Scoops: Survey Question for Beach and Shallow Water Hunters...

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Upvote 0

stavr

Nov 9, 2008
Odessa
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000 & Explorer XS & GQAS v.2 Eric Foster &Eureka Gold & PI Dolphin (HM 9μS)
...Regarding the preferred size of holes in your beach scoop.

1/4” vs 1/2” vs 5/8” what's your opinion, why did you make that decision and has it worked out for you?

Just curious as to what most people prefer and use...

Thanks
Hi
I love the hole 1/2 "= 12,7mm and Stavr scoop EVROEXCAVATOR-2 v.22
but there are different soil conditions and other factors that would have to select other model scoop different strengths and different sizes of holes 6,4mm / 9,5mm / 10mm / 12.7mm

sand-scoop-evroexcavator-2-v22.jpg sand-scoop-evroexcavator-2-v22.jpg

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Only seen the miller scoop in action once and it gave the appearance of being a professional, heavy duty scoop. The handle seemed to be overly large and cumbersome.

However it may have been that the idiot using it was going at a furious pace in between blankets on a crowded beach generally annoying everyone. I wanted to ask him about the scoop but didn't want to be bothered with him as a person and just wanted him to leave.
Really the Miller was made for calm in the water hunting, ..I love mine and use it often but some places she has to sit it out in the corner..

First it is all metal..easily interferes with the detector being Big.. second the weight, I have two of them and both come in around 6 pounds.. not really a lot but carry that a mile to the beach then back..

In action.. and perfect for the calm waters..

Last edited:

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

ReidMan

Jul 16, 2008
Hampton, VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 main, Infinium water, TDI red dirt, 1266x if I feel like digging iron.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My 2cents is weight, If you get worn out carrying it might just get left in the truck. I have a beast of a scoop Bill D gave me, It takes a huge bite but man is it heavy. Most of the scoops I use I have added screen and magnets
to inside, nothing worse then a bobby pin or earring that falls through the scoop after spending 10 minutes trying to find it in chest deep water. Now if your lucky enough to have a detector with discrimination then you might not
have to worry so much about small items. Infinium I use aint one of those.

fongu

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My scoop has 5/8 holes, but I have 1/4 inch hardware cloth in it for freshwater use. Keeps the small targets from falling out and driving me crazy. This is in the lake, but when I go to local streams with thick mud, I have to take the hardware cloth out or it would never drain. Like they say, whatever the conditions are you adapt to them. I couldn't keep up with 3-4 scoops and modifying my scoop for different conditions works for me and saves money, also. Sometimes when the mud is real thick, I have to dump the scoop in my sifter and rub it thru the 1/4 inch mesh.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread