Stupid Newbie Questions

coolpix9

Bronze Member
Jan 17, 2007
Primary Interest:
Other
#1 On a good day, how much acreage could you cover swinging an MD ?

#2 If you had 65,000 acres to cover, what would you do to narrow down the search. For example foundations,paths,stock tanks, what would you go after first.

#3 As far as I know, this property was abandoned in 1948, and cows have been grazing there ever since.

Thanks for your input, I know there are a ton of variables, I am just curious. Jim

Upvote 0

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
Cool,

65,000 acres :o

Where you think folks would congrigate.

Area where folks would pass by, getting from one
location to another.

have a good un..................
SHERMANVILLE

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sherm about covered it. What was it used for, where did they park, etc. Near any large trees or different type shrubs like where a building sat. Are there any old maps or photos?

jopher

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2003
Mid Michigan
Detector(s) used
IDX Classic SL-x2....Excalibur1000
Stupid questions , newbie!....just kidding ;D
As you stated , there are alot of variables. How long was the property occupied pre1948?
Is this a ghost town or a single homestead?Is there an area that was hand farmed...pre farm machinery?
I think that most would start near the foundations and work thier way outward until the finds peter out.If there are business foundations, they would be more likely to produce keepers.On trails or roads in front of these as well as around and in the footings.
If there is a pre-farm machinery homesite,typically there might be a family garden area to one side or the other.....good areas to check.
Any large old growth trees in the area?? could be a play area or picnic grove.Any water on site?....a stream or pond that could have been a swimming hole?
As Sherm said, Look for places where people would have gathered or routes regularly traveled.
.......On a really good day you would cover 1000 square ft carefully....good luck on 65000 acres.......Joe

red

Feb 17, 2005
Lexington, Texas
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ70, Garrett 500
OK everyone thats read my stuff knows where I'll say start hunting.
Find an old Topo map and see if there are any springs listed on that 65000.
I bet there is and everyone and there animals needed water and springs were magnets to travelers, outlaws, Indians and used for good old gettogethers.
If you were a wagonmaster in the 1800s you knew all the springs to get watter at better then your wife's birthday.
Have fun on all that land and use a really big coil.
Red

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
coolpix9 said:
#1 On a good day, how much acreage could you cover swinging an MD ?

#2 If you had 65,000 acres to cover, what would you do to narrow down the search. For example foundations,paths,stock tanks, what would you go after first.

#3 As far as I know, this property was abandoned in 1948, and cows have been grazing there ever since.

Thanks for your input, I know there are a ton of variables, I am just curious. Jim

1) depends on a lot of factors..

2) Foundations, Springs, local water flows (where they got water), Big/Old trees, paths to town (and/or church)

3) ;D Sounds great.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You don't say where this Acreage is.

is it all in one Lump or is it here & there adding up to 65,000 ?

are their homes (Abandond & or, Torn down) are they recognizable ?

Go to a Historical Society or Library, or court house.
Find out if they have an atlas from the 1800's that covers the area.

Compare them to now. find Churches, parks, Hotels & schools on them.
Read Histories of the area.

Look on DEFUNCT PARKS. see if there were any amusement parks there.

Research, Research, Research.

IF your limited in your Permission time,
Research at night & on rainy days.
If you have Snow, get the research started now.

=======================

HAPPY HUNTING !

and keeping us posted are the most Important things

========================

JEFF

cryptodave

Aug 25, 2005
Currituck County, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Look for high ground.... That does not mean a mountain or a hill, just a portion of the field that seems a little higher than the rest. Keep your eyes open to the ground for brick and porcelian chips as they are usually indicators your getting closer to target. Obviously a plow will mix all that up over the years, but the chips indicate one was more than likely there.
Look for boxwood on the treeline. Boxwood is an indicator of a colonial period home.

Go to your soil and water conservation department for the county. Most of them have arial photos of areas dating back pretty early. Mine has them back to 1938, and it has helped me id land use and homesites many many times.

silverswede

Dec 12, 2005
Pinehurst. Idaho
Detector(s) used
Minelab SOVEREIGN XS-2a PRO
Question #1........ ONE ACRE

Question #2....... 178.06 years

Of course it would take much longer if I had to do alot of digging.

Charlene

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
SE, Virginia
Detector(s) used
MineLab Excal II & Bounty Hunter Land Star
Sometimes when I start finding broken plow blades, I take notice. Plow blades break when they hit something as a rule of thumb.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread