Say Cheeeeese!!

Narthoniel

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2008
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal 2 and E Trac
Aww, dang it! You broke my camera! Now I can't take pictures of my pretty shinies. Hang on, flip this around, clean the glass....there we go!

Got out for a nice long hunt Sunday evening, and had some fun in the water. This is the 4th or 5th day in a row the lifeguards have flown red flags. While hunting, I noticed some suspicious activity. Police boat flying on the ocean, then shortly afterwards, a Coast Guard Helicopter spotlighting the water flying in circles. Then a little later, 2 Policemen on horses walking the beach with flashlights on the water. They said someone was missing from Croatan(a beach just south of where I was, half a mile to a mile.) Well, here ya go, something that shakes me up:
http://hamptonroads.com/2008/08/police-identify-norfolk-teen-who-drowned-virginia-beach

Gotta be careful. I read his boogie board washed in, and he wasn't seen again in a seperate article today. I was out hunting the entire time this all was going on, and noticed the copter leave the scene, and hoped they had him alive, but, was not to be. Sigh, moving on....

I did have a good hunt yesterday. Early on, I spotted some sunglasses partially buried in the surf. Those things give me hell when they are buried, so I was glad to get them easily :). Shortly thereafter, a young teenage girl asked me if my machine only picked up metal. When I told her yes, she seemed very upset, and turned to leave. I asked her if she had lost anything, and she said yes, her sunglasses. I asked her to describe them, and they were not the ones I had found. But, I figured, she needed them, and I didn't, so I gave them to her anyhow. She was happy, and went on her way.

A little bit later, I was greeted with a very nice suprise in my scoop, something round and golden! Looking at it, I thought it had to be fake tho, and chucked it in my pocket. There was writing on the outside, and on the inside, an inscription that I thought said, "MAI". But thankfully, my eyesight is not so good, and when I asked my wife what it said later, she said, 18k, and I about jumped through the roof!.
18k band.JPG
Another couple hours went by with only clad and trash, and I was nearing the end of my hunt, when I picked up a solid quarter sound. A few scoops later, a little scoop rinse, and bingo, another ring! And what a pretty little silver ring it is. Very soon after that, I scored a silver earring, which sounded like a nickle. Oh well, I am tone deaf anyway, and silver is silver :).
silver flower.JPG
Turns out I had one of my best clad totals for one hunt: $6.49. Only topped that once, maybe twice, but those were dry sand hunts. I did pick up about 50 cents in the dry sand on the way home(as well as a towel, and although I found someone's pants and sneakers, I left those behind.)
clad 8-24.JPG

Then today, I took some change to the bank, and was happy to finally cash in on some of my finds :). I am also glad I don't get charged at my bank the way coinstar rips you off. Just gotta pour in the coins, and it sorts and counts them for me.
cashin it in.JPG

Sorry if I was too longwinded. I hope you all are having fun and doing well.
May the gold be with you,
Anthony

Upvote 0

HalfSpeed

Feb 10, 2008
Enid, Mississippi
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle II, Ace 250's (2), Cobra Beach Magnet
I hate hearing about the teen. That happens way too often. Looks like you had a great hunt though. WTG :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

fldaphne

May 27, 2008
Gulfcoast of Florida
Detector(s) used
White's Beach Hunter ID
Awful news about the teenager.

I enjoyed your photos of your finds - really nice shots! What kind of camera do you use?

and great finds, too! Glad you had a good hunt.

mumszie

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2005
Spring Hill, Florida
The story is sad. It happened here recently to a visitor from Europe. She went swimming at CWB and an undertow caught her. How very sad for all concerned.

Your hunt turned out very nice indeed!

OP
OP
Narthoniel

Narthoniel

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2008
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal 2 and E Trac
It is most saddening and disheartening. I was praying for him soon as I realized what the copter was for. Did not know the outcome until today tho.

I enjoyed your photos of your finds - really nice shots! What kind of camera do you use?

Thank you, I use a Cannon Powershot A520. Not the best out there, so I have to use a few tricks to get the photos to be well lit and not fuzzy. I have had it for several years, and Im sure you could get one now for next to nothing.

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
oh boy NICE BLING and gold ta boot.... when I find my first gold ring..ya all are gonna say, Hey, did you hear something.... yeppers you will hear me doing the golden yodelling a big time..

guzz1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2007
Sarasota
Detector(s) used
Vanquish 540 . Carrot
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Nice HUnk of Cheese WtG Guzz :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread