Scooping in the Surf

rdi

Sep 5, 2007
Zephyrhills, Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Infinium LS, Sovereign GT, Fisher cz6a, Garrett sea hunter,Garrett vlf/tr groundhog
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the last month or so other MDer's I have talked to at the beach, have asked me how I mark and dig my targets in rough surf? I thought I would post this in hopes it would help new surf/water hunters...and start an exchange of techniques and tips that other surf/water hunters use...I certainly don't claim to be an EXPERT but this is my method...( I swing with my right arm)...after pin pointing the target I put my right foot to the back of the coil...move the coil..and with my left hand put the scoop to the toe of right foot...pushing the scoop down with right foot...lift and move scoop to my left side with left arm...putting right foot in hole (a foot in hole very useful in extreme conditions, along with a weight belt) ...recheck hole with right foot still in the hole (be sure your footwear is
metal free) I wear dive boots...if target is still there, re-pinpoint and follow the above procedure...after the 2nd miss, and it does happen, I go after the target from a different angle...
Last but not least ...COVER YOUR HOLES...this is more important than covering your holes on land...You can not see the holes under water and we don't want someone hurting themselves...Many people would love to ban metal detecting from the beach area's...So cover your holes on the beach and in the water, please...
I know there are many ways to accomplish the same task...can't wait to hear from other's so I can improve my technique...Rdi

Upvote 0

DaChief

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
-------(Water)------- Garrett Infinium (Relic and Coin) Minelab Sov. Elite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are right on the mark with the recovery method. I do exactly the same but I have found it to be faster if, after the first attempt, I brace myself with my scoop in my left hand and my detector in my right using them kind of like crutches and then I fan the hole with my right foot blowing the sand and the target out. After about five or six kicks, I usually find the target has blown out of the hole to the front. I can often see it laying on top of the sand. I then can just recover it by sight. CAUTION ON THIS ONE! I use shoes when in the surf because I have fanned out open pocket knives, very sharp broken pieces of aluminum, etc. Don't dig with your foot! Fan with your foot.

Where I dig in the surf, the bottom is so loose that the hole is filled in by the surf before you can recover your target. I have hunted a couple of more calm areas where this is not the case and I do cover the holes there. I also make sure I cover the holes on the beach.

Good post for those who are just starting out. I would like to see more comments from the experienced folks on their methods. I believe if you try the fanning method, you will like it. One other plus for it is that you get some really good exercise.

DaChief !!!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I find a target in the surf, after locating center of target, I place the toe of my left foot at the back of my coil, move the coil and dig. I can usually recover target in 2 or 3 scoops, although there has been a few times when I thought I was digging to China it was so deep.

The fanning with the foot will usually not work on the East coast, the surf and swells will just not allow it most times.....

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess everyone has there own method and I am no different. When I get a target I pull the DD coil back and slide it forward till it sounds off again. I then place my left foot to the rear and left of the coil. I can them move the coil away an place the scoop at the side of my left foot and push down to get under the target. I rarely have to waste time doing it again unless the thing is really deep.

I will slide the sand or muck back in the hole. In shallow water at lakes it is extremely important to have the bottom look like it was before you dug it up so nobody complains.

borninok

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2007
Kerrville, TX
Detector(s) used
White's DFX: Minelab Excalibur 1000
Alright Guys...you must be mind readers! In that I am still learning my Excal 1000, I have been experiencing problems of knowing exactly where to scoop. I hear the signal, but then when I start to scoop, I am always off the mark. Thanks to this thread, I know know what to do.
Appreciate the help more than you will ever know.
Mel

borninok

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SM, your doing, or I should say I'M doing the same as you are basically. In the surf I don't move coil back but maybe a half a step or so, not enough to say step back and slide forward. It depends on the surf conditions.

Here on the east coast of Central Florida there are times where off shore sandbars will stop the surf going into and during the low tides and the area between the sandbar and the shore will get sorta calm, that is when the digging is easy and you can work a target.

When the above doesn't happen you have to be careful, many times the swells and or surf here will move you off target rather quickly and you will lose the target, or have to fight hard to get back to find it. I have lost more targets then I like due to this.

The perfect hunting day.......

Warm, sunny day, negative tide, off shore winds, low swells, no surf, lots of bikinis. ;D

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use the foot at the back of the coil method too. Putting your foot in the hole is a great idea. Galveston water has zero visibility, so I'm not sure the fanning method would help, or cause you to lose the target...I suspect the latter. If you can see the bottom, then it sounds like a good idea. I think another tip would be to time your pinpointing and scooping to occur between the waves (I know, common sense). Good thread.

HH!
TBGO

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm right handed, but in the surf I swing with my left. Timing for me is everything. I pinpoint, take the wave, pinpoint again then jam the scoop in. I let the next wave hit and pass while the scoop holds me in place. When the next wave breaks I go for the target. Rinse and repeat as necessary.

My sand shark has a white coil which really helps in seeing where to dig.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GuyInBack said:
Timing for me is everything. I pinpoint, take the wave, pinpoint again then jam the scoop in. I let the next wave hit and pass while the scoop holds me in place. When the next wave breaks I go for the target. Rinse and repeat as necessary.

Basically same as me GIB. It is really a ride at times isn't it. I was hunting a trough one time chest deep that had a nice signal on the ocean side of it and was trying to recover it. Wave hit me and I went off on the ocean side of the trough which was over my head. I'm underwater trying to walk back up the wall of sand with it giving way, carrying my 6 lb scoop in one hand and the 5 lb Excall in the other, thinking the whole time........

"Drowning is not an option"..... ;)

DaChief

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
-------(Water)------- Garrett Infinium (Relic and Coin) Minelab Sov. Elite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After reading all of the posts from the Eastern Shore Guys, I am really glad I hunt on the West side. Don't mean to sound like a sissy or anything. I believe I could handle the surf if I had to but the option of going west from here seems to be a good one. Hunting the Tampa area is much like hunting in a lake most days that I have been there. I am sure during storms that it can get rough but on the average day there, I don't even notice the surf that much.

The East Coast seems to have it all. Aggressive Sharks and big waves. What more could a Treasure Hunter ask for when looking for adventure? I believe I will keep my old butt over on the West Side but I may come over one weekend just to get the experience. I do this for relaxation you know! I get enough excitement at work!

Good Luck To Everyone This Year!!!!!!!!! My goal is to find the wife a nice diamond! Haven't hit one yet but of course I have only been in the water a hand full of times.

Jim
DaChief!!!!!!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey DaChief. I don't blame you. I hunted St Pete beach one time, it was nice, no surf to speak of, I don't call 6 inch waves "Surf" ;) plus I could see the bottom.......I didn't really find that much, but I enjoyed it and will return once the reseeding starts.

Good luck and good hunting....

kaptainkosmic

Jul 7, 2004
S.W. Michigan
Detector(s) used
CZ-20 When its Wet, Garret 1350 When its Not.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I use basically the same system except I place my right foot on right side of coil when target is pinpointed.
then place scoop even with right heel, this keeps me from hitting my toes all of the time. (ooch that hurts!)
When its really ruff, and I'm having trouble staying on a target I sometimes stick my scoop in the sand closeby for referance and/or a kind of anchor to hang onto.

I would warn anyone who uses a weight belt!
Make sure its the last thing on, and can easily fall away. It must have a quick release buckle and you should be able to get it off 100% of the time on first attempt. The time to practice isn't when you're blowing bubbles standing on the bottom in water 6" deeper than you are tall. You will be amazed at just how fast you run out of air!

Be safe and happy hunting.

Steve

OP
OP
rdi

rdi

Sep 5, 2007
Zephyrhills, Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Infinium LS, Sovereign GT, Fisher cz6a, Garrett sea hunter,Garrett vlf/tr groundhog
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kaptainkosmic.......Sandman also uses the side of his foot.....you do get your toe occasionally ...i have learned something from this thread and will be switching to the side of the foot method.....i also use the scoop as a anchor when needed....as for the weight belt i agree with you 1000% ....i use a rip cord style release like sky divers use on their parachutes and some scuba BC's use... Rdi

If this old dog can learn something...I hope others have picked up some tips too

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread