Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Florida- Somewhere in the middle
Detector(s) used
MXT 300/Excal II/Surf Dual Field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since I scored big the other day, and saw what a real scoop can do for your hunt, I bought this one.... I will be sure to let you and others know when I get it.. Looks pretty rugged, not as big as the sunspot, but the people who bought them seemed pretty impressed and happy with them once they got them..
I was thinking Sunspot, but since I will be moving away from the surf and sand in a few months, I went the cheaper route..

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The basket is a knock off on the Sunspot but takes the square hardware handle. Foot pad it smaller and would be harder to get control. I didn't look at the price.

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sunspot is probably a better scoop, but compared to the tiny RTG scoop I have now, even the knockoff is a monster, and it will have to do for a while....

Phil_R

Mar 27, 2010
Live Oak, FL
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Garrett / Minelab / Whites / XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Toymad said:
Does anyone have this scoop. I would like to know if it is any good.

http://stores.ebay.com/altona-equipment

Thank's

I have one... strong and well made. My primary use is wet sand and waters edge, never gave the foot pad a second thought as far as size or control.

Click for large picture

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Scoop on EBAy- REVIEW-

As some of you know, I bought this $99 scoop shown in this thread.... It arrived about a week ago, pretty fast shipping.. S&H was included in the price, which was a big plus...
The scoop is slightly smaller than the sunspot, but not enough really for me to think it is a big difference.. It is VERY well made, and I like the hole pattern it has. I got a post earring in it that had it not had the area of small holes near the back of the scoop, I wouldnt have got it..
Although it says the post hole handle can be had at any hardware store, it was not the case for my area.. Lowes, Home Depot, ACE, and even a couple farmer supply stores all had posthole digger handles, but they were either round ones, or square that were about a 1/4 inch too small...
I finally found ONE that fit it at a small hardware store in my town.. I guess I could have ordered one online if I couldnt have found one..
The angle I like, and the only complaint I would have (minor issue) is the foot pad.. It really needs to be about an inch wider on each side.. In heavy surf (which seems to be the case in my last two outings), and the cloudy water that accompanies it, I found that I would put my foot more on one side or the other, and it would want to twist and end up sideways.. A larger pad area would fix that. But I also think the more I get used to it, that will become less of an issue..
All in all, the thickness, solid build, and great price make this a winner for sure.. A Sunspot with shipping included would have cost me about $200 (including handle)... SO for half the money, I ended up with a very good scoop.... Hope this helps, and if anyone wants me to post pictures of it with the handle, I will do so...

HH All!

Montauk3

Nov 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2 \ Sovereign GT BeachHunter ID
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

Attachments

• revca.JPG
    revca.JPG
    51.4 KB · Views: 1,740

halfstep

May 11, 2010
I've been looking at that $99 ebay scoop really hard myself. I will probably buy one soon. One thing I like about it better than the sunspot is the handle. I like the post hole digger handle because it will allow a person to make different handles. If I had one, I would make a small curved handle so I can use it as a hand held scoop. This would make it easier to use on those great gravel river beaches. Plus, when going in the water, it would be easy to reattach the long handle. I like this style of scoop because it is pointed at the leading edge. This will make it better for pushing through the gravel or sand.

sandsifter

Dec 14, 2007
Rockport Texas
Detector(s) used
SOV GT, EXCAL 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I still like my portable back hoe. The beach brute with stainless lip for the water. It is light for it's size.I imagine it would be heavy if it was all stainless

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sandsifter said:
I still like my portable back hoe. The beach brute with stainless lip for the water. It is light for it's size.I imagine it would be heavy if it was all stainless

I have the same one sifter, with the stainless steel lip, it will not bend, tear or twist and it is light, the foot pad is very wide making it easy to use in the surf. I sprayed the top part of the handle handle with plasti-dip which helps keep my hands clean, added screen you would use to keep leaves out of your gutters at the bottom cornor below foot pad to catch stud earrings and then the pro handle................

Cabana Dan

Greenie
May 9, 2009
I too am looking at this scoop. Silver Surfer, what type of handle is it that you had to buy? I too have all the hardware stores that you mentioned and am thinking that I may have a tough time finding the right handle.
Dan

halfstep

May 11, 2010
Cabana Dan said:
I too am looking at this scoop. Silver Surfer, what type of handle is it that you had to buy? I too have all the hardware stores that you mentioned and am thinking that I may have a tough time finding the right handle.
Dan

The handle he is talking about is a post hole digger handle that is square on the botton end. Post hole digger handles aren't hard to find but some are smaller than others. This makes it fit loose. If you buy this scoop, you will have to look around and find a post hole digger handle that fits it. You would think that all post hole digger handles are a stardard size but apparently they aren't. If a person has trouble finding the right size handle, you can sand any varnish off the side of the handle and glue some thin wood to the side the cut it to fit.

trubl1096

Oct 17, 2006
Landlocked
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x/ Aquapulse/ WHITE'S II
I have that scoop! It works great and cuts the soil like crazy. Heavier rock slows it down but has not bent a part on it yet. I would buy another if I needed. I had no problems finding a handle to fit and the foot pad it easy to control. I put a hole in the top of my handle with a piece of rope through it to so I can sling it on my shoulder, plus with a piece of foam on it, it will float handle up so if I drop it in the water!

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You could always take it to a local welding shop and have it modified with a better foot pad probably wouldn't cost much!!!10 to 15 dollers

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cabana Dan said:
Dan
It is the square end posthole digger 1.375 inches wide... I'm sure you can find them in the larger cities.. I live in a very small town that is not stocked very well, even at the big stores like Home Depot...

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good idea on welding on footpad extensions...
Mine floats handle up without any foam on it.. I really like that I can let it go and it is easy to grab again... For $99 shipped, you just cant go wrong with this scoop...

GuerillaBill

Feb 12, 2008
Venice, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab Excalibur II, Whites BeachHunter 300
I've been using the Reillys Treasure Gold RTG PRO 5" Stainless Travel Scoop for 3 years now.

The scoop is 47" long, and has a 9 X 5 bucket, and is made of stainless steel.

Even after daily use in the sand and water, the scoop and handle are still in excellent condition and shows no corrosion.

The RTG Pro costs about $150, so it is a little pricey.

The video below shows me using it on the beach

Bill

Buck Rabbit

May 6, 2010
Bell, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher Pulse 8x, Bounty Hunter SharpshooterII
Just ordered one today seems like a great price. I'll try it out and let you know when it gets here.

sandnsea49

Jan 16, 2005
Temperance, MI summer-Sarasota, FL winter
Detector(s) used
Etrac, XP Deus, Excalibur 1000, Whites Dual Field PI, Makro Multi Kruzer
I bought the one with the square holes and love it. However I could not find a

square handle so I ended up using a round one that fit tight and it works fine. I live in a large city and still could not find one.

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sandnsea49 said:
square handle so I ended up using a round one that fit tight and it works fine. I live in a large city and still could not find one.
Did you bolt it thru, or screw it? I thought of doing that, but was afraid it would rock back and forth eventually...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread