jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
??? Please do not just say rubbish. The Laginas and there guests are doing enough of that..:laughing7:

To claim that this legend has been 100% disporven is just not true. Maybe in your mind this is the case. There was even evidence offered last series that treasure was removed from the pit.

has this supposed Treasure been shown and professionally proven to have come from the pit ?

I don't remember evidence offered, Other then old ladies saying something about their Fathers
Presenting them with Small treasure Chests (Jewelry Boxes ?) :laughing7: and claiming they came from the Pit, (Not Taiwan, by way of the 5 & 10) :laughing9:
Anyway , My memory from TV shows especially isn't that sharp. But I haven't heard of anything
professionally Documented as to not have been Dropped by a Digger, planted or imagined

Last edited:

Roadhse2

Mar 15, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The small cross they presented as coming from the island didn't look 'right' to me for the time period being claimed. The eyelet for a chain or thong is different than anything I could find in an internet search. More like a (modern) soldered on loop than a punched hole in the base metal and then twisted to the finished position...

So, I don't think it has anything to do with the island at all. The woman may believe it as it was passed down through family, so I won't fault her, but the 'team' should have enough knowledge of antiquities to know it was not as represented..

Last edited:
OP
OP
gazzahk

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
has this supposed Treasure been shown and professionally proven to have come from the pit ?

I don't remember evidence offered, Other then old ladies saying something about their Fathers
Presenting them with Small treasure Chests (Jewelry Boxes ?) :laughing7: and claiming they came from the Pit, (Not Taiwan, by way of the 5 & 10) :laughing9:
Anyway , My memory from TV shows especially isn't that sharp. But I haven't heard of anything
professionally Documented as to not have been Dropped by a Digger, planted or imagined
The cross was reported before the laginas new about it Oak Island Gallery (2013) The author of that report found them credible.

What evidence is there to doubt the oral history passed down through there family. Ms Mc Guniess states the cross is over 600 years old to the author (what reason did she have to lie to him?). What do you want to see. If you simply choose not to believe something that has a credible origin then that is your choice. Your mind is made up.

I personally take this as documented and physical proof that treasure was removed from the pit.

I doubt there is any more treasure there myself. I think that this explains the legend adequately. (The boys found a small amount of treasure. Kept it secret to stop others taking it off them and told people they found nothing. Some others they told or people noticed they suddenly become wealthy and the legend grew from that)...

Having said that the reports of finding chapel vault (as outlined in the book extract in my previous post) have been well documented. Those treasure hunters 'believe ' they found something. The analysis of the 'concrete' suggested it was man made. I personally am far from convinced it was a treasure chest.

However SSW claim that the theory is 100% disproved is just wrong....

It is very likely that treasure was at sometime there. There is a very small possibility that more exists. I would not be spending any of my money looking for it...

Last edited:
OP
OP
gazzahk

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The small cross they presented as coming from the island didn't look 'right' to me for the time period being claimed. The eyelet for a chain or thong is different than anything I could find in an internet search. More like a (modern) soldered on loop than a punched hole in the base metal and then twisted to the finished position...

So, I don't think it has anything to do with the island at all. The woman may believe it as it was passed down through family, so I won't fault her, but the 'team' should have enough knowledge of antiquities to know it was not as represented..
So my friend you are an expert on antique jewelry? From the picture you can make that assessment. The women claimed experts have stated it is around 600 years old. Why do you think they are lying? What proof do you have for this claim?

OP
OP
gazzahk

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its so funny...the brothers brought in one of the most experienced divers in the business. He told them that there was NOTHING in 10x. Yet the brothers do not believe him (at least in the show's script) and want to send other divers into 10x. What a joke!
I agree with you on this. When 10x was dug they did 15 dives into it. Nothing of significance was found then. I cannot see why they think they will find something now. How much exploring of a small underground closed area can one do before they realize it is natural and not connected to anything else man made.

Roadhse2

Mar 15, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone can compare a picture to known methods and styles of certain time periods...but beyond that...it is simply 'my' assessment and not one I have to justify to anyone...

You use as proof that "Ms Mc Guniess states the cross is over 600 years old to the author (what reason did she have to lie to him?)." Ok...so where is her documented proof from an antiquities expert that has certified this cross as to it's age? Not the local pawn shop guy either, an expert in the field...

Just saying it, doesn't make it so...

Raparee

Feb 18, 2016
Nova Scotia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So my friend you are an expert on antique jewelry? From the picture you can make that assessment. The women claimed experts have stated it is around 600 years old. Why do you think they are lying? What proof do you have for this claim?

She is claiming that the jewelry was 600 years old. The onus is on her to provide supporting evidence. She hasn't done so, and neither has anyone else. The 'report' you linked to says nothing of who appraised the cross, or how. Was it an expert in 1400's jewelry, or was it Chumlee? She may have been told that it was 600+ years old, but that doesn't make it so. Call me cynical, but I'm not inclined to take someone at their word in matters like this.

sasquash

Nov 2, 2016
North of Quebec
Detector(s) used
Computers
Primary Interest:
Other
Just saw episode 5 (yes I'm from Canada) and it's the best from the season.
I just hope the narrator will be back in season 5 !
(Supposed to be a 5 parts series).

Oak Island Gallery

2014 The Curse of Oak Island released in January to the public from Prometheus Entertainment as a five part series

Last edited:

HunterNC

Greenie
Dec 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does this forum have an ignore feature? Would sure cut down in reading time.

OP
OP
gazzahk

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ms Mc Guniess states the cross is over 600 years old to the author.. Ok...so where is her documented proof from an antiquities expert that has certified this cross as to it's age? ...
This is what I find the most surprising about the brothers quest. They ran of to have that obvious fake roman sword tested.. But did not even ask the decedents for any evidence of the age of the cross. I believe this is because they do not wish the story to be true... If the Mc Guniess story is true then everything else they are doing is a waste of time and money. The treasure that was there left the first day the pit was discovered....

The theory put forward on the final episode of last season by the voice over that a few small chests were left to stop people digging and further is pretty silly I would think.

I doubt if we will ever get any proof of the age of the cross, the family are not involved with making the show and have no reason to offer proof of there family history. They were only answering questions when approached and asked.

Even if it could be accurately established that the cross was 600 years old there is no way to establish it was taken from the pit.

As I said earlier I find the descendants story credible and do not see an obvious reason for them lying. I believe 'they' believe it to be true. Still I accept that does not make it so. Maybe some great grandfather started the family legend as a way to make himself and his descendants appear more important. I guess we will never know.

However to dismiss it as totally implausible is in my view not justified. Much of our records of early history is based on the recording of family passed down oral history.

Even if you choose not to believe her i do not think you can simply dismiss her story as a lie.

So back to what started this conversation on this topic that SSW claimed that the legend has 100% been proven false. This is not true...

Roadhse2

Mar 15, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As i already posted...I will not find fault with her if it is not what it is proclaimed to be, she is going on that family history with no reason to not believe it...But back to my earlier statement, the cross does not match in the way it is made with any reference I have been able to find for the time period. And why an expert should access it.

It could also be that because this family is connected with the original searchers, that at some point one of the earlier family members bought a cross, used it as proof of a find, just to get people to quit asking them where the treasure was..OR to use this cross to embellish a story for their own means...

The brothers didn't follow thru, on the show, because they already know...and as long as 'they' didn't claim it true, they were not lying, just allowing her to tell her story.

Last edited:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with you on this. When 10x was dug they did 15 dives into it. Nothing of significance was found then. I cannot see why they think they will find something now. How much exploring of a small underground closed area can one do before they realize it is natural and not connected to anything else man made.

I wonder if they Bought & Dropped something valuable into the Hole during the Off season.
And now, Because they can't tell their Divers they did this.
They just keep sending divers .Etc. down. Hoping one of them will stumble over it in he Floor mud :laughing7:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is what I find the most surprising about the brothers quest. They ran of to have that obvious fake roman sword tested.. But did not even ask the decedents for any evidence of the age of the cross. I believe this is because they do not wish the story to be true... If the Mc Guniess story is true then everything else they are doing is a waste of time and money. The treasure that was there left the first day the pit was discovered....

The theory put forward on the final episode of last season by the voice over that a few small chests were left to stop people digging and further is pretty silly I would think.

I doubt if we will ever get any proof of the age of the cross, the family are not involved with making the show and have no reason to offer proof of there family history. They were only answering questions when approached and asked.

Even if it could be accurately established that the cross was 600 years old there is no way to establish it was taken from the pit.

As I said earlier I find the descendants story credible and do not see an obvious reason for them lying. I believe 'they' believe it to be true. Still I accept that does not make it so. Maybe some great grandfather started the family legend as a way to make himself and his descendants appear more important. I guess we will never know.

However to dismiss it as totally implausible is in my view not justified. Much of our records of early history is based on the recording of family passed down oral history.

Even if you choose not to believe her i do not think you can simply dismiss her story as a lie.

So back to what started this conversation on this topic that SSW claimed that the legend has 100% been proven false. This is not true...

of Course it is almost , if not completely impossible to prove a Negative as far as treasure is concerned.
But Playing the odds at this point suggest to me Proving a Positive on the cross has the same odds here. No forensics I'm imagining can prove anything supposedly found on the Island still has original Island "Cooties" (For lack of a better word.) on it.
and she's not going to hand it over for tests . I'm sure at this point in her life,
she doesn't want to risk having her belief system shocked.
and most people wouldn't want to straighten her out anyway.

Still, I'd like the Know the total amount of Money expended from day one on searching the pits.
and a Legit estimate on the Minimum amount of Time, Food and Resources
it may have taken to Build a Pit over 100 Feet deep ,
With Booby-Traps on a Small Island 500 years ago

Last edited:
OP
OP
gazzahk

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wonder if they Bought & Dropped something valuable into the Hole during the Off season.
And now, Because they can't tell their Divers they did this.
They just keep sending divers .Etc. down. Hoping one of them will stumble over it in he Floor mud :laughing7:
Ha ha... Entirely possible I would think. It is so frustrating that they are trying to stretch the limited actual information they have into 5 seasons when it would of made a great 5 episode mini series...

They are to some degree killing the legend by boring us all to death with non interesting fill...:sleepy2:

OP
OP
gazzahk

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd like the Know the total amount of Money expended from day one on searching the pits.
Adjusted for inflation.. I would go with 'sh*t loads'....

Not to mention the wasted lives of those who have been searching for it...

OP
OP
gazzahk

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Proving a Positive has the same odds here...
I think the only 'proof' that could be found is if they can find Chappels vault and date it before the first excavations... This would at least prove someone dug that deep before the treasure hunters showed up.

I do believe that it is likely Chapels lot found something but I would place my bet on it being left there by someone else looking for the treasure combined with wishful thinking. Take the extract from the book I posted earlier. They were unable to recover any thing from inside where the believe the vault to be. Someone may of just dropped something down the hole they were drilling or they crashed into someone else's broken drill casing (The iron barrier).

Still this is really the only actual 'alleged' evidence that supports a previous dig at those levels. Short of finding this I can't see them being able to establish much.

This is why I think if there was ever a dig this deep (which I do not believe there was - but for the sake of speculation) then I think Fred Nolan theory the most plausible. ie British engineers/soldiers could of done it and the reason for making it so deep and complicated was to stop any of them without a large team of engineers coming back and stealing the loot. However if this scenario was true I imagine they would of at some point come back and got there treasure. Leaving it there forever would make no sense...

Last edited:

Singlestack Wonder

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the only 'proof' that could be found is if they can find Chappels vault and date it before the first excavations... This would at least prove someone dug that deep before the treasure hunters showed up.

I do believe that it is likely Chapels lot found something but I would place my bet on it being left there by someone else looking for the treasure combined with wishful thinking. Take the extract from the book I posted earlier. They were unable to recover any thing from inside where the believe the vault to be. Someone may of just dropped something down the hole they were drilling or they crashed into someone else's broken drill casing (The iron barrier).

Still this is really the only actual 'alleged' evidence that supports a previous dig at those levels. Short of finding this I can't see them being able to establish much.

This is why I think if there was ever a dig this deep (which I do not believe there was - but for the sake of speculation) then I think Fred Nolan theory the most plausible. ie British engineers/soldiers could of done it and the reason for making it so deep and complicated was to stop any of them without a large team of engineers coming back and stealing the loot. However if this scenario was true I imagine they would of at some point come back and got there treasure. Leaving it there forever would make no sense...

Keep it up! At this rate you will soon get to where most are...while interesting, the claims that oak island had a treasure, elaborate flood tunnels, traps, Templar holdings, etc. are all tall tales.

n2mini

Jan 7, 2015
Triad NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Marty did say on the show that he would like to have the cross date tested. Granted they didn't say they were going to but that would be up to the family. The Restalls did find the inlets to what is believed to be the flood tunnels. Not sure how far they tried to follow them back and apparently not far enough to prove if they were flood tunnels or used to help in making salt etc. They are/were there just no ones knows for sure what they were used for.. They also found the coffer damn in the ocean, again that's a fact, just no way to know why it was there actually.

Dec 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you wish to follow a real treasure story you will need to look at other topics listed in the "Treasure Legends" area as all of those have not yet been 100% disproven like the oak island hoax has...

Yet, your TreasureNet Profile says 98 out of 99 of your recent posts have been on threads about Oak Island. The 99th was to mockingly suggest someone had found the Oak Island treasure. By definition of the word, "interest" the Oak Island story holds your interest. If it didn't, you would take your interests elsewhere. I asked word for word, "Can you please lead me in the direction of a BETTER treasure tale than this one?" I can see how you may have misinterpreted the question. I'll try again. Can you please lead me in the direction of a MORE INTERESTING treasure tale than this one? For someone so sure nothing is down there, you sure seem interested to know for sure.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread