Searching a Ghost Town from 1815 to 1846.

camb1

Bronze Member
Dec 11, 2006
Southern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000 & Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am planning to detect an old ghost town soon. There are no foundations left of the buildings. I have located the locations of the Town Square, Tavern, City Water Well, Ferry Landing and Doctor's Office. The reason this town did not exist long was due to the court house burning and all records were lost. It was voted by residents to move the town to higher ground because of flooding. I was wandering where should I start searching?

Upvote 0

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Did that town start with an "S"

I might be able to provide an old map....heavy on the "might" ....digging digging digging for it now.....

OP
OP
camb1

camb1

Bronze Member
Dec 11, 2006
Southern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I own this property and there are not many maps due to all records were lost in fire in 1843. The Town is called Brownsville. It's population was around 400 to 500. The maps I have are from historical societies and archaeological digs of the town done by S.I.U. & I.S.U. The digs were of a small area where railroad tracks were going through. They built the tracks over the bank and general store foundations.

laralucine

Dec 27, 2004
S.E. PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 Minelab X-Terra 50
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Camb,
if you know the locations of the Tavern and the Ferry landing, I'd start there - depending on the history you can find (i.e.4th of July picnics, etc) the Town Square might also have had lots of foot traffic. Sounds like a great place!
Good luck and lets see pix of your finds when you make them!
LL

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Is this still there?

Attachments

• House built in 1830 Onnly remaininghouse in Brownsville.jpg
    House built in 1830 Onnly remaininghouse in Brownsville.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 361

laralucine

Dec 27, 2004
S.E. PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 Minelab X-Terra 50
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're so awesome, Gypsy :D

OP
OP
camb1

camb1

Bronze Member
Dec 11, 2006
Southern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, this is no longer standing. This was the last standing building that was torn down by previous landowner. You must be on Jackson County Historical Society web-site.

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Actually its Chapter 51 of

A HISTORY OF SOUTHERN ILLINOIS
'A Narrative Account of its Historical Progress, its People, and its Principal Interests'

BY George Washington Smith, M. A.

VOLUME I - III

ILLUSTRATED THE LEWIS PUBLISHING COMPANY

CHICAGO AND NEW YORK 1912

OP
OP
camb1

camb1

Bronze Member
Dec 11, 2006
Southern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are some records, but but nothing that gives you much info. I have a book called:
Old Brownsville Phase III Archaeological Investigations at an Early Nineteenth-Century Frontier Town and Seat of Justice Jackson County, Illinois. This is an 8 1/2" by 11" book that is over 2" thick. It has everything known about Brownsville and was put together by a friend of mine at the John A. Logan Museum. It has helped me a lot in my research. I hope when it warms up I will find some things around well and town square areas.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread