Se going deep...silver...

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
Well its been a while since I posted anything...thought todays hunt would be a good time to drop a post. I have been finding a lot of stuff...especially wheaties. Today the usual $4-$5 in clad but a standing liberty quarter, either a 1920, or 1930...can only make out the zero at end and another wheatie. I have been hunting alot, but this year I am enjoying sitting back and reading others finds, good for motivation. Obviously the Se has taken over for me...but the dfx does mop up every once in a while...still like having both around..

Attachments

• May 15th 08 standing liberty 1920 or 1930..jpg
    May 15th 08 standing liberty 1920 or 1930..jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 1,022
  • May 15th 08 standing liberty 1920 or 1930 pic 2..jpg
    May 15th 08 standing liberty 1920 or 1930 pic 2..jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 1,020
Upvote 0

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
Captain Se had mentioned to me turning off the fast...finally did...but decided to try deep which i had tried before and it worked very well in this area...

Finally?? What took you so long... ;D :D You will miss the real deepies with FAST on. Keeping DEEP on is fine, but it won't get you any more depth, IMHO. Processing will slow down a little when DEEP is on, but target ID will be more accurate.

Congrats on your SLQ, Gregg. I'm willing to bet that wherever you found that SLQ, there's plenty of silver dimes, and wheats to be found.

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

OP
OP
DFX-SE Gregg

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
John Deere Digger said:
Great finds. Always helpful knowing what settings are working for everybody, thanks.
JDD

I had sens at 24 (manual)
gain 8
conduct (for sound)
threshold barely audible
deep on

Still trying to find the right combo... I had iron mask off in this area of the park...trash was not to bad...but move 20 feet to the right and iron mask was a must...

OP
OP
DFX-SE Gregg

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
LI Tom said:
Great find Greg!SLQ's are hard to find and are really beautiful coins.How many silver coins have you scored this year compared to last year?

I am ahead of last years pace...at 7 now, finished last year with only 12....but have not hit as many old parks as I had planned to this year... I am planning and researching to set up a couple more older parks... I am finding coins deeper no doubt and a lot of wheaties...

OP
OP
DFX-SE Gregg

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
Ricardo_NY1 said:
Congrats on the SLQ Gregg! That's the nice thing about the Explorer...........a quarter like that at 8" will come in nice and clear. Gregg............keep Deep turned on. I wouldn't bother with fast unless you want to intentionally clean up shallow surface stuff in a very, very trashy area. In which case I'd probably go with a smaller coil.

I have been using fast...started to get a little frustrated...but i had just put deep on and got the SLQ almost immediately...will be headed back...left after finding it. This morning I took the dfx out...did ok nothing old...and another sex token...the heads tails one...my third like that... Oh I usually have a rain cover on my dfx and after changing battery started hunting... Went between a concrete bench and a small wall and scratched the side of detector box... :-[ Oh well it still works fine ...just not as pretty,,,

OP
OP
DFX-SE Gregg

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
Captn_SE said:
Captain Se had mentioned to me turning off the fast...finally did...but decided to try deep which i had tried before and it worked very well in this area...

Finally?? What took you so long... ;D :D You will miss the real deepies with FAST on. Keeping DEEP on is fine, but it won't get you any more depth, IMHO. Processing will slow down a little when DEEP is on, but target ID will be more accurate.

Congrats on your SLQ, Gregg. I'm willing to bet that wherever you found that SLQ, there's plenty of silver dimes, and wheats to be found.

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

Thanks was my third trip to this park.... Once I found the wheatie... I worked my way over to the largest tree in the area... The SLQ and three other quarters were right near it... As you know digging deeper with the Se the SLQ came out on the bottom of a large chunk of soil...was nice to see... :icon_sunny: This area of park looked much older than the other side...with large big trees and does not appear layered with fresh dirt. The roots from several of the trees are showing thru soil.... But one area I used fast on due to trash everywhere... I hope you are right about the silver dimes and wheaties...the Se will be hitting this area again...

OP
OP
DFX-SE Gregg

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
Thanks everyone for the great responses! :)

Colonial KirkPA

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
Colonial, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Pro XL
Cool, Se, you are doing great! The DFX would have gotten that quarter at 8". I dug an 1854 Seated dime before at 6"...loud and clear signal. :wink:

Kirk

weasel606

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2007
West Virginia, USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70 ,Bounty Hunter Landstar, Garrett ACE 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WTG Gregg ! theres no doubt the DFX is a great machine but i sure do love my SE ! I havent learned all there is to know about it yet but learning is part of the fun ;D and the silver is great also :wink: keep playing with the settings on that SE Gregg and keep people like me that cant get out that much so far this year up to date on your settings and your finds ! congrats :thumbsup:

OP
OP
DFX-SE Gregg

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
Colonial KirkPA said:
Cool, Se, you are doing great! The DFX would have gotten that quarter at 8". I dug an 1854 Seated dime before at 6"...loud and clear signal. :wink:

Kirk

I am thinking about running some tests with trash around coins...to see if I can adjust dfx settings...maybe mineralization...but it just seems the Se has me digging deeper...

OP
OP
DFX-SE Gregg

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
weasel606 said:
WTG Gregg ! theres no doubt the DFX is a great machine but i sure do love my SE ! I havent learned all there is to know about it yet but learning is part of the fun ;D and the silver is great also :wink: keep playing with the settings on that SE Gregg and keep people like me that cant get out that much so far this year up to date on your settings and your finds ! congrats :thumbsup:

Thanks for your support... :) I can just about get out every day... but my arms get tired ...so I have to take a break every few days. Surprisingly my back has been fine...once I started using my homemade swingy thingy on the Se...thinks picked up... Been out all but 4 days this month...lots of clad but still behind last years pace due to a cold/slow January....

Colonial Zoyboy

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2006
PA
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
I found a Stander quarter two weeks ago; they are interesting specimens to find. :D

Keep sweeping with the fever, Gregg! :thumbsup:

Kyle

OP
OP
DFX-SE Gregg

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
Colonial Zoyboy said:
I found a Stander quarter two weeks ago; they are interesting specimens to find. :D

Keep sweeping with the fever, Gregg! :thumbsup:

Kyle

Thanks... :) I am grateful each time I can get out...I know the heat and hard ground arrives here soon.... Lots of hard clay or rock below 4 to 6 inch level in a lot of areas I hunt.... That will be the real test for the se...

vpone

Bronze Member
May 1, 2007
central pa
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, 11" & 15" coils
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
great find gregg, congrats !

i found my first this year, was a thrill to say the least

take care

kevin

OP
OP
DFX-SE Gregg

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
vpone said:
great find gregg, congrats !

i found my first this year, was a thrill to say the least

take care

kevin

Thanks Kevin....just would have been nice to see a date... But several people have said for sure it is a 1920...by the zero at the end... Apparenting in the 20's the date was recessed into the coin. So seeing it was either a 20 or 30 ... the 30 would have been recessed...

Timberwolf

Silver Member
Sep 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Eagle II SL90/Eagle Spectrum/TF-900
DFX Gregg,

Congratulations on the SLQ :thumbsup:
It has been some time since I have pulled one from the ground.

I hope you don't mind, I did a little enhancing to your photos for you :)

coin1.jpg

coin2.jpg

Keep up the good finds,

TW

OP
OP
DFX-SE Gregg

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
Timberwolf said:
DFX Gregg,

Congratulations on the SLQ :thumbsup:
It has been some time since I have pulled one from the ground.

I hope you don't mind, I did a little enhancing to your photos for you :)

Keep up the good finds,

TW

Not at all thanks...I usually take clearer pics...decided to go without flash...but you did a nice job... :)

Merf

Silver Member
Jan 7, 2007
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab vanquish, Quest x10 pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on that SLQ Greg :thumbsup:
Those are few and far between.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread