Searching old house advise

WeaponsUSMC

Jul 26, 2005
Findlay Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
My wife and I are in the works at the moment of buying a house built in 1900, What are some techniques of going through the house to see if any old cashe's were ever left in it? This is a very small village in N/W ohio with a population of 500 people or less, to the best of my knowledge there has never been a bank in this village and the closest town is 10 miles away. This fact would seem to me that there is a high chance that people hid there money in the house. There is a full basement in the place and a large lot with a cement block garage and an old carrage house (where they stored the horse buggy at). Thanks in advance for any suggestions....Bill

Upvote 0
M

mattjd

Some places to look:

- at the chimney - look for bricks that are loose (people would hide coins or paper money behind loose bricks in their chimney, look at the outside as well as the inside of the chemney
- in the basement - look for discontinued pipelines that are sticking out of the wall, people would often times hide money inside these pipes, if the pipe has a cover over it chances are better because that means that they didn't want anyone to get into the pipe, also look for loose bricks in the wall, and any other hideyhole area in the basements ceiling
- the attic - check on top of the rafters for hidden money, also don't forget to check the chimney for loose bricks in the attic (a lot of people overlook doing that)
- the rooms - check tops of closets, in old furnature, and inside old mattresses, also look for loose floor boards

Here's a story of a house that I searched (it's the first story on the page:

http://mattsthsite.tripod.com/id13.html

Hope you find something in your house.

HH MattJD

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
dont forget to scan the moulding around doors and windows with your metal detector.also...outside, look for loose fence posts. under them was a popular spot for burying a casch. also don't forget the flower bed,under big trees or any other prominent structure in the yard.

xXx

Nov 17, 2004
back in Indiana again
Detector(s) used
Multiple land, beach, underwater and specialty units
The most information you will EVER find ANYWHERE about your search possibilities is right here on the forum. Go to the "Cache Hunting" area of the forum. Once there you will only have to scroll down a few topics to find the one titled "Where is my neighbors hidden cache" which was started by Beekrock a little while back. This topic has probably been by far the most popular topic on the forum since I've been here. You will find all the possible hiding spots, and more.
Just to let you know, it did pay off for good ole' Beekrock. Be sure to read every page of the post. This will surely help you in your hunt.
Good luck, and for God's sake, be sure to keep us all posted on you search.
xXx

OP
OP
WeaponsUSMC

WeaponsUSMC

Jul 26, 2005
Findlay Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
As of this moment, where still in the process of the paper work for the house so it will be a while. But I still will not be retired when/if we get the house, If we are lucky enuff my wife and children will move back to Ohio before me and I will stay here untill atleast Nov timeframe. and thanks for the advise. And will keep ya'll posted on finds if any. One last question, If the gods are smiling on me and I do find an old cashe. If I own the house can the Government still come in and seize what you find?

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It would Depend On What you Found.

You CAN't Be Accused of Evading Taxes Unless You Sell the Item(S)

OR COME UP WITH A VERY LARGE AMOUNT OF CASH.

You Only Realy Have to Worry About Former Owners Finding Out & Laying Claim.

Or IF YOU FIND Something The Government Would Want Like Large Amounts of GOLD

Please Note:? This is Struictly My opinion Givin.
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? It in NO WAY means I Actually Know What I'm Talking About? ;D

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? JEFF

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread