Scuba Certification

OutBack Duo

Apr 21, 2005
Olathe, KS
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I am finally going to do it. I have been talking about getting my scuba certification for about 10 years now and finally have signed up and paid the fee. Can anyone give me some pointers on underwater detecting? I don't plan on diving any ship wrecks but you never know. I am from Kansas City area so will mostly be diving under diving platforms at local ponds, lakes and swimming holes. I do get to the houston area a couple times a year, maybe I will do some diving out there also. Needless to say I am very excited about the possibilities and would love to hear from anyone that detects while scuba diving.

Thanks!

Don

Upvote 0

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sweet idea don maybe this will light the fire under my arse to do the same ;)

OP
OP
OutBack Duo

OutBack Duo

Apr 21, 2005
Olathe, KS
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the main reason for doing this now is my club has been invited back to an old beach area that was used in the 30's and 40's that is on private property now. Last year we were out there and found lots of silver coins. A few of us detected in the water but the area underneath the diving platform has never been detected so I am hoping to be the first and find lots of old coins and jewelry.

spez401

Jul 13, 2006
Coventry, RI
Detector(s) used
Excal
how to detect underwater? pretty much just like on land. You can set out search lines, jackstay search, running jackstay, etc. you can just go random (depending on the bottom).

When I've done beaches and under platforms, I have often run a "circle search". If you grab a "wreck reel" or a piece of line, secure it to a stake underwater. I used a screw in type "dog stake" that you'd use to tie up your dog outside. Its about a foot long and easy to go into the bottom. Clip the line to the top, and start swimming. the line will keep you in a circle, with the stake at the center. When you finish one circuit, pay out 2-3 feet of line and start swimming again... repeat as necessary. when you get to the end of the line, move the stake and start again.

The biggest issues you'll have are visibility and bottom time. If there is a slight current, the visibility issue is a little less. Watch your gauges and keep an eye on your air. It is VERY easy to get fixated and forget to keep track of your air.

good luck
steve

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spez401 had some good advice. I have done scuba and used hookah and perfer the hookah because of the longer down time. Still even with Hookak I carried a 13 cu. Pony tank and a Spare Air just in case. I had a Honda engine which you could hear if it was running.

I used defferent detectors with my favorite being the Excal 1000. One tip is to tether a Garrett gold classifier pan to your waist. (It floats) This is what I would push into the mud and it being plastic, I could wave a coil over it to see if I had the target. I took down a lobster bag for the goodies, but put the rings in a coin purse which I kept inside the wet suit. Don't forget a good dive knife.

Gosh, there are many things you will need to learn.

Sandman

frozenfishy

Nov 28, 2006
The best advice I can give you is be aware of your equipment. I dive in the north east so I use a heavy suit I take a pony bottle with me, dive knife, catch bag, compass, spare regulator, dive computer you know the works and alot of weight because I am so darn bouant. You know how awkward all this stuff can be then add a metal detector, it took me awhile before I managed to be comfortable doing both. I gotta tell you I really like using a hookah rig when detecting just because all that bulk is gone and it is much easier to concentrate on detecting. When I do go diving I use two search patterns depending on the visibility if poor I do circles if good a structured grid pattern.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just remembered a warning I have to tell you about. When I started diving I used a wet suit that was to small for me (tight). Afer the dive when I was ashore getting out of the wet suit, I held my nose and blew to clear my ears. I passed out from lack of oxygen and dropped on the sand. One of the gal dive buddies I was with said I was out for less than a minute. Scary. I was told this can happen afterward even when your driving your car home.

Wear suits that fit correctly. Also, they tend to shrink with age......... ::) ::) ::)

OP
OP
OutBack Duo

OutBack Duo

Apr 21, 2005
Olathe, KS
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, thats some good advice. I am short and stocky (heavy) so its going to be hard for me to find a suit to fit. Any advice on where to buy a wet suit. How do you fit a face mask? Can you buy these off the shelf?

Thanks for all the great info!

Don

lowtones

Aug 19, 2006
USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur , Explorer 2 ,Soverign elite,
I have a question about the silt . If an area has alot of decomposed silt on the bottom what do you do?

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
I would suggest you get a custom suit made especially for you. It is pretty hatd to get s suit off the rack that will fit properly for most people. They are not that more expensive and if you are not comfortable in your suit you will be miserable. I like the Excal either the 1000 or 800 depending on bottom & search area

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Outback, for buying a wet suit, it is best to visit a dive shop and try on suits. You may have to special order one that fits you to a tee. I've seen dudes wearing suits that were to big and floppy that let in to much water which didn't keep them warm no matter how much they peed.

Dive masks have to be tryed on too. They should fit the face well and be comfortable when you suck air in through your nose so they stick to your face. If you wear glasses, you can get special faceplates for correcting your vision too.

HH,
Sandman

spez401

Jul 13, 2006
Coventry, RI
Detector(s) used
Excal
Whether you dive a standard scuba rig, or use a hookah, I would suggest a backup on air. Either a small pony bottle, or even one of the small "spare-air" units. Diving is first and foremost about safety, and you should build safety measures into your activity. Detecting is secondary.

I've dove hookah rigs before, and they are great for freedom of mobility. Not nearly as much weight or restriction as the typical scuba bc. But like sandman, I brought along my spare air.

I was diving here in new england a few years ago, and I had a hp line blow (o ring failed) at 40'. I calmly reached for my spare air... spit out my regs and calmly swam over to my buddy, tapped him on the shoulder, and grabbed his octopus. The key here CALMLY. we made the ascent staying as long as possible @ 15', and called it a day.

And here is the biggest piece of advice you can get - stay calm underwater. Do not panic.

steve

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread