Scraper or Scrap?

OntarioArch

Nov 26, 2017
Cayuga County NY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The unbroken portion of the curved edge of this piece is quite sharp; I could not decide if it was an artifact or just a large flake of flint...then I studied the flattened edge opposite the curved, sharp edge. I think I see this surface has been smoothed, rounded, worn down with a beautiful patina (I think...) ...like might be created by a hand working with this tool for years/generations.

Do you agree? If so, this is a truly a humbling artifact. Can you imagine how much work a muscled, calloused hand must have done with this very piece of stone....some thousands and thousands of years ago?? Fantastic.

ovoid scraper1.jpg
ovoid scraper 2.jpg
Ovoid Scraper 3.jpg

Attachments

• Ovoid Scraper 3.jpg
    Ovoid Scraper 3.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 72
Upvote 0

crj1968

Feb 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Scraper/ knife. Purposely thinned out....Very cool...

Wherever it is you are finding this stuff, keep looking!

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
I would also agree with knife, broken one at that, appears the base is missing. Unfortunately, typology is impossible without the base. It's doubtful that the knife would have been used for years/generations. Native Americans for the most thrived in lithic rich environments and had access to plenty of material for tool renewal. A fresh tool would be used then resharpened, after a few cycles it would be tossed in favor of a new tool.

Still, this is a very good find and as previously mentioned, scour the area where you found it, you may even find the missing base.

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Scraper I would say, although it does look broken. So maybe it was a knife or something. The angle of the 2nd photo clearly shows an artifact that was worked, especially around the edges. Flake debris has no signs of being worked, and if it does it is not flake debris but an actual tool. However, looks can be deceiving. Just dropping a flake on the ground or cattle trampling over it and unintentionally chipping a piece off the edge can make the piece look like it was intentionally worked, but it is not what it seems.

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probably prehistoric, although Native Americans made stone tools throughout the historic period all the way up to the present day.

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
100% an artifact but I don’t think it’s a scrapper or scrap. Looks like a preform, blank, or other unfinished piece. I’m on my phone so I can’t see it real well but the flaking and form sort of suggests to me that it might be really old, like early to middle paleo. Might be off on that but it looks like Clovis manufacturing from afar. Cool find.

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd say a preform as well, one that looks broken. Hard to tell if something was done along the hinge where it broke though.

crj1968

Feb 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ah yes, I always forget about preforms ! Good call

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Find! Looks like an older piece.

Most likely utilized as a knife. I have found quite a few similar examples, and I sincerely believe the flat surface opposite the cutting edge is there for the purpose of griping piece without harming the hand or finger while in use.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could be any of the mentioned pieces. If its snapped as to what Im seeing it could also be the half of a flaked ax but thats just a guess seeing its broken we will never know. I have quite a few snapped in half and its always a clean snap like it was designed that way.

pickaway

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
Detector(s) used
ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Base to a small knife or preform with the tip missing.

OP
OP
OntarioArch

OntarioArch

Nov 26, 2017
Cayuga County NY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Is there any weather/natural-aging explanation for what appears to be 'wear' on the flattened edge of this specimen? Is it legitimate to say that this type of smooth. rounded edge was caused by human hands? I have another large flake of chert that show similar smoothing.

Ovoid Scraper 4.jpg

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its a snapped tool or preform might be just a half of something. Could of been used as is as a scraper. Flint breaks in many ways

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread