Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got out this morning with "kimsdad" and Mike for a couple of hours
before the rain caught us in the woods. . . it was a VERY productive hunt
for ONE member in particular ::) (you'll have to wait for his post). . . I'll
just say I now know what it's like to hunt with a legend :thumbsup:

In all the excitement that was going on I did find an old Scout slide ::)

DSC_6233.JPG

If anyone has any ideas as to it's age or type, I'd love to hear. . . Thanks!
watercolor

Upvote 0

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
That is one cool slider you have!!!! Congrats!

Here's something else I found: http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cach...rm+of+liberty+slider&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=6&gl=us (I had to cache the link...as the page did not come up)

The crusade to "Strengthen the Arm of Liberty" was inaugurated in February. A dramatic ceremony was held at the base of the Statue of Liberty.

1951: The 3-year crusade to "Strengthen the Arm of Liberty" concluded with a 33 percent gain in membership. A program of cooperation in civil defense was carried out. Conservation activities were expanded in cooperation with federal, state, and local agencies. Two million pounds of clothing were collected for domestic and foreign relief.

Found one with a photo: http://inkspotantiques.com/shop/ind...id=155&zenid=0d1164d88c4d3d53ef831dbf5f700248

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
Wow WC after looking at your finds and posts I am embarrassed to post my junk!!!

Great find. I know a guy here in Cape Girardeau that is an authority on all things Boy Scout. If you want me to I can get him to look at it and verify, but I think Ron and Ann did a good job!! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
watercolor

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ron and Ann said:
No picture on this link: http://mitchreis.com/SaleSlides.HTM

But states: Y70 $ 25.00 brass color neckerchief slide - STRENGTHEN THE ARM OF LIBERTY - 1950's

Maybe you could get an email off to the person who posted this and they can tell you if it's the same thing!

Here's something else I found: http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cach...rm+of+liberty+slider&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=6&gl=us (I had to cache the link...as the page did not come up)

The crusade to "Strengthen the Arm of Liberty" was inaugurated in February. A dramatic ceremony was held at the base of the Statue of Liberty.

1951: The 3-year crusade to "Strengthen the Arm of Liberty" concluded with a 33 percent gain in membership. A program of cooperation in civil defense was carried out. Conservation activities were expanded in cooperation with federal, state, and local agencies. Two million pounds of clothing were collected for domestic and foreign relief.

WOW!. . . That is really interesting!. . . Thanks so much for the info!

Take care & thanks again!

mastereagle22 said:
Wow WC after looking at your finds and posts I am embarrassed to post my junk!!!

Great find. I know a guy here in Cape Girardeau that is an authority on all things Boy Scout. If you want me to I can get him to look at it and verify, but I think Ron and Ann did a good job!! :thumbsup:

Thanks Larry, that would be great!

Nick Pappagiorgio said:
Watercolor ...

One Word my man ~ One Word ... STELLAR ...

Rock On & Persevere my friend ...

~ Nick ~

Thanks Nick. . . that was the only thing I found before the storms hit.

Detectingfreak

Gold Member
Apr 26, 2006
Bellevue, WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro TigerShark
Dude I would be so happy if I found that boy scout slide! I used to be in the boy scouts. Made it all the way to eagle. But boy that would have made my day. Congratulations on finding the slide! :)

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Watercolor....That is an Awesome looking slide,never seen one like that before until today.Very Nice Dig... :thumbsup:

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found that same slide, I looked it up.

I did some research on my Neckerchief that I found, its from 1949!!!! I found it in a swampy section of the camp site. Probably been in the mud ever sense!!!! I found the below info online a while back, but I guess this is the major events for the year 1949. I guess that the Statue Of Liberty had a bulge in her arm, engineers looked at it and determined that the arm weighed too much weight, so the Boy Scouts held fund raisers to add more structural supports. They also sold small 8 1/2 foot tall repelicas of the Statue Of Liberty all over the US to help pay for the renavations.
Here is a link to the smaller statues:

http://troop101.thescouts.com/liberty/

There are over 200 of these replicas Statues in 39 states in the U.S. and several of its possessions and territories.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Membership during the year is 2,579,515.

William C. Wessel, director of Cub Scouting, died. Gerald A. Speedy was named the director, and in November Marlin Sieg was named as assistant director. The age levels for Cub Scouting were changed to 8, 9, and 10 with boys entering Boy Scouting at 11 years of age. A re-study of the achievement program was ordered. At the end of its 20th year, Cub Scouting pierced the million mark for the first time with 1,142,079 boys registered and 317,057 pack leaders, a 25 percent gain in enrollment.

Age levels were lowered: Boy Scouting, 11 through 14; Exploring, 14 and up.

The manual on citizenship was published. New procedures for physically disabled boys were adopted. Troop advancement procedures were emphasized.

Five hundred forty-three councils owned 831 campsites with 288,545 acres, at an estimated value of $10,525,731 in land and $17,436,306 in equipment.

The National Council held its 39th annual meeting in Boston.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2375256306_4f0f274776.jpg

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star
Hey Mark,
That really cleaned up nicely! First time I ever saw that kind of slide. What a great find! Congrats, Mark my man!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

You always seem to find the really cool stuff! :wink:

Hey, as part of that campaign, a bunch of mini Statues of Liberty were put up all around the country (thank goodness for Google...) They called them the "Little Sisters of Lady Liberty" Here's a link to a great article on them:

http://www.americanprofile.com/article/3455.html

Just in case you ever want to see one in person. You know you want to now!

Neil

Hey Fiend,
I think we posted at the same time. Lots of great info in your post! The pics might save Watercolor a road trip.
;D

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Ron and Ann said:

Found one with a photo: http://inkspotantiques.com/shop/ind...id=155&zenid=0d1164d88c4d3d53ef831dbf5f700248

I posted a link to a CUB SCOUT SLIDER....close enough!! :wink:

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool slide, nice shape too!!

Steve

OP
OP
watercolor

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone for all your comments and the wonderful information you've taken the time to post. . . :)

Thanks again!
watercolor

cival war hunter 2 !

Dec 29, 2007
Nice one, i think it's from the 40s it a guess but i could be right. ow my god this music is awesome!!! heavy metal that's what i play sometimes one my drums." Wednesday 13" awesome i think this is "Metallic"

tsgman

Bronze Member
Sep 13, 2005
Springfield, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Fisher Gold Bug, MXT, Etrac, CTX 3030, GPX 5000, Troy Shadow, CZ20, Excal II, Tesoro Stingray, AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread