Skunked 16 boxes straight

gmrestoparts

Mar 6, 2013
Georgia
Primary Interest:
Other
So...I had been coleecting cents nickels and dimes for a while now (Gave up on quarters since after about $2000 worth I had found NO SILVER). Decided to jump into the Kennedy's. I have bought 16 $500 boxes and so far have not only found NO SILVER, but NO PROOFS, NOTHING. A lot of the boxes I have gone through have had marked coins in them...am I too late to get into the game in my area or do I just need to keep trying? At this time I have my bank getting $4000 a week for me, but I think all I am doing is pissing off my dump bank(s) who have been a great source for silver dimes (Got an entire roll of 1955D's from them)...Thoughts?

Upvote 0

kfs

Jul 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So...I had been coleecting cents nickels and dimes for a while now (Gave up on quarters since after about $2000 worth I had found NO SILVER). Decided to jump into the Kennedy's. I have bought 16 $500 boxes and so far have not only found NO SILVER, but NO PROOFS, NOTHING. A lot of the boxes I have gone through have had marked coins in them...am I too late to get into the game in my area or do I just need to keep trying? At this time I have my bank getting $4000 a week for me, but I think all I am doing is pissing off my dump bank(s) who have been a great source for silver dimes (Got an entire roll of 1955D's from them)...Thoughts?

It certainly does not sound like you are sitting in the middle of a silver rush as far as halves go but you never know when that really nice box will show up at your favorite teller's window.
That is the real problem, when will that really nice box show up and will I miss it?
Only you can tell if it is time to drop halves and stick with what has been working. You could always stop for a month or two and try your luck after that.

Infowarrior

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2012
Fema Region 3
Detector(s) used
NOX 800, Ace 250, Garret Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could be that you have tapped into a dump source... and are just searching other hunters dumps...

Try getting from different banks in your area

OP
OP
G

gmrestoparts

Mar 6, 2013
Georgia
Primary Interest:
Other
I have gone to EVERY bank in my local area (Small city, Warner Robins, GA)and only BB&T would even order them for me. I asked them to check on ordering IKE's. The Kennedys have started taking up all my time and stopped my dime searching...it takes a while to go through $4000 in Kennedys each week, esp when I have been looking at each and every one of them, not just searching the sides of the rolls for silver.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think there is a big misconception when it comes to CRHing. The misconception being that there are boxes and boxes of coins containing wagon-loads of silver that have been collecting dust in a vault at the Fed or coin couriers' facilities for years. "If I could just get past all these newer, mostly skunk boxes, I could get to the 'good' stuff", is a very common thought among CRHers. I personally believe - but have no way to prove - that this is just not true for the most part. Sure, the law of averages says there are a few boxes out there somewhere that haven't seen the light of day for 10-20+ years, but for the most part I think those boxes are long gone.

What you are really searching for when you CRH, is recently dumped silver...and hopefully a big collection. If no silver gets dumped into your system, then you aren't going to find any. Its as simple as that. If you have a big-time CRHer(s) and/or many small-time CRHers dumping into your system (and I'd guess that every system has multiple CRHers dumping into them regularly), then you have even a smaller chance of finding that elusive silver as their dumps "pollute" your supply.

16 skunk boxes in a row is a lot, but more common than you may think. You might get to 100 boxes or more without a single silver half dollar. Your next box may have 100 keepers. As I said above, what your waiting on is that big collection to get dumped and at least a portion of it find its way into your boxes. There is no way to predict where and when that collection is going to get dumped. As for the marked coins, just ignore them. They're very common. For the most part us CRHers just trade each others dumps back and forth, hoping some silver gets mixed in somewhere. I would venture to guess that if it was a rule that you had to mark each clad half everytime you searched and dumped them, 90%+ of the coins would be so marked up that there would be no room on the coin to add your own mark. Again thats just more speculation on my part.

Only you can decide when "enough is enough" and give up. I do know that you cannot win if you do not play. But, there does come a point when it just wouldn't be worth the effort, and no one can decide just exactly where that point is but you. For example, I like to fish. I've heard it said many times that, "A bad day on the water is better than a good day at work", or something along those lines. With that said, if I had fished the same lake many times without catching a single fish, I'd have to at least consider switching lakes. If switching lakes didn't produce different results, eventually I'd look for a new hobby.

mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
whites classic sl,whites surfmaster,garrett ATX,minelab vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think there is a big misconception when it comes to CRHing. The misconception being that there are boxes and boxes of coins containing wagon-loads of silver that have been collecting dust in a vault at the Fed or coin couriers' facilities for years. "If I could just get past all these newer, mostly skunk boxes, I could get to the 'good' stuff", is a very common thought among CRHers. I personally believe - but have no way to prove - that this is just not true for the most part. Sure, the law of averages says there are a few boxes out there somewhere that haven't seen the light of day for 10-20+ years, but for the most part I think those boxes are long gone.

What you are really searching for when you CRH, is recently dumped silver...and hopefully a big collection. If no silver gets dumped into your system, then you aren't going to find any. Its as simple as that. If you have a big-time CRHer(s) and/or many small-time CRHers dumping into your system (and I'd guess that every system has multiple CRHers dumping into them regularly), then you have even a smaller chance of finding that elusive silver as their dumps "pollute" your supply.

16 skunk boxes in a row is a lot, but more common than you may think. You might get to 100 boxes or more without a single silver half dollar. Your next box may have 100 keepers. As I said above, what your waiting on is that big collection to get dumped and at least a portion of it find its way into your boxes. There is no way to predict where and when that collection is going to get dumped. As for the marked coins, just ignore them. They're very common. For the most part us CRHers just trade each others dumps back and forth, hoping some silver gets mixed in somewhere. I would venture to guess that if it was a rule that you had to mark each clad half everytime you searched and dumped them, 90%+ of the coins would be so marked up that there would be no room on the coin to add your own mark. Again thats just more speculation on my part.

Only you can decide when "enough is enough" and give up. I do know that you cannot win if you do not play. But, there does come a point when it just wouldn't be worth the effort, and no one can decide just exactly where that point is but you. For example, I like to fish. I've heard it said many times that, "A bad day on the water is better than a good day at work", or something along those lines. With that said, if I had fished the same lake many times without catching a single fish, I'd have to at least consider switching lakes. If switching lakes didn't produce different results, eventually I'd look for a new hobby.
A well thought out reply from a veteran CRHer.

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
also, if you aren't getting anything from halves or quarters try dimes or better yet nickels. I have had luck with nickels and the neat thing is that if you don't find war nickels, you might get lucky and find some buffalos. Either way I find usually find something. The longest skunk streak i have had is 12 boxes. But good luck and may the Silver Lady smile on ya.

sincerely, Garoulady

AdDicted2Ag

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Focus primarily on dimes buddy and try just searching CWR halves for now.. I searched halves for a long time until they dried up entirely in my area.. Last year I focused on dimes and made an absolute killing for awhile until they dried up as well.. Now I am back searching halves again and they are producing a little for me.. You need to follow the silver.. If dimes are producing then search them until they dry up.. If halves are producing, search them.. It sounds like you are having good luck with dimes.. If I were you I would be searching high volume dimes.. Up until a few weeks ago, I was searching about 6-8k in dimes every week and filled nearly 10 rolls in just 4 months.. You have to follow the silver brick road..

OP
OP
G

gmrestoparts

Mar 6, 2013
Georgia
Primary Interest:
Other
Focus primarily on dimes buddy and try just searching CWR halves for now.. I searched halves for a long time until they dried up entirely in my area.. Last year I focused on dimes and made an absolute killing for awhile until they dried up as well.. Now I am back searching halves again and they are producing a little for me.. You need to follow the silver.. If dimes are producing then search them until they dry up.. If halves are producing, search them.. It sounds like you are having good luck with dimes.. If I were you I would be searching high volume dimes.. Up until a few weeks ago, I was searching about 6-8k in dimes every week and filled nearly 10 rolls in just 4 months.. You have to follow the silver brick road..

Yeah...I have been having great luck with dimes. I just deposited the last of my 1/2's and I have $4000 more coming in this week. I bought $380 in dimes to keep me busy until Wednesday

OP
OP
G

gmrestoparts

Mar 6, 2013
Georgia
Primary Interest:
Other
Ive also pulled out about a dozen war nickels...I think if I dont get anything this time, I am going to give 1/2s a break for a while

AdDicted2Ag

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah...I have been having great luck with dimes. I just deposited the last of my 1/2's and I have $4000 more coming in this week. I bought $380 in dimes to keep me busy until Wednesday

Awesome.. I think it is important for people to understand that this is a hobby not a job.. Many people refuse to search volume dimes, because they won't make as much money or they wont hit a BIG BOX.. WHile your overall take may be less with dimes than halves, they are all 90%s which is a big plus IMO... Don't be closed off to hitting dimes really hard.. Since most people neglect them, a high volume dime hunter can pull some serious Ag out of circulation..

OP
OP
G

gmrestoparts

Mar 6, 2013
Georgia
Primary Interest:
Other
4th roll of dimes in and I got me a real nice 1996W...Ive been looking for one of those for a little while now!

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with almost all of what ArkieBassMan says. However, I do think we get down to the old boxes from time to time (but it is very hard - I think the coin couriers mostly deal with coins on a last-in, first-out basis).

My best box, which was not even close to a "dream" box as defined on this forum but was far better than any other box I've had, had no marked coins whatsoever. No edge marks, no obverse/reverse marks. It had the same code stamped on it as several boxes I received earlier from the same branch that produced nothing spectacular (maybe a skunk, mayble a few keepers). I'd be surprised if someone dumped $500 or so in halves from a collection that largely consisted of clad (who would save a lot of clad circulated coins?), so I'm assuming the box sat there for a while.

I agree with Arkie that most of the halves being dumped into circulation now come from CRHers. Even if the dumper doesn't mark coins, the changes are this his/her dumped coins include a lot of halves previously marked by others.

As soon as I was into my best box, I ordered another one from the same bank right away, hoping to snag some more boxes from the same place on the pallet. However, the next box came in freshly stamped with a new code I hadn't seen before, and sure enough it was an awful skunk box.

minkybodl

Aug 19, 2011
I don't understand what you said that where you are dumping your halves at is also a good source of dimes and that you might be getting them mad. You are not picking up dimes but dumping halves all at the same bank are you? Because they most likely would get mad about that, I would think. Maybe try to find the next nearest BB&T bank around and order a few of your boxes from them and also locate any of the banks that you use to dump at around them or on the way so that you can do both at the same time. I go to three different other towns near me and while it wouldn't be worth the while to just go there to get some coins the fact that I am also dumping and thereby taking pressure off of my local banks helps. For me twenty miles North and the coins are coming out of Tampa and twenty miles South and they are from Ft Meyers. Maybe there would even be a different bank with a different supplier who will order for you. Hope you have some better luck soon, HH.

OP
OP
G

gmrestoparts

Mar 6, 2013
Georgia
Primary Interest:
Other
I get my nickels/dimes from Robins Federal Credit Union, they are all member rolls. I get my halves from BB&T, only one of the 2 branches here will even order them. So, I get the halves from BB&T and dump them at Robins. I dont want Robins to close my accounts on me as I have great luck with nickels and dimes, although I got a call 2 weeks ago from the VP of Accounts saying they would only do 1 for 1 exchanges from now on...ie I bring them $200 in dimes, they give me $200 in dimes. I told the VP I would still be dumping halves on them and while she wasnt happy about it, she didnt say I couldnt do it.

OtraVez

Aug 14, 2011
Akron, OH
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes it sucks. I am on 24k in skunks. That is 48 in a row no silver. It is ok though I am finding stuff in teller vaults though. Keeps me going seeing that people still find stuff in boxes near me.

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I get my nickels/dimes from Robins Federal Credit Union, they are all member rolls. I get my halves from BB&T, only one of the 2 branches here will even order them. So, I get the halves from BB&T and dump them at Robins. I dont want Robins to close my accounts on me as I have great luck with nickels and dimes, although I got a call 2 weeks ago from the VP of Accounts saying they would only do 1 for 1 exchanges from now on...ie I bring them $200 in dimes, they give me $200 in dimes. I told the VP I would still be dumping halves on them and while she wasnt happy about it, she didnt say I couldnt do it.

If you started dropping 4k on your dump branch all of the sudden, and they have allready called you now about other coin transactions, I would slow down a bit, 4k is a big dump on a bank that you haven't been dumping halves on for sometime and built that relationship with. Trying to order and dump 4k right off the bat using only 2 branches is playing with fire, I spread that out through 8 branches ( 4 order branches and 4 dump branches when I started halves), though I would love to be able to work it to 2 branches, but it is too much IMHO for everyweek with just 2 branches to deal with. Good Luck, Maverick.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other

Well said. Very little silver has circulated since 1970. Even if you did get to the bottom of a pallet, I'm sure that the coin courier would take boxes off a new pallet, and not order from the Fed.

MentalUnrest

Nov 14, 2010
Go with what is producing. Halves were great in my area 3 years ago and then I went on a 99 box skunk streak. No exaggeration.

Switched to dimes and for over year and a half I pulled at least a full roll of silver every week. About every 2 months I would do a sample week and order all halves to see if things may have change.

I have ordered dimes, pennies, quarters, nickels and halves and also bought a Ryedale to sell copper and wheats. There are so many ways to make money outside of looking at halves. The variety adds the enjoyment that was nearly gone when I was spinning my wheels with halves.

Also, I believe this forum gives the impression nearly all people a making out like bandits when it comes to finding silver. Most are not, but most do not post there poor results and generally post on the good boxes. If every member posted their skunks, the site would be mainly about that and not about the big scores they have.

Good luck.

MU

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread