sealing coil cover

toe2short

May 28, 2013
NJ
Detector(s) used
Minelab safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know a lot of people seal their coil cover with caulking or some other sealant to keep sand and dirt out.First question, is this an advisable thing to do?Since the cover comes off easy enough to clean.Second question,if you chose to seal it. Has anyone ever used a product called Anchor Seal? It is used in treating raw wood and turns into a clear waxy finish. It has the consistency of a light paint. I purchased it to treat a Cheery burl that I am making a trumpet lamp out of. It seems to be water tight and is thin enough to fit in all the cracks and seems. I didn't want to use it before getting some feedback. Thank you all in advance, of your answers.
Jimmy

Upvote 0

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems unnecessary to me. All you need to do is take your coil cover off periodically and give it and your coil a quick rinse.

Twinkletoes

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2013
Detector(s) used
White’s TDI Beach Hunter PI / Minelab Excalibur 1000 / White's MX Sport / White’s XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have caulked and sealed in the past but eventually they leak and you have to remove the cover to clean it out. I have also lost covers. Now I use 8" Zip Ties! I don't loose covers and I can easily remove them to clean it out! H Digs!

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I would stick with the zip ties. the caulking just makes a huge mess...

OP
OP
T

toe2short

May 28, 2013
NJ
Detector(s) used
Minelab safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you all, that sounds good to me.

Jim

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm with the remove and clean crowd. Any sealant becomes a problem if the cover NEEDS to be removed which also applies to opening the coil if it needs repair. Many don't use a cover, but I prefer one, but to each his own.
luvsdux

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I put a cover on my new sand shark before I even took it out of the box...

Sent from my SCH-R930 using Tapatalk 2

a4wdguy

Mar 10, 2005
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
TDI, DFX, M6, XLT, XL Pro, CM 6000 Di Pro, Beach Hunter ID 300, Beach Hunter ID, Surfmaster P.I.(Plus)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
On my coils that have covers, I seal them with silicone sealant. Not caulk. I reserve that for around the tub. It may be just semantics, but I want to be sure we are talking about the same stuff here. Caulk dries out and cracks, while silicone sealant (not adhesive) remains flexible. I like to color match my coils to the silicone sealant I'm using, black coils get black silicone, white coils get white, or clear.
I've never had a leak, never lost a cover, and any cover that I have removed (many years later) was spotless inside.
However, I have stopped sealing coils that are intended for regular ground use. The only ones I seal these days are destined for the beach.
The coil on my SurfMaster PI 950 is badly worn, and really needs a cover soon. When I get one, it will be sealed with clear RTV silicone sealant.

TheTreasureAddict

Mar 14, 2007
FLOR DI DA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, EXCALIBUR 1000, EXPLORER SE, E-TRAC, GTI 2500, V3, PI PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, silicone, comes off easy when you need it, stays on when you want it too. Also quite flexible and goes on like paint. Get the clear kind, any hardware, or walmart will have it.

CB

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread