Sea Hunter Mark II

Dan B

Sep 16, 2007
Windsor Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero. Whites MX Sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With all this talk about the Infinium, not much is ever said about the Sea Hunter Mark II. If you read the specs, it seems that this is a PI machine with even more effective discrimination than the Infinium. What's the real deal on this machine? Does it automatically ground balance? Can you really discriminate out pull tabs, but still hear the gold like this review says:

http://www.losttreasure.com/fieldtests/ArchiveView.cfm?ID=LT20000614

I would be interested in hearing from anyone that uses/used this machine.

Thanks,

Dan

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
....I really don't know i have a Infinium from what i understand is the Infinium has iron check and multiple frequency and..............and Automatic Ground Tracking..but i always thought that all..PI detectors were ..Automatic ground tracking..Well mabe some one that knows more about PI detectors will give some clear answers......................................==Jim==

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
Dan, I had previously used the Garrett Mark II. I got a lot of coins with it too. I never used the disc mode, as it wasn't that good of a system for ring and coin hunting. You lost considerable depth using this machine as you added discrimination.

I did a lot of research into the Infinium. I ran off about 50 copies of tricks, tips, finds etc. I read the good and bad reports too. I finally came to the conclusion that this machine was entirely different from any machine presently available. It had to be ground balanced. An operating frequency had to be used compatible with the area it was being used in. It had discrimination capabilities...high-low/low high sounds for low and high conductors. As a PI it loved iron, but also had an iron check. I was convinced that the Infinium was a fantastic machine. There were bad reviews too. But I concluded that they were from inexperienced operators getting frustrated, from people using it in the wrong areas or people seeding the forums for political/monetary reasons. I sold my Mark II, and bought an Infinium. My first hunt got me 2 gold rings plus a gold plated ring. My buddy who also just purchased the Infinium got gold rings from his first hunt. These hunts were at the same beach, which had been hunted for years. Fast forward my Infinium hunts to the fall, and I had my best gold ring ever using this machine.

The 2 machines are like comparing apples and oranges. The Mark II has the same tone and loves iron. The Infinium has those high-low /low-high sounds, loves iron but has an iron check. The Mark II is a turn on and go machine. The Infinium has to be ground balanced and an operating frequency chosen to make it compatible in the area in which it is being used. Both machines are deep! The Infinium just has a few more tricks to make it a better machine.

Hope this helps.......

THEPLACE.jpg

OP
OP
D

Dan B

Sep 16, 2007
Windsor Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero. Whites MX Sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi John,

As usual, very helpful. ;D

Thanks,

Dan

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice post comparing the two PI's John.

However, what the heck is that white stuff on top of the water and shore, not snow an ice.

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
Sandman said:
Very nice post comparing the two PI's John.

However, what the heck is that white stuff on top of the water and shore, not snow an ice.

Yes it is... we only get about 6-7 months of summer detecting conditions up here. Sometimes, a spring storm will blow the ice on shore, which carves a nice cut. Pulled some nice silver out of those in the past. ;D

The-Bone

Nov 13, 2007
North East,Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Whites Silver Eagle, BHID,M6,CZ21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dude,
what kind of scoop is that in the picture!?!?

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
The-Bone said:
Dude,
what kind of scoop is that in the picture!?!?

I bought it on line about 10 years ago. It's stainless steel, and has that foam on around the handle so it stays standing upright when I leave it alone to make adjustments to my wet suit or detector. I paid $125.00 for it new + delivery charge. The dealer I bought it from has long retired.

Willy

It's a common misconception that PI's ignore ALL ground mineralization.. they don't. One of the reasons why PI's work so well for beach hunting is that the soil matrix is rather uniform and generally doesn't get as extreme and changeable as inland sites. There are some areas where your generic PI won't even work; that's why they have ground tracking/balancing. From what I gather, it becomes even more of a problem when really short pulse delays are being used. If you check out Minelab's top of the line PI nuggetshooter, it has ground tracking and other settings that allow it to deal with bad ground. The Infinium was designed to hunt the same places that a ML PI can and places it can't. ..Willy.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions