Searching for new rig please help

OhioDigger24

Sep 9, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all, we just bought 20 acres of revolutionary/civil war era farmland and im super excited to get out and hunt it all. The original farm house site is only 1000 feet from my front door here in Lebanon Ohio.

Currently i have a Coinmaster pro. Nice little beginner rig, but i want something far more sophisticated. Im not looking for a buried treasure, but coins and relics, but treasure would be nice!

Ive been researching ideal rigs. Im leaning toward the Minelab Equinox 800 purely off of reviews and info ive read. The price is high, but i can swimg it i think. Finding a nice used 800 would be ideal, but cant fimd anything in my area that isnt priced enough to buy used (800-1200).

I have 2 questions. Id like to get a consensus on the 800. Its part field and part woods. Seems to have a lot of clay. Dirt is soft from years of being farmed. Is the 800 worth it or is there a better rig in this price range?

Second, who is a reputable shop? I dont really want to buy from ebay or amazon, but i also want to find a good shop that will work with me if something goes wrong.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I want to get this thing ordered!
Thanks
OHD24

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can,t help on your choice of machine,but there,s a whole list of reputable sellers in the supporting vendors forum,complete with reviews from buyers.Might help you out. Good luck!

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
The Legend, Anfibio Equinox 900, Gold Kruzer, XP Deus, ORX, Tesoro Tejon, Whites GMT, Falcon MD20, XP MI-6, Fisher F-Pulse, Pulse Dive, Vibra Probe, UniProbe.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This is the question that creates a feeding frenzy of fanboys for every brand of detector! The Equinox is a good detector operationally, but it has structural and build quality issues that you need to research. You have to replace the pole with a carbon fiber one and install coil-ear strengtheners right off the bat. Then, if you like water hunting, you need to decide if you're going to take the chance and submerge it underwater or not. They have a lot of problems with leaky housings. They're about $300 more than detectors in the same performance range.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions