SAW SOMETHING SHINY IN THE HOLE TODAY

Pennyworth

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2006
I decided to go to a city festival today, played some games and ate some food. Then I decided why not do a little metal detecting. I've detected this area before but never found any older coins. Within the first 15 minutes I dug a 1945 Mercury dime. :o I know it's not much compared to all the older silver coins most of you find but I was thrilled to find this today. I kept digging for another two hours and couldn't find any more silver, found 6 clad dimes and 10 pennies.

I felt like I was on display along with the festival, people kept driving by looking at me while I was detecting,along with many police officers. As I was finishing up for the day,one of the officers waved at me and smiled. I love that place,they just let you detect freely. ;D

Attachments

• Merc1.jpg
    Merc1.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 685
Upvote 0

christophernixon

Nov 20, 2005
NW Georgia
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
My first silver coin was a Merc - I'm still smiling!!!!

I think that the Mercury dime is one of the most attractive coins ever minted in the US - I just can't decide which one I like the most - Mercury or Standing Liberty - both pretty ladies to find looking up at you after a dig!!!! ;D

Congratulations - beautiful coin.

treasure diver

Mar 17, 2006
eastern KY.
Nice find. Back in 1962 I was vending manager for Pepsi.That was when the coins were silver & the coin boxes were full of them. I never dreamed I would be digging in the ground & be glad to find one today.

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Silver is alway's a good thing,no matter what it is.Nice find!!

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep! I agree....that's one of my favorite's to find!!!!

Congrats!!!

;)

A

Aguila

Nice find..silver is sweet. Ever thought of offering your detecting services to the police? Could be a door opener for some nice sites currently unavailable to you.

Green1

Silver Member
Mar 20, 2006
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Mxt 6x10 coil Massachusetts
ooohhh yyyaaa,,, ya gotta love mercs,, i would rather find one of them than a barber,,very nice ,, many many more ..... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions