Scared to metal detect a park?

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
I will go to local parks while many are present. They are playing or watching ball games, & they don't mind my being there if I stay out of the area they are using. I go up near the fans to deposit my trash. I haven't had a problem doing this. If an authority figure or someone who can report to them is having a bad day & you are the only person in the park, guess who gets the negative attention? I feel safer when others are there. Best wishes, all!

Mifarmer

Jun 30, 2014
Barry county
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO x2 XP DEUS!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Detect after 5 pm when they all go home, wear a set of usmc digies and go minesweeping!

darktower007

Feb 21, 2017
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus/Vaquero/At Max/fisher f70/carrot pen pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Reading posts like this made me a little awkward on my first trips to the park. I felt like a criminal. WHAT LAWS WAS I BREAKING. I had read so many posts like these.

Now I just do my thing. No one cares.

I remember the first time I saw a lifeguard patrolling down the beach. My heartrate went up, I was SURE he was going to ask me what I was doing. I looked into my bag of trash for the hunk of barbed wire I had removed from the sand, ready to offer it to the Lifeguards for their blessings. I peeked under the brim of my hat as the red truck got closer, my heartrate increasing, ready for confrontation.

The truck came closer...

closer...

And drove right past without even looking at me.

Same with park maintenance, city cops, motorcycle cops, and basically everyone else. People got things to do much more important than worry about someone swinging a detector on public grounds. 99% of the time everyone is worried about their own lives, not yours.

Sure, don't break the law, do a quick search for the do's and don'ts on your city's website regarding their parks. And be about your business. Be clean and neat when detecting on public property on manicured lawns, etc etc.

I will say one thing. As a woman in the hobby, I don't feel like a creeper when detecting around playgrounds during the day. Little bit of gender bias you guys have to deal with I'm guessing :laughing7: Most of the time the kids ask what I'm doing and want to know what's in the holes, and the Mom's don't make any issues.

I have read countless by laws rules and regulations in Chattanooga, but I can't find much. Obviously you can't swing in the battlefields but other parks if there isn't anything posted it's fair game in my book.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Too many places you can hunt. If in doubt, don't whip it out. But if you don't swing, you won't find it

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd do that in a New York second. Park?.. no signs?...I'm in. I'm only on "high alert" in bad hood neighborhoods. Hell I did our City Hall at 6:35am on a Sunday. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

FFFPatriot

Feb 21, 2017
Montana
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug II, 4 Kidde brand smoke detectors, and 1 carbon monoxide detector I bought from Home Depot (can't remember the brand).
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You could put one of these on at a park while metal detecting. It should take some of the fear away...

Attachments

• 853f38d3e968129aa1a9431ae8944fe8.jpg
    853f38d3e968129aa1a9431ae8944fe8.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 56

SweetCorn

Oct 2, 2016
East Bay, CA
Detector(s) used
Excal 2, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was really hesitant to start hunting parks. Mostly because I wasn't confident in my ability to dig clean plugs and leave no trace, so I practiced some. I'm with those who say act like you belong there and no one gives you any guff. Lots of people are interested in what you are finding.

It also doesn't hurt that this area has had active MDers for decades so I think the cops/parks and rec, etc. know what's going on. I will admit I want to hunt a very busy grassy park that is directly across the street from the main police station, but I haven't gotten the guts yet. Some early Sunday morning I'll give it a go.

I've been going to some urban parks recently and I'm convinced any passing cop that sees me is glad to see me in that park. I'm at least one person in the park who isn't homeless, drunk, urinating in full view of the public or "working" (prostitution appearing activity is pretty common). I'd add smoking weed too but that's essentially not a crime here anymore. 92 coins in 4 hours today plus some ugly ass bling. I'll take it!!

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Low have a hat and vest myself but haven't had to use it. I'm never noticed.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread