Score of a lifetime...

meraxes

Jun 25, 2017
Sacramento
Primary Interest:
Other
I guess this one deserves a little bit of background.

On Monday I stopped by one of my usual hunting sights, a bank that had been right in my daily commute up until just recently, and still isnā€™t far out of my way. When I get to the front of the line, and ask the lovely teller if she happens to have any half dollars or large dollars that day, she tells me ā€œno, but we have coin shipments on Tuesdays and Thursdays,ā€ and if Iā€™m interested in coming back I can but some that they have on order. Apparently a lot of people have been asking for halves, so they are ordering them now? That seems kind of incredible to me, but I take her word for it and ask if she can set $100 worth aside for me on Thursday. Funds are low at the moment, so I donā€™t want to go overboard with the blank check she seems eager to write me...

On my way home today (Thursday,) I didnt even remember this had taken place until I had almost gone too far. Once I do remember, I make the necessary detour, and walk into the bank with a little over $300 in my pocket, which was sadly the majority of my liquid cash right then. Once I got to the front of the line, I was helped by a teller stationed next to the woman I spoke to on Monday, and I explain to her what I had been told. After a moments discussion, the bank manager comes out of the vault carrying a cardboard box, which seemed a little odd, and begins to rummage around in it at a counter I canā€™t quite see clearly from where Iā€™m standing, while my teller waits attentively next to him. Finally she brings over a hand full of half dollar rolls, but not just any rolls. These rolls were much longer than what Iā€™m used to, holding $20 each, and as sheā€™s placing them on the counter and Iā€™m mentioning the unusual size of them, I see, plain as day. ā€œ1968 NEWā€ written one of them.

Now Iā€™m pretty sure Iā€™ve had this dream before, but I always wake up before I get to start busting them open!

The manager walks up behind the teller then, with a big grin on his face, and tells me thet the rolls are pretty old, so I might find something good. I somehow manage to stammer, ā€œdo you have any more to sell?ā€ He hems and haws a moment and asks how much I want, and of course I tell him Iā€™ll take all heā€™s got, ignoring the finite amount of cash I have on hand. He tells me he was planning on buying a little for himself, $50 or so, but he can sell me $300 more ($400 total.) I peek back in my wallet and admit I can only buy $200 more. Lets see how accurate that label on the roll is before we start thinking about cash advances on the credit card...

Once back to my car, I drive to a parking lot across the street thatā€™s a tad more secluded, and open that first roll I spied.

EA63683F-C31A-43AF-BB68-4AD4A0B83AFF.jpeg

!!!!!! Yeah, that really is a $20 roll of uncirculated 1968 halves. Needless to say, I figured out a way to scrounge another $100 and went back to buy the rest, fortunately before anyone else got to them! Now, this has already gotten way longer than I intended, so Iā€™ll cut to the results:

Total of 30 90%ers
14 x 1964
13 x 1964D
1 x 1963D Franklin
1 x 1962 Franklin
1 x 1944 Walking Liberty!

Total of 522 40%ers!!!
13 x 1965
26 x 1966
79 x 1967
337 x 1968D about 200 of which are uncirculated!
67 x 1969D

Plus over 200 mostly uncirculated 1971s. I guess the original owner of this collection stocked up the year after the half dollars switched to the copper-nickle clad? These coins were likely sitting in those rolls for about 45 years; it blows my mind to think about it.

Oh yeah, and pics or it didnā€™t happen:

26D7D5F5-3AC8-4D0F-B61D-535BA79D7D27.jpeg

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread