Searched for lost ring today (LONG)

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Close enough to the beach
Detector(s) used
**Tesoro Tiger Shark** Tesoro Silver Umax** Minelab Sov Gt w/WOT coil** Whites 6000Di Pro SL**
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was looking through craigs list today. During my search, I saw an ad for a lost ring not far from my house. It was just posted yesterday , so I figured I'd give the woman a call. It had been raining in the morning, but it was in the process of clearing out. I told the woman that I had a few errands to run and by the time I was done the rain should be gone.

I arrived at her house just after noon. She showed me all the possible areas where the ring could be. I searched all those areas and everything in between. The ring was lost a few days ago, so I figured I shouldn't have to do too much digging. I found a rusty nail and a few pieces of scrap gutter pieces on the side of the house. This was where she thought the ring was most likely going to be found. The next area was the water valve to the garden hose. She thought it may have slipped off while turning on/off the water. The only problem with this was, she had lava rock put down the day after and in the same area where she thinks she lost the ring. The lava rocks were setting off the detector, even with the sensitivity turned way down. She was watching the whole time and didn't understand about the lava rock/mineralization connection. I gave her my Vibraprobe 570 and held a lava rock in front of it. After that she understood. I suggested clearing out some of the lava rocks and pulling up the liner that had been put down. She didn't want to do that, so not much I could do.

So, then she tells me she thinks it possibly fell down one of the drains. I check all the S-bend pipes under the sinks with my pinpointer (plastic pipes). No luck there.

In the ad she said she also thought it could've been lost at the community pool. So, we hop in her car and off to the pool we go. Now, this is one of the nicer gated communities in the area, so strolling through the clubhouse to the pool carrying a detector, headphones, pinpointer and digger (out of sight) was something else. She showed me where she was sitting. I looked all over the area, I moved loungers, chairs, tables- no luck. Then she asks me if I could check the area between the pool deck and the bushes. Her idea was that the ring slipped off and bounced off the pool deck into the woodchips below. There was a 3 foot drop from the pool deck to the woodchips and bushes surrounding the pool deck. There was about 10 inches between the bushes and the pool deck. I'm shuffling between the bushes and detecting I ended up with a couple pieces of foil, a dime, 2 nickels and a damp 1 dollar bill(eyeball find). Still, no ring.

We retrace her steps back to the parking lot, still nothing. We get back to her house continuing to retrace her steps. Nada. So at this point I had been there for 2 1/2 hours. I expressed how much I regretted not finding her ring for her. She was disappointed but grateful for my effort. I gave her my card and she handed me $15, I told it wasn't necessary especially since I didn't find her ring, but she insisted. Oh well, I tried.
The End

Upvote 0

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry it didn't work out but at least she recoginzed that you performed a service and paid you something. Maybe she just misplaced it and it will turn up for her.

OP
OP
willie d

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Detector(s) used
**Tesoro Tiger Shark** Tesoro Silver Umax** Minelab Sov Gt w/WOT coil** Whites 6000Di Pro SL**
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
txkickergirl said:
Sorry it didn't work out but at least she recoginzed that you performed a service and paid you something. Maybe she just misplaced it and it will turn up for her.
I hope she finds it too. She was a really nice woman. She designed the ring and had it custom made. She wants to pass it down to her daughter. I was soooo disappointed I couldn't find it. I would've loved to of found it, even if I couldn't keep it.

OP
OP
willie d

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yardqueen said:
That was a really nice thing you did!
Thanks yardqueen.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread