Scavenger Hunt for Kids... (Put Your Gold Plated Halves to Good Use)

AdDicted2Ag

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey everyone.. Recently my sister mentioned to me that she was organizing a scavenger hunt for her students at the local elementary school.. Suddenly something dawned on me... Up to this point, I had close to two rolls of gold plated halves sitting around.. I decided to go visit her at school and ended up donating the "gold coins" so she could hide them for all of the kids in the Saint Patty's day scavenger hunt.. It was a huge hit.. The kids were supposedly jumping for joy when they would find one and I was told that it made their scavenger hunt better than it ever was before.. From now on, all my gold plated halves will be put aside for the kids every year.. I know this isn't an extremely important post, but I thought It would be good information to share and perhaps others would be interested in doing the same thing.. Not only could this get younger kids into coins, but it is also a great way to spread some joy.. Just a thought... Either way.. Hope your week of searching starts well.. Happy hunting all...

Upvote 0

Joshr29

May 23, 2012
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
U think its a great post. That was pretty good of you to do that. Kids love stuff like that. What exactly were those made for anyway? My wife brought me home one from the bank the other day. HH

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not a bad idea! I've thrown halves in fields before so one day when clad halves are valuable maybe a lucky Metal Detectorist will find them

OP
OP
AdDicted2Ag

AdDicted2Ag

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is nothing like detecting a clad half.. Always a bummer that it isn't silver.. lol..

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
That was a great idea, I bet the kids loved it! $20.00 for charity huh, trying to build that karma up pretty good for the Silver Gods huh, lol. Seriuosly, very cool of you! HH, Maverick.

OP
OP
AdDicted2Ag

AdDicted2Ag

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good plan. get um rolling while they're young & they'll be rolling for life.

COuldn't agree more.. I also have to say, while I don't agree with the importance you place on the Penny vs Cent argument, your signature literally had me laughing out loud.. I LOVE IT!

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey man, wonderful idea! I applaud you for doing something that touched and will touch hundreds of children's childhoods on a positive way, not only will this possibly spark an interest in coin collecting leading to young numismatists, but also it is nicer for a child to find a real "gold" coin rather than the chocolate ones... way to go!!
hh
buff

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A whole new era of CRH's - searching for those gold plated halves!

OP
OP
AdDicted2Ag

AdDicted2Ag

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A whole new era of CRH's - searching for those gold plated halves!

I was going to give them two rolls of 90%s but I figured they wouldn't know the value.. lol... ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread