Search Coil Vs Pit Bull Dog

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was kinda dragging butt this morning and didn't leave the house until around 8:15 or so because I was still sore from all the digging that I did a couple of days ago. I need to get back to pacing myself better.

The first site I went to was a 1953 house site that I got started detecting at an earlier date but never got finished covering the entire yard. I managed to get my search over a Rosie when I grid searched the yard at a different angle the second time around. Satisfied that there was nothing left, I headed off to another site.

The second place that I detected was a mid-fifties house site. I headed straight to back yard and started swinging away around the old clothesline. I got a perfect silver quarter reading, but ended up popping a Sterling Silver Pendant. Now that was happy surprise.

After finishing thoroughly going over the backyard I headed for the front yard. I got a super good audio signal, but the VDI numbers was saying it was at best a copper penny. I decided to dig it anyway, because of the good audio signal. I unearthed a tiny 925 Silver Ring. That hunch paid off.

In the middle of yard I got another good audio signal, but once again the VDI numbers were indicating at best it was a copper penny. After finding the silver ring, I decided to dig it anyway. I popped another Rosie Dime. From then on I started digging most every halfway decent sounding audio and VDI numbers.

As I working along the side of the driveway I got another good signal mixed in with some iron audio. I dug down and popped a Sterling Genie Pendant. I rechecked the hole and found a super tiny silver pendant that ended up breaking the attachment off when I tried to straighten it.

I saw a guy across the street loading his bicycle into his car. I ran over there and introduced myself and asked him for his permission to detect his yard. I got the OK, so I gave him a key chain light. He really liked it.

As I was working the middle of the front yard I was thinking to myself that his little rabbit size dog wouldn't stand a chance if those to big pit bulls next door ever got over that 4 foot chain link fence.

All of a sudden all hell broke loose. Dogs were barking like crazy and I heard someone yelling. I saw a huge pit bull come slowly walking down the driveway and once it saw me, it charged me at full speed. All that could do was stick the search coil out to stop him. That dog was raving loco mad.

Lucky for me the owner came running out his house screaming at his dog and he finally got him by collar, drug him away and put him his house. By this time I had lost all interest in doing anymore metal detecting at that site.

If that had been a small child instead of me, there would have been a serious mauling. I'm pretty sure that I would have been bitten if I hadn't had the detector to stop his attack. There wasn't even enough time for me to pull my gun and shoot.

Anyhow, I went to detect a site that I have already detected thoroughly, not to find anything there, but to see if one of the owners of the homes on either side of it would pop there heads out. Both lots were huge corner lots. The kind that I like to detect.

It didn't take long, one them came outside to go for a bike ride. I ran over to him and introduced myself and asked for his permission to detect his yard. He said sure have it. I told him that I had something for him for being so nice and handed him a key chain light. He was super excited about the key chain light and gave me big thank you before riding off on his bike.

Being a little wore out, I didn't detect long, but I did manage to dig a Rosie dime that was only few inches deep. It was sitting on a tree root and give perfect silver dime VDI number.

I'm really enjoying using the Nokta Fors Relic, but I still have a strong attachment to the CoRe. It seems to do better all round on coins and it runs a little smoother as well. I just need more time on the Relic to get it figured out.

tabman

Attachments

• Fors Relic - Genie - Pendant -Ring -3 Rosie Dimes 001.JPG
    Fors Relic - Genie - Pendant -Ring -3 Rosie Dimes 001.JPG
    644.4 KB · Views: 118
  • Fors Relic - Genie - Pendant -Ring -3 Rosie Dimes 002.JPG
    Fors Relic - Genie - Pendant -Ring -3 Rosie Dimes 002.JPG
    342 KB · Views: 121
  • Fors Relic - Genie - Pendant -Ring -3 Rosie Dimes 004.JPG
    Fors Relic - Genie - Pendant -Ring -3 Rosie Dimes 004.JPG
    620.5 KB · Views: 133
  • Fors Relic - Genie - Pendant -Ring -3 Rosie Dimes 006.JPG
    Fors Relic - Genie - Pendant -Ring -3 Rosie Dimes 006.JPG
    378.6 KB · Views: 121
  • Fors Relic - Genie - Pendant -Ring -3 Rosie Dimes 007.JPG
    Fors Relic - Genie - Pendant -Ring -3 Rosie Dimes 007.JPG
    699.8 KB · Views: 136
  • Fors Relic - Genie - Pendant -Ring -3 Rosie Dimes 008.JPG
    Fors Relic - Genie - Pendant -Ring -3 Rosie Dimes 008.JPG
    347.3 KB · Views: 126
  • Fors Relic - Genie - Pendant -Ring -3 Rosie Dimes 010.JPG
    Fors Relic - Genie - Pendant -Ring -3 Rosie Dimes 010.JPG
    667.3 KB · Views: 123
  • Fors Relic - Genie - Pendant -Ring -3 Rosie Dimes 012.JPG
    Fors Relic - Genie - Pendant -Ring -3 Rosie Dimes 012.JPG
    285.3 KB · Views: 108
  • Fors Relic - Genie - Pendant -Ring -3 Rosie Dimes 013.JPG
    Fors Relic - Genie - Pendant -Ring -3 Rosie Dimes 013.JPG
    627.3 KB · Views: 125
  • Fors Relic - Genie - Pendant -Ring -3 Rosie Dimes 014.JPG
    Fors Relic - Genie - Pendant -Ring -3 Rosie Dimes 014.JPG
    331 KB · Views: 111
  • Fors Relic - Genie - Pendant -Ring -3 Rosie Dimes 017.JPG
    Fors Relic - Genie - Pendant -Ring -3 Rosie Dimes 017.JPG
    718.5 KB · Views: 117
  • Fors Relic - Genie - Pendant -Ring -3 Rosie Dimes 018.JPG
    Fors Relic - Genie - Pendant -Ring -3 Rosie Dimes 018.JPG
    352.2 KB · Views: 106
  • Fors Relic - Genie - Pendant -Ring -3 Rosie Dimes 024.JPG
    Fors Relic - Genie - Pendant -Ring -3 Rosie Dimes 024.JPG
    400.3 KB · Views: 120
  • Fors Relic - Genie - Pendant -Ring -3 Rosie Dimes 022.JPG
    Fors Relic - Genie - Pendant -Ring -3 Rosie Dimes 022.JPG
    477.5 KB · Views: 117
Upvote 17

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dude wow I know you live in a bad area people threatening people things like that now pit Bulls you need to carry some steak bones with those key chain lights great finds as always I know you work very hard for those and deserve those great finds you go where the good stuff is and ask permissions !!!! Please!!!! Stay Safe my friend!!!!!Tommy

OP
OP
tabman

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dude wow I know you live in a bad area people threatening people things like that now pit Bulls you need to carry some steak bones with those key chain lights great finds as always I know you work very hard for those and deserve those great finds you go where the good stuff is and ask permissions !!!! Please!!!! Stay Safe my friend!!!!!Tommy

Thanks! I don't live in a bad area, I just metal detect in bad areas. Actually, I don't even detect in the town where I live. I drive about 10 to 15 miles into Memphis to do my detecting. My wife thinks I'm crazy.

tabman

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gotta go where the folks were dropping the goods........a denser populated area makes the odds better!!
Nice hunt, again, tabman!! Not sure I could have kept the concentration level up after the pit bull charge........

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's funny I think lots of people think were crazy I cant tell you how many times people ask you find any treasure .I think they think were looking for a pot o gold well yes I am looking for one but Ill take the gold silver and coins.I liive near Detroit which is an old area with tons of abandoned homes but I wont go there every time you found a coin you could be mugged LOL

HunterMF

Feb 17, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds and an even better reading! Stay safe out there!

OP
OP
tabman

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Every One!

It's raining here and I won't be doing any detecting today. Besides, I have to go in at 7:45 to the doctor's office for them to draw some blood for routine testing. I can't eat anything or drink any coffee until then. I sure miss my coffee!!!

tabman

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
Great finds and a good story. I wonder how often that pit bull "accidentally" gets loose. Sounds like a tragedy waiting to happen.
HH
dts

OP
OP
tabman

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great finds and a good story. I wonder how often that pit bull "accidentally" gets loose. Sounds like a tragedy waiting to happen.
HH
dts

If I was the guy living next door I would have already reported the owner about his pit bull getting loose. When that pit bull kills his little dog, it'll be too late.

tabman

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on some great finds, and for handling the dog situation. That has happened to me before and its never good when you only have a detector to protect you.

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on a great haul of silver! You have some serious stamina to hit so many sites in one hunt. My internal body clock, and my wife's texts, tell me when my 2hr mark is near. I've had similar dog encounters and luckily didn't have to use the shovel as a defense weapon. I think they can hear the beeps from my headphones from a hundred yards away and start barking.

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was quite a story and I'm glad the pit bull backed off for you! Your search coil might have surprised him and caught him off guard. Great collection of finds! :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
tabman

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Everyone! I felt like a lion tamer at the circus with that search coil fending off that pit bull.

tabman

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks Every One!

It's raining here and I won't be doing any detecting today. Besides, I have to go in at 7:45 to the doctor's office for them to draw some blood for routine testing. I can't eat anything or drink any coffee until then. I sure miss my coffee!!!

tabman

Just pour coffee into a baggie and bring it to the appointment for the Nurse, "Here's my blood"!

Glad all worked out.

Good hunting. :coffee2:

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the silver coins and jewelry! :occasion14:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Glad you did not get harmed by the dog tabman and congrats on another silver producing day.

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad the dog didn't get you, I have been attacked by one and am the owner of a nice bite scar on my chest and a plate and 13 screws in my wrist that broke when I went down and the E.R. visit bill, that the owner didn't pay.Stay safe out there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions