Says 950...but not sure I am believing it

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Not 950 silver, not platinum either because it isn't all that heavy but it could be the least dense and lightest of the platinum group of metals...Palladium.
Still rare and if this 15.5 gram bracelet turns out to be real it is worth about $400 at today's palladium melt price.

Came up clean out if the ground like silver and gold does, one end was near the surface and the rest travelled almost straight down into the ground for several inches.
Found in a park in an area people could have just been hanging out but also an area that was the front lawn of one of several old houses that used to sit here.
On the Mojave it was near the line between nickel and tabs, on the F70 a 37-38 so I think that's about right.

After researching testing methods this is where the confusing stuff comes in.
Platinum testing methods don't really work on this metal according to most sites, some say you can use a combination of acids and testing paper but I don't have the paper.
I also don't have the glassware to do a water density weight conversion.
One site says a drop of 14k acid on the piece will instantly turn it dark and it did.
Another's says if you use 22k acid and a scratch test the scratch should turn yellow and then into a bright green.
I tried this and mine did exactly that.
Still I don't trust any of it so I will take it to a jeweler asap and hope they have better testing equipment and know what they are doing.

Till then I will be optimistic and think this idle actually palladium and be happy.

Palladium is only mined in a few sites on the entire planet and used by many industries and in a lot of products, catalytic converters are a huge thing, and it has been used in jewelry making since 1939.
Mostly as a filler for a long time, the bulk of the jewelry made with it is rings and they aren't usually cheap.
Only in recent times have they tried to come up with methods to cast and mold it into other shapes...it is the new darling of the jewelry industry, hypoallergenic, cheaper than platinum but looks similar and will look good for a lifetime.
I have seen a few bracelets online, some necklaces too but not everyone offers this metal.

Mine is made up of a lot of little round links so this could have been made at any time and could really be made of Palladium but those 950 marks are a relatively new thing.

Right now I am happy, I might have a rare find and I might have paid off my new Mojave and then some.
Bout time, I have had the thing two whole weeks already and I was wondering what was taking so long.

Attachments

• photostudio_1496862874770.jpg
    photostudio_1496862874770.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 185
  • photostudio_1496863204956.jpg
    photostudio_1496863204956.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 178
Last edited:
Upvote 22

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
I know platinum you can put in hydrogen peroxide and it will bubble. Not sure about palladium I don't think I have every found any. That 950 sure looks like Plad or possible silver which I have seen marked 950 also.. should be a big difference in weight between silver and Plad. Congrads no matter what, one interesting find..Keep us informed..

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No clue here. The stamp mark tells me it's a precious metal of some sort. Head to the jeweler and let us know what you got. Nice find whatever it is.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
950 - SILVER most likely - Ive gotten a couple of rings and 4 bracelets marked 950 that I knew were not platinum but just a higher grade of silver

OP
OP
digger27

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
950 - SILVER most likely - Ive gotten a couple of rings and 4 bracelets marked 950 that I knew were not platinum but just a higher grade of silver

Nope, don't believe it is silver.
I know how to test for that metal using 22k acid...this was a way different reaction.
Wish it did test for silver, but then I wouldn't have this little mystery on my hands.
Whatever it turns out to be it is fun hoping it is better than silver.

Last edited:

Electricfrontporch

Dec 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's an awesome find either way!
If it's palladium, well then $$$$$$$$&&$&

OP
OP
digger27

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
That's an awesome find either way!
If it's palladium, well then $$$$$$$$&&$&

I love it, even if it ends up disappointing me at the end of all this still fun hoping I found a pretty rare piece of jewelry.

The one thing that is in the back of my mind is even though there are casted, formed or poured jewelry pieces using palladium they are not all that common.
This is different...it is made up of a bunch of round links all assembled together.
I can see the possibility of some artist with a roll of palladium wire and a lot of time and patience putting together something like this.
Plus there is that mark and both the clasp and one of the links tested positive for this metal...kinda.

I will call a few jewelry places today and try to find one that can actually test for this metal correctly so stay tuned.

DFW_THer

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2008
Coinslaughtersville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett Carrot Glued To A Stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd be astonished if it was not 950 Mexican silver. It's a fantastic bracelet, and a wonderful find, but the reason I lean silver is because it's pretty crudely made. The links don't appear to be soldered closed, just bent. The 950 stamp is also very crudely done. The quality just doesn't seem present for a more precious metal. Color looks silver. No additional maker's marks..

Really, not trying to rain on your parade, just my gut!

I love all things shiny. :)

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sometimes its better to not know for a while and enjoy the pssibilities i found a gold ring once and felt great for a few days only to find out what i thought were the owners initials were markings for gold filled.I just wonder why someone would mark it silver dosent make sense I hope it is a valuable find......

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using TreasureNet.com mobile app

OP
OP
digger27

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
sometimes its better to not know for a while and enjoy the pssibilities i found a gold ring once and felt great for a few days only to find out what i thought were the owners initials were markings for gold filled.I just wonder why someone would mark it silver dosent make sense I hope it is a valuable find......

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using TreasureNet.com mobile app

Yea, I have found chains that have an Italy 925 mark that were total fakes, plus a couple of gold rings that were marked 14 and 18k that were a joke.
New they might have looked pretty good and fooled somebody but a dirt nap for a couple of years always reveals the truth.

This one came up cleaner than clean.
I should just keep it, stay in the dark and be happy but the wife doesn't want it, my curiosity is mounting and if I can find a place that will buy it if it actually is real turning it in for a few hundred bucks is tempting.
We will see.

Last edited:
OP
OP
digger27

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
I'd be astonished if it was not 950 Mexican silver. It's a fantastic bracelet, and a wonderful find, but the reason I lean silver is because it's pretty crudely made. The links don't appear to be soldered closed, just bent. The 950 stamp is also very crudely done. The quality just doesn't seem present for a more precious metal. Color looks silver. No additional maker's marks..

Really, not trying to rain on your parade, just my gut!

I love all things shiny. :)

Again, I know how to and have tested dozens of my jewelry finds for silver with pretty much 100% accuracy...this one just doesn't test that way at all.
That is what is confusing me.
Could still be silver with some kind of impurities throwing it off or who knows what but right now not sure...but it is sort of fun not knowing however that won't last long.
It is definitely some sort of white metal so we will see...eventually.

Last edited:

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jewelers can be a place to go, although I have found a few really nice rings, (men's wedding band style) that were unmarked, were not silver, and did not test as gold or plat., but I really wanted to know. Took it to a jeweler, and they did not know. I have found other rings that were marked stainless steel, titanium etc., but the nice looking thick unmarked ones can make me alittle crazy not knowing. Oh well. Your find is really nice, along with a bit of the unknown, OK, you've got me, now I to would like to know what you might have as well, I'm thinking it might be very good, hope so.

OP
OP
digger27

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
In the dirt in a park.
I have only found one tiny gold ring in the sand at a beach, all the rest of my jewelry has been found in public areas on land.
A little tougher than dedicated beach hunting but doable and challenging and extremely satisfying if you are up to it picking though trash which is usually what I have to do to find them.

Several dozen silver rings, medals, chains, earrings and other items, even a blingy silver grill once from around a basketball court.
About 3 dozen gold items, that one in the sand, one in a tot lot, three in grassy islands dividing up big parking lots, almost a dozen from around basketball courts and the rest all over public parks in just normal open areas and a couple from around picnic pavilions.
My gold includes mostly 10 and 14k but also a piece from India marked 916, 22k, and one that is so old it had no mark but tested fine at 22k and is so soft and malleable I believe it is actually 24k.

Also other metals like tungsten and stainless steel rings and more.

No platinum yet but maybe one day, Palladium wasn't even on my radar till I found this thing and did some research.
If this is real I think that would be pretty darn neat, a rare find in anyone's book but I will reserve judgement until I find out for sure.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
.25 better than sterling silver is what it is. imo. Nice find!

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Usually when it's platinum it says 950 pla or plat
But early silver was marked 950 for 95% pure rather than the more often found modern 925 (92.5%)
But who knows.
Does look more like silver than platinum but I've never found platinum, only looked at it lol

JoeDirty

Oct 7, 2016
Denver Colorado
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejón Black with a 5.75 concentric coil,
Tesoro Compadré 5.75 coil, Makro Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread