🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Searching my new property (agates found!)

EricTheCat

Oct 4, 2011
Southern Minnesota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello,

I moved last October. I have been seeing what I can find on my new property.

It is a ~3.5 acre lot in Southern Minnesota with a long gravel driveway, landscaping river rock around the house and the usual (and unusual) boulders you might find on a typical country lot.

Here are some of the things I have found so far.

Agates! 3 lake superior agates and 2 Montana moss agates* (more on this later)
Agates-2024-03-30-IMG_3889S.jpg

Lake superior agates.
Agate-2024-03-30-IMG_3899S.jpg

Agates-2024-03-29-IMG_3885S.jpg

Montana moss agates. Love those dendrites!
Agate-2024-03-30-IMG_3890S.jpg

Agate-2024-03-30-IMG_3893S.jpg

This I found interesting. The Montana moss agates both were found in my driveway gravel which is mostly crushed limestone but some other stuff in the mix as you can see here. I sometimes have found these types of dendritic moss agates while collecting lake superior agates and assumed that they were a variety of lake superior agate. I've been researching this and have found references to Montana moss agates being found in SW Minnesota. Turns out I was probably wrong and Montana moss agates can be found all the way over here. I've found them in South Dakota but didn't realize they made it this far East.
Rocks-2024-03-30-IMG_3918S.jpg

I mentioned boulders. There is one particularly interesting one that looks just like the garnet in mica schist material I have found in South Dakota accept the "garnets" (if that's what they are) are significantly larger (up to 3/4 inch). This will be fun to investigate further. I haven't found any references to indicate that garnets are ever found in this area. Hard to say if someone hauled it from somewhere else or if these were sometimes in the glacial mix.
Rocks-2024-03-30-IMG_3915S.jpg

Rocks-2024-03-30-IMG_3913S.jpg

Rocks-2024-03-30-IMG_3911S.jpg

I hope you enjoyed seeing some treasures and are having good luck finding some of your own.

Happy hunting,
Eric

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You’re in the right spot for Lake Superior agates. I’ve been hunting in the glacial till here in central IL. I’ve found some interesting things. Agates are presents but pretty rare. So many rock, so little time!

Upvote 2
OP
OP
EricTheCat

EricTheCat

Oct 4, 2011
Southern Minnesota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You’re in the right spot for Lake Superior agates. I’ve been hunting in the glacial till here in central IL. I’ve found some interesting things. Agates are presents but pretty rare. So many rock, so little time!

So true. I really want to get out and do some searching but getting the yard up to spec and getting a couple garden beds ready is going to take a lot of time away from that. Having a "mini-winter" eat up a chunk of the spring didn't help!

Very nice. Thanks for posting

Thanks! Happy hunting.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread