SCORE late 1800/1900 bottles ..I D HELP please

silversurfer1111

Jul 14, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
GARRET AT PRO ..Whites Classic SL. . modified 9 Function Metal Detector from Harbor Freight tools
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A friend and I when to look at a construction site to Metal detect .. I ended up finding all these bottles in the dirt ...lots of broken bottles to..think it was a old dump .. you know how old any of them are or what they were used for pleas let me know thank you . if you know a good way to clean the inside of them pleas let me know ...I have # the bottles in 1 on the pics so you can tell me whats what .you can click on the pics up to 3 times to make them bigger thank you for looking .:hello:
#.jpg IMAGE00108.jpg IMAGE00109.jpg IMAGE00110.jpg IMAGE00112.jpg IMAGE00113.jpg IMAGE00115.jpg IMAGE00117.jpg IMAGE00119.jpg IMAGE00120.jpg IMAGE00122.jpg IMAGE00123.jpg IMAGE00124.jpg IMAGE00125.jpg IMAGE00126.jpg IMAGE00127.jpg

Upvote 1

bottles10

May 2, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garriet
About 1900 to 1920s. Nothing worth much. .50 cents to 1.00 but you are in good area. If you can keep looking The round bottle with DR on bottom was a vinegar bitter. paper label. very common.

OP
OP
silversurfer1111

silversurfer1111

Jul 14, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
GARRET AT PRO ..Whites Classic SL. . modified 9 Function Metal Detector from Harbor Freight tools
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
About 1900 to 1920s. Nothing worth much. .50 cents to 1.00 but you are in good area. If you can keep looking The round bottle with DR on bottom was a vinegar bitter. paper label. very common.

thanks for the info ! ... a friend told me that # 4 is from thee late 1800 cus that company Changed the label later ..and he said the mold seams start to disappear on the low part of the neck so that make it 1 of the older ones . but I don't know . I dont think he is a expert .

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
attachment.php

Hello silversurfer,

Gotta love those construction site smorgasbords of old glass. I roughly agree with bottles10 on the dating. Let's call them TOC.

I'm gonna try and play 9 pins with you. #1 is likely a medicine bottle. #2 was the infamous Peruna, put up by Dr. Samuel B. Hartman.

junequ2.jpg junequ3.jpg

"Sounds like you have found a turn of the century dump. The Bottle marked Dr. S.B.H. is a Peruna bottle. Peruna was a top seller around 1900 and was a true cure-all. One testimonial says, "I am happy to say that my little boy, five years old, is cured of deafness by your Peruna." The medicine was for catarrh, cough, weakness, consumption, grippe, dyspepsia, stomach and bowel trouble and a host of other ailments. Dr. Samuel Hartman first started in the patent medicine business in the late 1870s with his LA-CU-PI-A. Around 1879 he began making the Peruna as well as another medicine MAN-A-LIN. He moved to Columbus, Ohio from Pennsylvania. Where he successfully sold a bitters he had purchased from Benjamin Mishler, Mishler's Herb Bitters. By 1905, Peruna, which Hartman preferred to spell, PE-RU-NA, was perhaps the top selling brand in the country. One reason was a voluminous advertising campaign and another was it was 28% alcohol. A bottle of Peruna was made from about a half pint of cologne spirits, 190 proof, with a pint and a half of water, adding a little cubebs for flavor and a little burnt sugar for color. The cost to Dr. Hartman was about 15 to 18 cents for a bottle which sold for $1.00." John "Digger" Odell

#3 looks like a sample salad dressing, perhaps by Horton-Cato. $(KGrHqRHJEEFJ!2+QdNTBSVGB(Ie)Q~~60_58.JPG Royal Salad Dressing,Horton-Cato Manufacturing Company,condiments,1900

#4 is the Dr. S Pitcher's Castoria. They were being made into the late 1890's, and beyond. Fletcher's Castoria / Pitcher's Castoria

#5 probably contained pills, perhaps an oil.

#6 was some kind of household chemical or medicine.

#7 is an ink.

#8 is an ammonia bottle. il_570xN.373328213_2vf4.jpg

#9, I'd call a cream pot. Perhaps others may have additional suggestions.

Rip9pins.jpg

OP
OP
silversurfer1111

silversurfer1111

Jul 14, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
attachment.php

Hello silversurfer,

Gotta love those construction site smorgasbords of old glass. I roughly agree with bottles10 on the dating. Let's call them TOC.

I'm gonna try and play 9 pins with you. #1 is likely a medicine bottle. #2 was the infamous Peruna, put up by Dr. Samuel B. Hartman.

"Sounds like you have found a turn of the century dump. The Bottle marked Dr. S.B.H. is a Peruna bottle. Peruna was a top seller around 1900 and was a true cure-all. One testimonial says, "I am happy to say that my little boy, five years old, is cured of deafness by your Peruna." The medicine was for catarrh, cough, weakness, consumption, grippe, dyspepsia, stomach and bowel trouble and a host of other ailments. Dr. Samuel Hartman first started in the patent medicine business in the late 1870s with his LA-CU-PI-A. Around 1879 he began making the Peruna as well as another medicine MAN-A-LIN. He moved to Columbus, Ohio from Pennsylvania. Where he successfully sold a bitters he had purchased from Benjamin Mishler, Mishler's Herb Bitters. By 1905, Peruna, which Hartman preferred to spell, PE-RU-NA, was perhaps the top selling brand in the country. One reason was a voluminous advertising campaign and another was it was 28% alcohol. A bottle of Peruna was made from about a half pint of cologne spirits, 190 proof, with a pint and a half of water, adding a little cubebs for flavor and a little burnt sugar for color. The cost to Dr. Hartman was about 15 to 18 cents for a bottle which sold for $1.00." John "Digger" Odell

#3 looks like a sample salad dressing, perhaps by Horton-Cato. View attachment 889152 Royal Salad Dressing,Horton-Cato Manufacturing Company,condiments,1900

#4 is the Dr. S Pitcher's Castoria. They were being made into the late 1890's, and beyond. Fletcher's Castoria / Pitcher's Castoria

#5 probably contained pills, perhaps an oil.

#6 was some kind of household chemical or medicine.

#7 is an ink.

#8 is an ammonia bottle. View attachment 889160

#9, I'd call a cream pot. Perhaps others may have additional suggestions.

WOW you are awesome ! :notworthy:... thank you very much grate info. I am just getting in to glass .. so this helps me out BIG TIME ! ... I did not think I would get this much good info at one time... :icon_thumleft::hello2::hello::occasion14:

Sep 21, 2013
Excelsior, mn
Detector(s) used
2 fisher 1280x
garrett ace 250
finally bought me a garrett at pro...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i agree with surf...i can get about 7.00 for the ink wells that say carters on them..a little less if no name...if you find a bottle with a hand applied lip or top, that will bring a little more in my area...excelsior, mn. because people that live around the lake minnetonka area love history on the lake...see pic attached of one gallon bottle in a 3 part mold...

Gary 20131028_000307.jpg 20131028_000320.jpg

PeteWmass

Nov 26, 2012
South Hadley
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
how about snapping some pics of the dump...I always like analyzing a dump.....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread