Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I watch the show tonight and it was fairly interested. They dug one hole and came up with wood and a whole lot of water. Now they are digging out the swamp.

burlbark

Mar 5, 2011
So my friend you are an expert on antique jewelry? From the picture you can make that assessment. The women claimed experts have stated it is around 600 years old. Why do you think they are lying? What proof do you have for this claim?

I have been dealing in antique jewelry for the last 35 years. It was my mothers business and I was raised in it.

Doesn't the cross look old?

It has no new features to it other the the fine braised on shank or loop, whichever you prefer. It appears that the makers did not intend to convey a style so that it would be difficult to determine where and when it was made. And that is the rub....

This type of jewelry did not come into fashion until after the 1950's. Old gold craftsman from the sated period of 1400-1500 where very proud of their ability to fashion gold and show the world their talents. Providence was indicated through style if no makers marks where used.

This cross appears to be arc welded and would be quite fragile if it where not for the fact that it appears to be 14kt. Gold once again from this period often would have the orange luster of 22k with higher copper content or muddy from a lower kt casting. The fragility or fabricated porosity of the piece betrays its ability to stand the test of time in the hands of the common man.

There is not a feature or attribute on this cross that supports authenticity to period.

I have seen several of this home shopping club knock off cross. It is without a doubt that the ladies got their 15 seconds of fame and I have no problem calling it like I see it.

Dig the hole and get on with the next treasure quest on a tropical island somewhere.

Eldo

Banned
Jul 7, 2014
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Brain, Pointing Finger, occasionally the Pinky Finger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think they are gonna fake a Gold Find somewhere else this week.
Just to keep up with Treasure Quest
and have an Excuse , for not continuing at the Dig Site.
other then the truth, that there is nothing at the bottom but mud

Yeah with that new triangle on the "Temple of Doom" stone , but this time with a hole in the center, lol

Treasure Quest FAKE TRIANGLE.jpg

you would think they were closing right in on my vault in Vermont.....

TriangleCarving Smuggs.jpg

They are REALLY starving for content......

They know they can buy the fakery cheap to sensationalize the chase even if they cant find anything but a planted item.....

I watched the faces of the natives......they were not happy

Elder 3.jpg

Roadhse2

Mar 15, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
burlbark,

Thanks for affirming my thoughts on the loop on the cross...

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I watch the show tonight and it was fairly interested. They dug one hole and came up with wood and a whole lot of water. Now they are digging out the swamp.

I was impressed with Last nights episode also.

I was afraid they were going to leave us Hang rather then Admit the wood
was not from their imaginary Vault.
Or that they were going to imagine Secret codes on the wood,
rather then Saw marks.

I also Enjoyed the Metal Detecting .

on the New hole And the possible Gold.
Perhaps a Necklace Chapel or one of the Other searchers over the years wore & lost.
Perhaps even still Connected to one of the Searchers who lost their Life many years ago.

however "All that Glitters" is not gold.
So perhaps another Let-down for the end of the season.
We shall see. But again, They reinforced my Interest in the show this week
with the amount of Searching & No B.S. type finds.

at that depth you don't need Magical booby traps to Flood things.
You need Magical Abilities to Not Flood things
laughing7.gif
they proved that last night.

so as long as they avoid talking actual pirate treasure , Knights Templars or Shakespeare manuscripts type things, 200 feet deep in water-logged island mud :tongue3:

I'm on board :thumbsup:

Last edited:

gemee

Jul 31, 2004
California
I have been dealing in antique jewelry for the last 35 years. It was my mothers business and I was raised in it.

Doesn't the cross look old?

It has no new features to it other the the fine braised on shank or loop, whichever you prefer. It appears that the makers did not intend to convey a style so that it would be difficult to determine where and when it was made. And that is the rub....

This type of jewelry did not come into fashion until after the 1950's. Old gold craftsman from the sated period of 1400-1500 where very proud of their ability to fashion gold and show the world their talents. Providence was indicated through style if no makers marks where used.

This cross appears to be arc welded and would be quite fragile if it where not for the fact that it appears to be 14kt. Gold once again from this period often would have the orange luster of 22k with higher copper content or muddy from a lower kt casting. The fragility or fabricated porosity of the piece betrays its ability to stand the test of time in the hands of the common man.

There is not a feature or attribute on this cross that supports authenticity to period.

I have seen several of this home shopping club knock off cross. It is without a doubt that the ladies got their 15 seconds of fame and I have no problem calling it like I see it.

Dig the hole and get on with the next treasure quest on a tropical island somewhere.
I CONCUR 100% with everything you said. I am a jeweler specializing in antique jewelry and my instant impression was that this cross was not ancient and it was 14K.

Singlestack Wonder

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"at that depth you don't need Magical booby traps to Flood things.
You need Magical Abilities to Not Flood things they proved that last night."

+10....Proves that there are no flood tunnels and that if you are on an island with natural underground waterways and dig holes deeper than the ocean's surface, then attempt to pump the water out, the water will always back fill the hole.

OP
OP
gazzahk

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was good they told us the wood was modern and then decided not to waste time digging any further.. The chances of them digging in the pit on their next dig is non existent then ie no chapels vault was found on the way down so it is not the original pit. It would be such a laugh if they found a gold ore deposit running under the island...:laughing7:

There is no way that much water is coming from a flood tunnel. It has to be connected straight to some type of underground natural water source connected to the ocean.

I think if they still do actually believe the pit exists they need to bore more small holes and find 'chappels vault' before wasting time digging another great big hole.

I would guess they have pretty much run out of reasons to dig more holes...

burlbark

Mar 5, 2011
I thought they where supposed to be at virgin ground depth and here we are at 142 feet and they are hitting tunnels? How deep did the previous searchers really go?

How in the heck did Chappels son dig down to 142 feet and started boring a tunnel sideways and not get flooded out in the first 50 feet? This seems like an amazing feat by itself. 800 gallons per minute is allot of water to deal with.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I thought they where supposed to be at virgin ground depth and here we are at 142 feet and they are hitting tunnels? How deep did the previous searchers really go?

How in the heck did Chappels son dig down to 142 feet and started boring a tunnel sideways and not get flooded out in the first 50 feet? This seems like an amazing feat by itself. 800 gallons per minute is allot of water to deal with.

In 1931 Chappell went down to 163 ft.

In 1965 Dunfield did a 100 ft diameter crater down to 134 ft with a 70 ton crane and may have done additional pits at the bottom.

Triton got down to 235 ft in what is now at or near Hole 10X in 1967. That collapsed and the current 10X was redug to 181 ft.

OP
OP
gazzahk

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yep.. Pretty amazing he got that deep with basic tools and did not drown himself. It also shows Dunfield did not really get that deep. It is incredible the efforts people will go to find treasure based on not much more then rumor.

There must be a significant system of underwater caves/hollows under that part of Oak Island. 10X found one of them. Chappels group found one of them under the vault. The brothers have found one of them we will see next week. Given that they must be pretty close to where the money pit was there is a chance that the cavity they will explore next week is a part of the same one found under the original pit.

I wonder if they will send a diver down there. I imagine that the pipe is not clean of rubbish on it sides as that claw is not a tight fit so I guess if they were going to send down a diver they would have to clean the pipe up quite a bit.

If nothing else this island is a pretty amazing testament to the efforts that man will go for treasure...

sasquash

Nov 2, 2016
North of Quebec
Detector(s) used
Computers
Primary Interest:
Other
Supposed to have 6 episodes left (instead of 1) in the season 4 :

All that glitters
The mystery of Samuel Ball
Echoes from the deep

And 3 other TBD

:coffee2:

Last edited:
OP
OP
gazzahk

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Supposed to have 6 episodes left (instead of 1) in the season 4 :

All that glitters
The mystery of Samuel Ball

:coffee2:
Cool.. Must of decided to finish up this season. Cannot see 6 more episodes this season and then another whole season of stuff left for them to do. Even 6 more episodes will be a stretch I would think.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No worries. Five seasons and we have three gold links someone may have found, a sword bought off ebaY, a smooth stone that they knew had been worn smooth before they went offsite looking for it and didn't really find it, a map some telephone-voice-only lady found in a book with no providence or age support, and a beam they hit twice that turned out to be modern.

They might stretch this eight seasons by visiting Jerusalem, Long Island (announcer: "an island, in the Atlantic Ocean?"), and Oakland , California.

sasquash

Nov 2, 2016
North of Quebec
Detector(s) used
Computers
Primary Interest:
Other
Cool.. Must of decided to finish up this season. Cannot see 6 more episodes this season and then another whole season of stuff left for them to do. Even 6 more episodes will be a stretch I would think.

Maybe the gov didn't want to put more $$$ and they have to film all for this season ...

sasquash

Nov 2, 2016
North of Quebec
Detector(s) used
Computers
Primary Interest:
Other
No worries. Five seasons and we have three gold links someone may have found, a sword bought off ebaY, a smooth stone that they knew had been worn smooth before they went offsite looking for it and didn't really find it, a map some telephone-voice-only lady found in a book with no providence or age support, and a beam they hit twice that turned out to be modern.

They might stretch this eight seasons by visiting Jerusalem, Long Island (announcer: "an island, in the Atlantic Ocean?"), and Oakland , California.

And in season 9 they find the treasure on Gilligan's island :laughing7:

OP
OP
gazzahk

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Ha ha... Yep quite a lot to show for there efforts... That piece looking for the stone in the town was up there with the most pointless fill pieces of the 5 seasons.. I imagine that when the brothers finally give up there will still be those out there that believe they just didn't look in the right place and the treasure is still there waiting to be claimed....

HunterNC

Greenie
Dec 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can someone please refresh my memory. When they did the 6 inch bore hole, didnt they get a layer of concrete over the wood. They dig the same spot, see the bore hole, but only get wood. Do I remember this right?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread