Season 4

Raparee

Feb 18, 2016
Nova Scotia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
People on this forum have mentioned using the late 1890's photo to dig exactly at the same spot that Chappel supposedly found the concrete layered wooden vault at approximately a 140 ft depth. However, someone else mentioned that this vault could be something left over from a previous excavation from the 1860's. I did some research on line but couldn't find any reference to another company digging down to that depth, let alone constructing a horizontal wooden shaft. Is there a more detailed account of what was actually performed on the island between 1860 and early 1890's?

Try this: http://www.fortunearchive.com/Miscellaneous/Oak Island Treasure.pdf

skybolt

Dec 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks for the link. Based on the 1897 excavation it appears that the supposed Chappel Vault was found at a 155 ft depth. However, it's unclear how deep some of the previous excavations went. Most of the information provided in the article seems to hint at around 120 to 125 ft maximum depth. It doesn't appear that anyone was able to construct a horizontal shaft that deep until at least the 1930's (not including the bore holes of course). Perhaps the 1860's excavations were deeper than reported or the shafts collapsed down 30 ft or so when the pit collapsed. The other mystery is this Anthony Vaughn Character. Supposedly he was a boy in 1795 when the money pit was first discovered, but according to records he was in his late 30's or 40's. Then he's supposedly back with the Truro Company in 1849. Of course, since all these dates preceded the first article written in I believe the 1850's, is it possible the writer got his names and stories mixed up? Everything seems jumbled together, especially since the supposed discovery and first major excavation were performed 50 years before anything was written on the subject.

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with members who agree the show about our past president is to fill empty time, while they waiting for new parts. I rather watch my cat, Tippy taking naps then watch this worthless show. I doubt they will find any treasures this year, or next year, or my best bit, never. Good hunting and good luck.

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Close But No Cigar!

Close But No Cigar.jpg

Season 3 Episode 7 Nolan's theory was the British from the American Revolution.

Season 4 Episode 8 they infer it could be the British from the Sacking of Havana Cuba.

Season 4 Episode 11 they infer that the Freemasons are involved.

Why Not just follow My Script and dig the 20 Foot Hole and Prove My Theory Once and For All?

michelangelo-hands 2.jpg

Last edited:

etex

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2013
Longview, Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know now what the treasure is that's buried on Oak Island. The chicken bone they found gave it away. It's Colonel Sanders secret recipe at the bottom of 10X.

OP
OP
gazzahk

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gazzahk...I doubt they can get a permit anymore to dig like Dunfield did back then...just look at the damage his dig caused..
That is the joke isn't it.. The damage to the natural environment has already been done (The pics show that Dunfeild did not leave much in the way of the natural environment in Smiths cove).. They cannot hurt it any more as for all intensive purposes they are just digging on a fairly modern constriction site. Stupid government laws...

They just seem to assume that anyone watching there show treats it as the only source of history about OI.

If those pics are not Dunfeild finding evidence of the 'alleged' finger drains what are they?

OP
OP
gazzahk

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This pic shows that Dunfeild coffer dam is so much larger then the one they tried to make this episode.

Oak Island - Dam.jpg

0121stockpicker

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2012
MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have to say I sure hope these guys are not spending their own money on this crap. They would find a lot more gold etc just MDing an average beach.

Maybe in the end they can partner with Disney and open up oak island land. I could see a "Templars of the Caribbean" ride, and a Indiana jones inspired rides.

Roadhse2

Mar 15, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe a ride "To the bottom of 10x"....bring your own wetsuit...instead of a height gauge to see if you are tall enough to ride, they have a width gauge to see if you'll fit in the 27" hole...

As many times as people have already gone down it, may as well put in a permanent lift system.

OP
OP
gazzahk

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to say I sure hope these guys are not spending their own money on this crap. They would find a lot more gold etc just MDing an average beach.

Maybe in the end they can partner with Disney and open up oak island land. I could see a "Templars of the Caribbean" ride, and a Indiana jones inspired rides.
Yep... But who would want to spend their holidays on Oak Island. It is pretty obvious Marty has had enough of it. He is 'allegedly" worth in excess of 100 million. If you were that rich spending four years summer holidays on Oak Island would be just what a person would want to do.

That last episode you could almost see Marty's son rolling his eyes when his "crazy uncle" Rick was going on about stuff in the car. Where they drove 700 miles to look at a document because they had not heard of a scanner and the internet.....

OP
OP
gazzahk

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe a ride "To the bottom of 10x"....bring your own wetsuit...instead of a height gauge to see if you are tall enough to ride, they have a width gauge to see if you'll fit in the 27" hole...

As many times as people have already gone down it, may as well put in a permanent lift system.
he he... Have those tester seats like they have at movie world for the roller coaster...

Last edited:

skybolt

Dec 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only 3 episodes to go

Hyde Park & Seek
One Of Seven
Of Sticks And Stones

What could it be ?

Not feeling too confident that anything will be found with the "Of Sticks and Stones" title, especially when compared to the previous season finale titles ("The Find", "The Big Reveal", "Secrets and Revelations).

bjw

Feb 2, 2006
Fleetwood, PA
Detector(s) used
X5 Tesoro DFX
Chicken bones and pointless info on FDR. That's how you find treasure! I will credit the show on much ado about nothing!
Bruce

HenryWaltonJonesJr

Sep 2, 2013
Downtown Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, AT Pro, Compadre, SeaHunter II, AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sticks and Stones, sounds like its falling apart and the brothers are resorting to name calling.

I had much higher hopes, but this season has been a bust so far.

0121stockpicker

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2012
MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would bet that one of the folks here on TH has a better chance of finding treasure than the OI people.

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
stockpicker,

It's been a long time glad to see you back on board....

I agree with you insofar as the above comments go....lol.

Regards + HH

Bill

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP Déus & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This pic shows that Dunfeild coffer dam is so much larger then the one they tried to make this episode.

View attachment 1406809

That is huge and you can still kind of see the remains when they have aerial shots. Dunfield raped and plundered that island and spit on it when he left... leaving it in shambles. Is half of it really worth 7 million? If Dunfield had some of todays gear the island would not be there anymore.

That last episode you could almost see Marty's son rolling his eyes when his "crazy uncle" Rick was going on about stuff in the car. Where they drove 700 miles to look at a document because they had not heard of a scanner and the internet.....

I was laughing too as Alex was like do we really have to do this? FDR didn't have a scanner or internet so they did it old school!!! LOL:laughing7: :dontknow:

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP Déus & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Saw the extended "extra" clip before Alone last night.

NEW COFFER DAM! This one looks better and didn't explode when installed. Finding some sort of Human activity underground and they have an archeologist on site! Rick doesn't know how to use a backhoe for S#%&. My Grandma could do better. They are working Jack like a dog! Isn't Henski like 70 - 80 years old? They got him shoveling like a laborer on the chain gang. What up with that?

SITE FOR NEW DIG IN MP AREA - It appears they have done some research and pinpointed the "area" the gold chain was found and that is where hole #3 will be drilled. I wonder how far it will be from hole 1 & 2. Those were not too far apart.

Now we have to wait 4 days for all this excitement to reveal what we have been on the edge of our seat for 4 years!

OP
OP
gazzahk

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The other mystery is this Anthony Vaughn Character. Supposedly he was a boy in 1795 when the money pit was first discovered, but according to records he was in his late 30's or 40's. Then he's supposedly back with the Truro Company in 1849. Of course, since all these dates preceded the first article written in I believe the 1850's, is it possible the writer got his names and stories mixed up? Everything seems jumbled together, especially since the supposed discovery and first major excavation were performed 50 years before anything was written on the subject.
I now think I know the reason for this confusion. Just finished reading Joy Steeles book on Oak Island there are two Anthony Vaughn the father and son both had the same name so I imagine this is people mixing the two of them up as just the single person

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread