May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Near the Roman Site we have been doing is a 300+ acre field, it was too wet to seed this year & has been left for a later crop. We have tried little missions into this huge field & never found a hotspot. Today we decided to try closer to the Villiage instead of the high ground. Spent just over 1 hour with only buttons, & Dad was first to cry 'lets move'. For once I agreed, the signs were poor. (very little Lead, no Pottery, no soil discolouration) However we will return & continue bite sized chucks out of the field in the hope for a better result or crossing it of the list. (Picture 1 is this field finds)

Returned to the Roman Site, we have done the main area, so started on the edge of the site we hadn't already done. We always have a guess of how my scrappies at the start of the hunt, Dad said 5, I said 7 ;D

Only did 1 hour 15 minutes:
7 Scrappies - although 1 had a mint we don't reconise & will research it.

We headed back to the car with the detectors on as usual & I got the best find only 20 metres from the entrance. It was pretty deep & I was extremely tired after carrying around the most mud on my boots I've ever had! So after a couple of digs, I asked Dad to finish the job with a bigger spade. As it was quite deep & he too was tired, he nearly gave up on it. I too thought it likely to be a piece of coke can near the entrance. Instead it was a:
Circa 9-10th Century Saxon Brooch (Pin) - complete other than pin :o So rare & much larger than any I have seen before, I'm not sure I will see another, either on the web or in my book collection!
We have walked over that spot many times on our way back to the car!
Turned a OK (ish) day into a SUPER one ;D

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    102.9 KB · Views: 659
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    98.7 KB · Views: 657
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    110.6 KB · Views: 669
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    81.2 KB · Views: 665
Upvote 0
OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pepperj said:
On the bottom there is a mark on the face-what is it of?

just a ding

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Mud and fatigue ... it reminds me that? ::) ... Is the worst that can happen to a hunter :laughing7:
greetings!!

woody50

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2007
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A real nice find Cru, so you can see, a site that produces little surprizes the searcher sometimes.

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOODY50 said:
A real nice find Cru, so you can see, a site that produces little surprizes the searcher sometimes.

It produces a good amount, had over 250 Roman Coins, 7 Roman Silver, Nice Roman Mars Bust Handle & other roman stuff. Just not much Medieval, although we have had a Saxon Strapend, Saxon Clothes Fastener, 2 Saxon Sceats (bear in mind, I've only got 3 ever) & this find.

Its just pickings are short as we have done it twice over without a plough.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread