OLD coin...only cleaned a small portion, should I keep cleaing it?!?!

grogmug

Apr 26, 2006
Kentucky

Attachments

• 1800\'s coin.jpg
    1800\'s coin.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 1,145
Upvote 0

baspinall

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2006
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Equinox 800
GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can you get a better pic? Both sides.

B

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely need better pics. The corrosion looks like what appears on white base metal, maybe a counterfiet or token of some sort. If that is the case cleaning will be tough.

Detectingfreak

Gold Member
Apr 26, 2006
Bellevue, WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro TigerShark
I would clean it if it was silver. If it is copper do not clean it! That messes up your coins! :(

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Detectingfreak said:
I would clean it if it was silver. If it is copper do not clean it! That messes up your coins! :(

I wouldn't rush to clean anything I couldn't ID.. especially if dug with 1700s finds.

As for copper ... All you have to do is let PA Kirk talk to em on the phone.... he's the coppa whisperer. :D :D :D

OP
OP
grogmug

grogmug

Apr 26, 2006
Kentucky
It looks like an old 50 or 25 cent piece, but doesn't really look silver. It has a little corrosion and a VERY visible eagle with writing around the edges. I can make out the SHIN but I haven't cleaned anything else yet. It looks to have a little bit of redish tint. I guess its from being in the ground so long? Any other guesses to what it might be?

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
grogmug said:
It looks like an old 50 or 25 cent piece, but doesn't really look silver. It has a little corrosion and a VERY visible eagle with writing around the edges. I can make out the SHIN but I haven't cleaned anything else yet. It looks to have a little bit of redish tint. I guess its from being in the ground so long? Any other guesses to what it might be?

Don't have a scanner to get a better pic? Someone may know right off the top of their head but otherwise you will probably need a good picture of each side.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
at1cad said:
Looks like a Mexican copper to me. The eagle looks like this pic.

I was thinking the eagle faced the other way but that may be corrosion. If a match quite possibly a counterfeit reale.

inneedoftherapy

Feb 29, 2008
Between the cornrows, Illinois
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
at1cad said:
Looks like a Mexican copper to me. The eagle looks like this pic.

I cant be of much help here but that is a close call you have there I see the eagle (in my view) of having a more upright head with the lean more towards the left. rather than a right lean I am a novice and would clean it till nothing remains so stop before you hit that point nice find cannot wait to see the results

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another possibilty would be an early 1800s military button and you see part of the makers mark on the other side. (an obvious sign would be a spot where the shank was)

Is it definitely a coin? (I think it is more coin like, just throwing out ideas)

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When you said that there was writing on the edge--do you mean the rim or around the actual edge of the coin?

It could be a counterfeit (or heavily oxidized) Capped Bust Half...but I imagine you'd be able to ID a U.S. coin like that though...

We need better photos. Use the macro setting on your camera. Get a good light source.

-Buckles

DougF

Mar 19, 2007
Maryland, USA
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro
Until we get a better pic, I'll make a guess - maybe one of the Washington tokens issued in the late 1700s. Several have an eagle on the reverse, and "shin" could be part of Washington. Most seem to be about half dollar size.

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
Well, since you're in Kentucky, I'll guess that it's this c. 1850 trade token issued by Taylor & Raymond of Louisville, KY,
and that the "SHIN" is part of the surrounding lettering "GENTLEMAN'S FURNISHING / STORE."

The token was brass, about the same size as a large cent, and had the same wreath design on the reverse, but with the words, "NOT ONE CENT / BUT JUST AS GOOD."

(Sorry, no pic of the reverse.)

GI 98 Cuff.JPG

Kiros32

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PBK said:
Well, since you're in Kentucky, I'll guess that it's this c. 1850 trade token issued by Taylor & Raymond of Louisville, KY,
and that the "SHIN" is part of the surrounding lettering "GENTLEMAN'S FURNISHING / STORE."

The token was brass, about the same size as a large cent, and had the same wreath design on the reverse, but with the words, "NOT ONE CENT / BUT JUST AS GOOD."

(Sorry, no pic of the reverse.)

You never cease to amaze me, and you are always so "matter of fact" about it ;D If this is what it turns out to be...that's a sweet find!!!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This confirms the only thing I knew... which is the thought I had never seen one before. I'm a long way from KY. :D

jorge del norte

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2005
nc
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex - Tesoro Conquistador Umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
did you hear grogmug?............nice find PBK is the man..i would clean it and take a better picture......

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread