Scared to metal detect a park?

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
.... Personally, I consider parks fair game in the absence of any law.

yup

.... ask them "is there any law against MD'ing?". If Yes, ask them to cite you the law....

Yes, if someone REALLY feels the need to talk to a live person, this is the best way to phrase it. Rather than saying "can I metal detect?", you say "are there any laws/rules on the use of metal detectors?"

By phrasing it the latter way, it would SEEM to put the burden of proof on them to CITE any such law, if one existed. But the only problem is, you can STILL be subject to some desk-jockey quoting some ancillary verbiage they think applies. Eg.: alter, deface, remove, take, harvest, lost & found laws, etc.. Then what do you do ? Argue with them ? So .... just sayin'.... be careful with even that approach. And also: If they have to concede to you that the words "metal detect" don't appear in city code, you don't want them to get a wild idea to invent a rule to close this gap in wording, right ? Hence best not to swat hornet's nests at all, IMHO.

Last edited:

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
I will say one thing. As a woman in the hobby, I don't feel like a creeper when detecting around playgrounds during the day. Little bit of gender bias you guys have to deal with I'm guessing
laughing7.gif
Most of the time the kids ask what I'm doing and want to know what's in the holes, and the Mom's don't make any issues.

That's so true. I keep my distance when kids are around, but I still have my own kids to use as cover. I've had looks of disapproval when newcomers show up late to the party. Nobody questions you in the tot-lot when your kid runs over, snags your pinpointer and says, "Dad, I think there is something right here"! Then I eyeball those parents suspiciously!

Great observation!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Reading posts like this made me a little awkward on my first trips to the park. I felt like a criminal. WHAT LAWS WAS I BREAKING. I had read so many posts like these......

BINGO ! That's the exact genesis of these recurring forum inquiries is just as you put it. A new person to the hobby reads a post on the subject. Or some scary dire post of someone getting booted, or reads of some silly random city that ever dreamed up a "permit" So they wonder "gee, I wonder if it's allowed in my city".

In other words, it's the POSTs THEMSELVES that do nothing more than perpetuate the vicious circle. Doh! Like shark attacks on beach swimming: Extremely rare. But if you read ONE story (no matter how remote and rare) of some swimmer who got bit, guess what you'll fear next time you go swimming in the ocean ? SHARK ATTACKS.

Same with md'ing: a single post (or even a simple question with NO bootings or permits at issue), and ..... all skittish readers think "oh no, everyone dislikes us". When in fact you're likely ignored. So long as you use common sense.

OP
OP
Detecto

Detecto

Mar 25, 2016
Detector(s) used
White's MXT ALL PRO 13" Detech and Eclipse 950 Coils
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
While were on the subject of permission...

Probably grey area..but just curious.

How does everyone here feel about driving by, with detector in car, and seeing a bit of land where a house once stood, with maybe a windmill or a well.

There are no "posted" or "no trespassing" signs up either.

Would you go? The law here says you cannot be legally be arrested for trespassing if the land owner doesn't put up a sign.

Where I live isn't the type of place where you would get a gun pulled on you for being on someone else's land, like some areas of the deep south.

Finding out who owns the land is tricky too, and some land isn't even owned, it's in possession of the auction company, or bank, or the owners live in another state and just cash-rent it to a farmer.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Just show them the bag of razor blades and syringes you've picked up in the park if anyone asks.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used

How does everyone here feel about driving by, with detector in car, and seeing a bit of land where a house once stood, with maybe a windmill or a well.

Would you go? The law here says you cannot be legally be arrested for trespassing if the land owner doesn't put up a sign......

Ha, you're asking this on a public forum , where some people think you need permission for park sandboxes ? Naturally you're going to get the right answer of
no"/ Nor can you take the short-cut path across the corner weed-choked vacant lot on your morning walk either. And don't go 56 in a 55 zone, etc....

.... the type of place where you would get a gun pulled on you for being on someone else's land, like some areas of the deep south.....

I don't know about "being shot" for a non-posted non fenced derelict abandoned spot like you portray. If anyone has an example of someone "being shot" for something this (gasp) egregious, please link us. If someone lives in such a state with trigger-happy rednecks "waiting to shoot md'rs who steps off the sidewalk", then by all means, don't step off the sidewalk. I just haven't heard of killings of md'rs lately. Would love to see a link of such a thing, if someone has one ! :)

Last edited:

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
They'd probably say "Hey you! Are you putting a coil over my soil? Hold on let me get my detector and I'll join you!"

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other

Would you go? The law here says you cannot be legally be arrested for trespassing if the land owner doesn't put up a sign.

Where I live isn't the type of place where you would get a gun pulled on you for being on someone else's land, like some areas of the deep south.

Finding out who owns the land is tricky too, and some land isn't even owned, it's in possession of the auction company, or bank, or the owners live in another state and just cash-rent it to a farmer.

Swagger into the place like you own it and have a ball!

Good hunting!

0:laughing9:

oredigger62

Jun 12, 2013
Austinville Va.
Detector(s) used
Fisher goldbug 2
Garrett infinium
garrett AT-MAX
Garrett sea hunter mark 2
Fisher gemini 3 ( two box )
Equinox 800
Nokta Simplex
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most towns and cities have their ordinances posted online , as do most parks and rec areas. A quick google search should bring up the list ... just put metal detecting in the search bar. Many times that will show you if it is prohibited by actual wording. If in doubt then i would ask the police department. Most of them use detectors nowadays so it's usually not a problem. Case in point. I used to detect over in Cascade park in ohio back in the 80's and 90's. It was a city park. I was bent down digging a buff nickel and all of a sudden the police showed up. He said he saw me and wondered if i would help him find a badge he lost in a foot pursuit a while back . When it was found it opened many doors for me in the area. Fast forward to 2008 and the park was taken over by a county entity and metal detecting is prohibited except for sandy beaches... which this park has none. Also allowed are dry creek beds... which this park has none. So laws and rules do change.

I think i would ask somebody so at least you have a name to go by... You wouldn't want a new to the job Barney Fife wanting to confiscate your equipment because he thinks he is saving the world. If you get caught fishing without a license they confiscate your gear , same with hunting. Besides , the police can always use another confiscated detector to hunt for evidence...

When they tell you to go ahead just don't leave any holes... you can detect without the feeling of looking over your shoulder all the time and then you can have a blast.

cajamk

Jan 5, 2017
Northern Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well it sounds like you have plenty of advice. So just go for it and let us know what you find!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just use the common sense the lord gave you and have a good time. Go EARLY in the A.M. Sunrise is THE best time to hit a City Park! You can usually get in two-hours before anyone gets in your face. Be polite, walk away if confronted. As far as just driving by? It's a 60/40 shot in your favor if it isn't posted. I always strike at dawn on an iffy location. That is your best shot at getting it done! :skullflag:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Most towns and cities have their ordinances posted online , as do most parks and rec areas. A quick google search should bring up the list ... just put metal detecting in the search bar. Many times that will show you if it is prohibited by actual wording. If in doubt then i would ask the police department..... .

If it came back with zero hits on the key words of "metal detectors" or "metal detecting", then if it were me : I would "have no doubts" :) Hence not needing to proceed to the step of "asking the police", for a question that's already been answered.

..... Barney Fife wanting to confiscate your equipment..... .

In-so-far as the subject of this thread (normal routine run-of-the-mill public parks with no prohibitions) ... can you cite any incident of "equipment confiscations" ? Perhaps I'm just missing something here ?

Last edited:

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Also, smile and nod/wave to folks who catch your eye, especially cops. Be friendly to everyone; don't have a chip on your shoulder like some hunters seem to.
Cops are hardwired to suspect you if you act like a criminal and consider you to probably be a good guy if you act like one. Funny how that works with most everyone too. Act like an AHat and youll probably be treated like one.

I've lost track of how many times I've spoken with some authority who was interested in my finds. Theyre people too. (caveat: I live in the semi rural South, so you big city hunters may not experience this)

Only once have I been challenged. At a small town library on a sunday when they weren't open. Head librarian was pretty protective of her turf. I told her it was completely legal, she pressed, I kept it friendly and mentioned that I had spoken personally with the Chief of Popo who stated that there was no law/ordinance against it (truth). She backed down. Have the facts on your side and detect away.

Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
... Cops are hardwired to suspect you if you act like a criminal and consider you to probably be a good guy if you act like one. Funny how that works with most everyone too....

Bingo. If you/we walk around with a persona and nervous gaze which portrays "Oh no ! Does he see me ??". Then passerby cops pick up on that body language. And it will just make them think "gee what is he doing ?" And "gee do we allow that ?", etc..... Contrast to if you smile big and wave, they just ignore you!

Example: When I was about 22 or 23-ish here in CA, there was a friend in my social circle who was still only 20. Not the 21 drinking age, to get into bars. Yet he could get into ANY bar in town. He didn't look a day over 20 (so "looks" was not the reason for lack-of-being carded at the door). Instead, he learned to go right up to the bouncer at the door, give a big grin and a high 5 slap-happy hand-shake. And a loud "HOW YA DOING TONIGHT ??" while smiling ear to ear.

They NEVER carded him. Instead, the bouncers card the person who is acting evasive, and trying to skirt the view of the bouncer. Cutting a wide berth away from the bouncer , etc.... It was a real eye-opener to life in general, (human nature) that this guy had figured out.

Nicksan

Nov 17, 2005
So. Cal.
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Stock and 6" coils
Whites M6 & MXT, Super 12 & 6x8 Detech coils
Miccus Bluetooth headphones & Ratphones
Lesche
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Go early in the morning at sunrise on a Sunday and try to hunt in locations that are away from foot traffic and near the back of the park. Then the next Sunday do the same thing but this time hunt the other areas wearing a yellow or orange safety vest to stand out as if you are supposed to be there. If you act and appear as if you THINK you are doing nothing wrong then you are less likely to be hassled by someone.

foiler

Mar 17, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Wilson-Neuman, Whites, Minelab, Tesoro and others I've long since forgotten
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you are confident in your right to detect but have reservations about being observed then you need to select a time when your visibility would be diminished. I find in these instances weather is your friend. Depending on your constitution and your level of desire to hunt the area pick a nice rainy, chilly day when everyone is scurrying head down seeking cover. It's amazing how invisible you can become. If that isn't your thing then time of day can be beneficial. Early AM Sunday morning usually finds peace and quiet.

oredigger62

Jun 12, 2013
Austinville Va.
Detector(s) used
Fisher goldbug 2
Garrett infinium
garrett AT-MAX
Equinox 800
Nokta Simplex
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it came back with zero hits on the key words of "metal detectors" or "metal detecting", then if it were me : I would "have no doubts" :) Hence not needing to proceed to the step of "asking the police", for a question that's already been answered.

In-so-far as the subject of this thread (normal routine run-of-the-mill public parks with no prohibitions) ... can you cite any incident of "equipment confiscations" ? Perhaps I'm just missing something here ?

Actually i can... I personally lost a detector in 1999 to a guy like this. The park where i was detecting was within a quarter of a mile from my home. Sometime in the previous 2 years they changed the rules to allow metal detecting with a permit and it must be carried with you . As it turns out the permit was only one dollar and you could only get it by phoning the office or by regular mail. I just checked and there policy is still intact... by mail or phone only. NO internet means to obtain one. Anyway , i wasn't aware of any changes and had seen the patrol cars many times while searching. One day out of the blue i get a tap on the shoulder.. scared the bejesus out of me. I stood up and it was a young guy in his mid twenties. I didn't have a permit as i said i wasnt aware of any changes to the rules. This dude carried all the rules around in his pocket. It took 8 months to get my detector back , and there has never been a sign posted anywhere. Another club member used to tell his stories of losing his to a Pennsylvania state trooper... Bottom line... it happens . Not every place is california.

oredigger62

Jun 12, 2013
Austinville Va.
Detector(s) used
Fisher goldbug 2
Garrett infinium
garrett AT-MAX
Equinox 800
Nokta Simplex
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is their latest info... they even have a " FIRST AMENDMENT " permit... i am going to check it out in a minute.

Permission to metal detect in Cleveland Metroparks is granted for surface-mining only. Digging is strictly prohibited, except in beach areas (Edgewater Beach, Euclid Beach, Villa Angela Beach, Huntington Beach, Perkins Beach, Wallace Lake, and Hinckley Spillway area only), where metal detecting is permitted during the non-swimming season only (from October 1 to May 15). Holes created in beach areas are to be no deeper than 12 inches and are to be filled in immediately upon completion of the dig.

Metal detecting must not interfere with other park activities. Please extend care, consideration and courtesy to other park visitors at all times.
Cleveland Metroparks (except beach areas)
Permission to metal detect in Cleveland Metroparks is granted for SURFACE MINING ONLY...NO digging
Beach Areas only:
Metal detecting will be allowed on any sandy portions of beach areas (Edgewater Beach, Perkins Beach, Wallace Lake Beach, Huntington Beach, Euclid Beach, Villa Angela Beach, Hinckley Spillway Beach) from Oct. 1st – May 15th. Digging is permitted, but holes created in beach areas are to be no deeper than 12 inches and are to be filled in immediately upon completion of the dig.
A Metal Detecting Permit is issued for the calendar year in which it is requested. All permits expire December 31.

That was cut and paste. When they send out the application to fill out they send the rules sheet along with it which you also sign and date. Sure wish i still had one around.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread