Searching around an island your not permitted on?

grunthead

Jun 18, 2005
I want to search around some islands(United States)but no one is allowed on it.That is not the problem as I want to search the water AROUND it.There are no leases,mineral rights,ect. to have to worry about.It is the local game patrol that give us grief.Some of my friends have actually been ticketed but have beat it by showing a picture of the sand (island)with no footprints on it.I don't want a ticket,but really don't want to have to appear in court and explain that the guy is an idiot and doesn't know what he is talking about.Or is it me who is the idiot?As Long as I am in the water I should be ok?Does anyone know of a law or paperwork that I can download/write in to get to show this game warden to get him off our back if or when it happens?Thank you from a guy new to the game.

Upvote 0

slow sweeper

Jan 7, 2005
Oregon
I'd like to apologize to everyone that is a member of or just reads this forum. When I first answered this post I didn't mean for it to take a political bent. But when I read dano's post about "I say screw the government" I had to speak up.
I personally do not think it's right to metal detect where you do not have permission. If you do not like the law, try to change the law. If you'd rather break the law then take the consequences without complaining. But when you do it affects more people than just yourself.
More and more places are becoming off limits to metal detectors because of a handfull of people who do not think beyond what they want. Maybe someone doesn't care if they tresspass or not. Maybe someone doesn't want to bother picking up the trash they dig or filling back the holes they dig. But when they act like this it reflects bad on everyone who enjoys metal detecting. People, we need to police our own or risk losing more and more places where we can metal detect.
I'll say no more on the subject. Although I'm sure I'll be tempted. ;D

gldhntr

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004
when white man came here, the great spirit owned the land. the indians had been living here around 12-18,000 years. they went where they wanted, and respected the land..the only sign they had even been here was arrow points made of rock found on occasion.....the water was pure, and the air fresh... they were in harmony with the land and the true owner of it..........here comes white man around 400-500 years ago....they killed many people they had no right to kill for this land....they took this land and trashed it to the point you have to boil the water to be able to drink,,and stay sick because of the air,,,,,you can not walk 1 mile without seeing garbage and trash of all degrees....{ and called the indians savage ? } .. once they killed off or hearded the remainder onto reservations, they split up this once beautiful land,, sold the land they did not rightfully own,,,,claimed yet more and say you can't do this or that,,,, {all in the name of progress ? or GREED ? } now they go to church and profess love and belief in the spirit that STILL owns this land......WONDER HOW HE LOOKS AT IT ??????....I think you know how I do.........Oh and this is not a racist slam against white man,,, I am decended from germans from the black forest of germany, and scottish from the highlands,, but have enough lakota souix thrown in to give a damn that my son or grandson will have to wear life support one day just to live here because of the policys of the federal government,, and that many of my ancestors were most probably murdered and treated as wild animals in the name of the same institution........GLDHNTR

dano91

Apr 3, 2005
colorado
Good point! I tend to jump out of my seat, and do a war cry when I hear someone tell me I have no right to do this or that.
Now I don't go trespassing on land where I'm not wanted, but I don't see the harm in moving a little dirt around somewhere.
And I have yet to see ANY evidence where some MD'er left some holes unfilled and got us all kicked out,Think its all just what they want us to think.
Dano
P.S. 1/4 Cherokee

OP
OP
G

grunthead

Jun 18, 2005
Thanks guys for all the input,I figure I'm going to take my chances.Found out where this guy stores his boat,so before I go I'll just make sure the boats there.I have no intentions of going on the island,never have just want to check out a section where some ships used to unload goods.I don't know how old it is but I can trace it back to 1800 or so.It is no longer used and everything long gone even the town on the island from a long ago hurricane.The section I want to hunt is origanilly part of the island but over hundreds of years is know underwater.

Vrent

Nov 30, 2004
surfside beach sc
you never exactly said what you were trying to do. you can detect from a boat, expecially if what you are looking for is big enough target. I am sure some of the folks in the shipwrecks or geophysics forums can give you some ideas for detecting without the classic metal detector. or perhaps you could try snorkling or scuba

OP
OP
G

grunthead

Jun 18, 2005
People go to the island all the time,fishermen usually to catch bait and sightseerers who run there boats aground and get stuck there.No one is allowed on the island but MANY folks hang out around it.I'm not searching for some hidden wreck just thought there might be some goodies to be had,you never know.I'll be in a boat but will be wading along the shore. I'll do a post I'm sure and we'll see I guess.It will take me a month to get a chance to get out there the way my schedule is looking.

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In Maryland the key is the High Tide line. All is far game up to it. But there has to be water over it. You cannot cross property to get to it. Most places don't bother you, but stay in the water.

Ed

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread