Saving your Iron?

MasonRoberson

Aug 23, 2015
North GA
Detector(s) used
Garret products! Love them!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Do you guys save your junk iron. For example nails and plow points and other things. I guess you could call it "junk iron" then sell it to be scarp iron. I think its a good idea. Every time I get pull up iron that was giving a halo, or some other case I keep it and add it to the collection. I think its better than just putting in the garbage when you get home and let it go into a landfill. Why not recycled it and get some money from it! What are you guys opinions? HH

Upvote 0

The Dirt Fisherman

Oct 2, 2015
Greensboro NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta/Makro Simplex+, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i hold on to it until i have enough to scrap. usually i only get enough to buy lunch. but hey! thats a free lunch!

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I save it all! Just waiting for the price to go back up.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes i save it all and sometimes it is 2 years before i have enough to take to the scrap yard .. I save it in 55 gal drums in back of the garage when i think i have enough i put it in my trailer and head to the scrap yard ..

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nope. I do have a horse drawn cultivator I dug but no more iron. And a couple lengths of logging chain I am still using. Steel maybe - if it were a recognizable sword or firearm. Otherwise - trash or along a fence-line if it's too big to carry out. Lots stays right in the ground where it was.

gordonquixote

Apr 8, 2012
N FL
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Scrap iron is so cheap now that i dont even save truckloads of scrapmetal studs anymore. To load a truck and trailer , haul it, and unload it for $35 is silly.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I save lead, copper, brass, and aluminum, but, not iron. It takes up too much room for what little you can get for it currently. I put it into the recycling bin and let the city make what they can with it.

Mr.T

Sep 10, 2010
France
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Four of my favorite finds came out of the scrap pile. Be Very careful what you throw out- melt the rest

Check this video out.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread