Scoop vs. Shovel

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i use a long handled round nose shovel for the beach and the wet sand.a short handled metal scoop for shallow water and hand fanning for underwater.but i have dug holes 5 feet deep before with just my hands and scoop when i forgot to bring the shovel.

T

tucker1931

I just made one with the army surplus shovel and long handle. I really find I can't use it. Where I hunt here in Canada is Lake Erie, it has an inch or so of sand and then solid clay, altho the surplus shovel is heavy (and full of holes) I just can't get the push I need to get the damn clay. I'm gonna buy one from these people, it'll get er done for sure
Nuttall Enterprises, LLC

TonyinCT

Mar 14, 2006
Granby, CT
The sand scoop is the way to go in my opinion. You can scoop sand and trap most any target in it . a shovel /trowel will allow the sand to sift back into the hole if dry and water will enter when wet and tend to backfill it. Once you shovel the sand into say a pile you still have to find the target again. usually with a scoop , one to three scoops lands you the target.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tony is right! If you just use a shovel you must deposit the sand next to the hole and still have to paw through it to find the target. With the use of a screen sifter you can recover faster and move on down the beach sweeping for the next target instead of wondering where the heck it went. Sifters are different than scoops. Sifters are more for dry sand and have a wire screen.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread