as grateful as some folks who have been suffering 10 boxes and up.

Yeah, banks go through quarters like no other. I wonder if I should just ask for more boxes of quarters next time I dump. I'll just swap a couple boxes of quarters for weekly halves orders. Pretty much can search a box of quarters in like 5 mins. where I weigh the rolls at the bank to make sure it's accurate and get rid of the foreign junk in them.

Don't have coin counters here. Judging from some threads here about people being shorted on counters, I'm not sure anymore whether I'd like to have them in our area.

GEOFF

Aug 30, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
in my case the gains out weight the costs, all my wide Mercs were from this heavy volume coin counter branch, which i doubt this is where the mercs are counted. I found 5 mercs including a real nic 1920 XF/AU.

Why dont u do dimes?

OP
OP
SFBayArea

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
GEOFF said:
in my case the gains out weight the costs, all my wide Mercs were from this heavy volume coin counter branch, which i doubt this is where the mercs are counted. I found 5 mercs including a real nic 1920 XF/AU.

Why dont u do dimes?

I do dimes too. I typically do 2 boxes per week. I'll probably get another one tomorrow. I typically like to swap and not have them ship them back so I don't do that many. Banks don't use up dime as much as other coins so if they get too many, they send them back. Was just thinking of not polluting the supply with too many skunks. The idea of putting clear wrap dimes in zip lock bags to be counted seems so wasteful to me that I just don't want to do it that way. I prefer them to be given to merchants instead.

That Canadian Guy

Sep 27, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
SFBayArea said:
* Had a British coin or a coin with Queen Victoria on the end, I didn't want it and swapped it back with the teller.
Why would you not want that coin? Did you look at the date? Queen Victoria was Queen of England from 1837-1901. Why would you not want a coin at least 111 years old? :dontknow:

OP
OP
SFBayArea

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
That Canadian Guy said:
SFBayArea said:
* Had a British coin or a coin with Queen Victoria on the end, I didn't want it and swapped it back with the teller.
Why would you not want that coin? Did you look at the date? Queen Victoria was Queen of England from 1837-1901. Why would you not want a coin at least 111 years old? :dontknow:

Sorry, I miswrote. Thanks for correcting me. It was Queen Elizabeth II of the 1970's brand and it was not silver. I don't know my British royalty that well. Not Canadian either because it had a thick rim. From my experience with British 5 pences in dimes, I don't want something less than what I paid for. Canadian coins are acceptable due to parity with the dollar.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
SFBayArea said:
That Canadian Guy said:
SFBayArea said:

Sorry, I miswrote. Thanks for correcting me. It was Queen Elizabeth II of the 1970's brand and it was not silver. I don't know my British royalty that well. Not Canadian either because it had a thick rim. From my experience with British 5 pences in dimes, I don't want something less than what I paid for. Canadian coins are acceptable due to parity with the dollar.

What size was it? If it was quarter size, it could be an older 5 pence which is now withdrawn from circ, or a modern 10 pence, which is 15 cents in exchange. The Korean coin is 100 won, and is made of copper nickel. It was very close to our quarter (I belive .6 of a gram more/less). It is about 9 cents in exchange.

SocalGuy

Tenderfoot
Jan 19, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everytime my Half boxes are late I ask for Quarter boxes because they always have them on hand. Personally I'd rather do Quarters then Nickels because they are easy to search, dump, and most importantly results can be good.

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I do 30-50 boxes a week, I'm sure our skunk rates are the same. Your skunk rate has less to do with other searchers and more to do with the fact that people have been culling silver for almost 50 years....go figure?

My guess is that theres only 3-5% (maybe 10 longshot) of all the silver halves ever minted still in circulation and that number decreases more and more every year. Sure you have some gains from the collections thrown back by halfwits but I am sure the culls far outweigh the throwbacks.

Just do as much as you can , as Rich Hartford said, "Volume is King"

OP
OP
SFBayArea

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
sagittarius98 said:
SFBayArea said:
That Canadian Guy said:
SFBayArea said:

What size was it? If it was quarter size, it could be an older 5 pence which is now withdrawn from circ, or a modern 10 pence, which is 15 cents in exchange. The Korean coin is 100 won, and is made of copper nickel. It was very close to our quarter (I belive .6 of a gram more/less). It is about 9 cents in exchange.

Thanks for the info.. I'm guessing the British coins is probably the 10 pence. It's Queen Elizabeth II, the 70's version. Good thing I didn't want it. The Korean won looked to be possible silver so I took it from the rim. People are pretty sneaky in putting in these low worth coins to substitute for quarters.

OP
OP
SFBayArea

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Bigheed said:

I do 30-50 boxes a week, I'm sure our skunk rates are the same. Your skunk rate has less to do with other searchers and more to do with the fact that people have been culling silver for almost 50 years....go figure?

My guess is that theres only 3-5% (maybe 10 longshot) of all the silver halves ever minted still in circulation and that number decreases more and more every year. Sure you have some gains from the collections thrown back by halfwits but I am sure the culls far outweigh the throwbacks.

Just do as much as you can , as Rich Hartford said, "Volume is King"

Bigheed, I've been keeping track of stats in Excel since 2009.. believe me.. the number of keepers per box have gone down dramatically in my area within the last 3 years. The boxes were much better back then. I didn't even consider doing higher volume back then.. I should have. Now I'd be happy with dime like ratios per box, meaning one keeper per box now which can only happen when I get the one box that makes up for the skunks which is typical here.

Today, I went and got 1 box of dimes and 2 boxes of quarters.. I was really trying to push my luck on the quarters. The quarters were probably the easiest to search out of all denominations. Just tough to lug around.

Dimes
Box 2: 1964(2)

Quarters:
Box 3: Skunk
Box 4: Extra Quarter - I opted to take out an uncirculated 2010 Grand Canyon

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bigheed, I've been keeping track of stats in Excel since 2009.. believe me.. the number of keepers per box have gone down dramatically in my area within the last 3 years. The boxes were much better back then. I didn't even consider doing higher volume back then.. I should have. Now I'd be happy with dime like ratios per box, meaning one keeper per box now which can only happen when I get the one box that makes up for the skunks which is typical here.

That's exactly what I was eluding to

Time marches on!

OP
OP
SFBayArea

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Bigheed said:

That's exactly what I was eluding to

Time marches on!

How has your numbers been? You hadn't posted them in a while and you don't have to. I was curious whether you noticed any dropoffs in keeper ratios while doing larger volumes.

I don't think the numbers on halves are effected that much as time goes on by new coins minted getting in the way. They don't mint very many new halves. They're just effected by price of silver and any new collector that is educated by this. With the information age, it's easy for someone to find out and get into it. I stumbled upon this hobby years ago by accident really, not with any info on the net. The internet was in its infancy back then. I do think that dimes and quarters are effected more so since they make new ones every year that glut up the stream.

I just recall doing halves in college around 2001-2002 and I hardly ever got skunked. There were plenty of uncirulated coins in the boxes too meaning they didn't circulate much. Of course, those 40%ers were only worth $.55 each through dealers. Very little competition at that time. I had large stacks of them back then and very just happy to sell off a few $10 rolls of them for $13.00 each if someone wanted them off of Feebay. I saved all 90%ers till now. Back then they were worth 4xface. I thought that was a lot back then.

santafeboy

Dec 8, 2010
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter 1100
Nice to get a 1964 quarter I have only found 2 ags in boxes The only time I buy them is when absolutely nothing else is available

OP
OP
SFBayArea

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
santafeboy said:
Nice to get a 1964 quarter I have only found 2 ags in boxes The only time I buy them is when absolutely nothing else is available

Quarters have pluses and minuses just like halves and dimes. I usually have low expectations when I get a box of them but you never know. They're better than doing a box of nickels that's for sure.

When I got my second box of quarters, they still had 2 other boxes sitting there in the cart. I just thought to myself, "Man, I wish that I can search them all." I didn't want to overdo it and left. There was already a long line since it's Friday and I basically cut in line to the merchant line to ask to do a swap. Didn't want to push the envelope. They had a ton of people in line too.

santafeboy

Dec 8, 2010
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter 1100
SFBayArea said:
santafeboy said:

Quarters have pluses and minuses just like halves and dimes. I usually have low expectations when I get a box of them but you never know. They're better than doing a box of nickels that's for sure.
Let me guess you got 2 solid mint boxes of nickels in a row like me ? That put me off them for a while

OP
OP
SFBayArea

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
santafeboy said:
SFBayArea said:
santafeboy said:

Let me guess you got 2 solid mint boxes of nickels in a row like me ? That put me off them for a while

Nah.. the box didn't have any war nickels or buffalos. I filled a couple dates in my nickel album that I hardly look at and a 2009 Canadian Nickel that isn't nickel. That's it. Nothing great and really was a waste of time. I think if you get all new coins, you would still be ok. When I get them, I just weigh them for accuracy and dump. I don't even waste time to go through them. The worst is wasting a lot of time and getting nothing. New coins are not that big of a deal.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread