Season 5

Simon1

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
Tonight should be interesting. They, ( the metal detecting expert Gary ), and Rick find a cross which they say may change history. Where have we heard that before ?
I found this meme done by someone else named loowho2 and it was to funny to resist.
Oak Island byloowho2.jpg

Singlestack Wonder

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tonight should be interesting. They, ( the metal detecting expert Gary ), and Rick find a cross which they say may change history. Where have we heard that before ?
I found this meme done by someone else named loowho2 and it was to funny to resist.
View attachment 1537610

So yet again they find a common object dropped by one of the 1000’s who have walked on oak island over the years. They continue to fill time with fluff in order to fill out the final episodes...

Simon1

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, tonight was better than last week for sure. Would have thought they would have rushed off to have the age determined but after the initial excitement they seem to go back to the same old routine ?

MikeN

Feb 22, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, tonight was better than last week for sure. Would have thought they would have rushed off to have the age determined but after the initial excitement they seem to go back to the same old routine ?

I agree - it was interesting to see the digging process. From a quick Google search, it seems that lead artifacts can be accurately dated. Otherwise we would certainly hear that the top theory would be bored soldiers creating artwork from lead instead of musket balls as they passed the hours on watch.

Simon1

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
It was interesting on how much their artifact looked almost exactly like the picture of the carving on the wall in France ? Getting that dated may peak my interest on this subject that , so far, has been pretty boring and uneventful.

Singlestack Wonder

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Although some earlier episodes came close, last night’s episode finally “jumped the shark”. Last week they went on yet another meaningless trip to a castle to generate more fluff to fill air time. This week the “expert” metal detector guy and Rick decide to walk on the beach and “find” a lead cross that “matches” a carving found at the castle last week. To top it off, the narrator states that the cross was found in the area where the oak island team found “French storm drains”. Of course no one including Rick and Marty’s team have ever actually found any storm drains, especially flood tunnels that lead to the imaginary money pit, even after hundreds of years of digging.

The cross they planted was reminiscent of the time Rick pointed to the beach from a far distance and said, “what’s that” and walked to the area and found a “special” rock that was obviously planted as well.

Last edited:

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP DĂ©us & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
SW - Im starting to think you dont believe the OI story. :icon_scratch: LOL :tongue3:
This season has been pretty poor... worst yet.
I did learn for the 100th time that Chapel found a vault at 150 with parchment and gold....
How did he know it was a vault? Because saying that brought in money to keep looking.
Good goodies last night. An old spike with concrete on it! More bones, a Templar lead cross... These items pretty much prove the theory. What theory? ALL of them! LOL
Its tough to make it through a whole episode without falling asleep.

Danielwhite0

Jan 17, 2018
Maine
Detector(s) used
none
Primary Interest:
Other
I was thinking... why do the Lagina's not try using ground penetrating radar deep within the Chappell shaft? They could rig the GPR vertically and scan the walls. This way they could see quite a ways into the earth and possibly find the Chappell Vault? It would be an easy and inexpensive method of searching. Any thoughts?

n2mini

Jan 7, 2015
Triad NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IF they had not gone to Paris and seen the carvings they would not have recognized the cross they found to be a match. They go to places like that as research in hopes of being able to tie "something" together and this time they kinda did. Sure finding that cross doesn't actually mean anything but they have seen it before first hand in the carvings. They don't have to take anyone else word for it they SAW it, which I'm sure makes them feel good. They can hardly do any digging in the cove or where the drains supposedly are due to permit requirements. Plus they don't really need too, they are pretty well documented as being there. What's up for debate is what they were used for....

mcb66

Mar 17, 2009
Wouldn't the cross have turned white by now? Old lead does around here. Maybe salt water makes a difference?

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LORDY---- I must have 5 pounds of lead from the 13TH century.

honey, I got you a lead cross for your birthday, and I used a square nail to put a hole in it

GAWWY be scamperin' like a little girl-----

another "SPOICK" with CONCRETE--- that gotta be Viking treasure, and a pottery fleck from Bed, Bath & Beyond

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I bet the lead you have is billions of years old.

It's an element, and we just occasionally repurpose and reshape it.

skybolt

Dec 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Although some earlier episodes came close, last night’s episode finally “jumped the shark”. Last week they went on yet another meaningless trip to a castle to generate more fluff to fill air time. This week the “expert” metal detector guy and Rick decide to walk on the beach and “find” a lead cross that “matches” a carving found at the castle last week. To top it off, the narrator states that the cross was found in the area where the oak island team found “French storm drains”. Of course no one including Rick and Marty’s team have ever actually found any storm drains, especially flood tunnels that lead to the imaginary money pit, even after hundreds of years of digging.

The cross they planted was reminiscent of the time Rick pointed to the beach from a far distance and said, “what’s that” and walked to the area and found a “special” rock that was obviously planted as well.

I think that's the problem I have with this show. Can I believe what I'm seeing or have certain items been planted by the show runners to make for better TV? For instance, I'm sure that the area near Smith's Cove has been metal detected many times in the past, but low and behold, a large old lead cross is found 10 inches deep in the ground to create a link with the Templars.

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bet that bottle cap was from a pirate ship :skullflag:-----

never saw anyone strap into the arm cuff ???---- unless youze a twit :dontknow: who brings a nerd to dig yer holes :laughing9:

makin" Minelab look STOOPID havin' GAWWY :sad11: promote the product--- HINT--- there are numbers that tell ya what the target should be :tard:

LET'S GO TO THE WAR ROOM :tongue3:

Keith Jackson

Aug 12, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm sure that the area near Smith's Cove has been metal detected many times in the past, but low and behold, a large old lead cross is found 10 inches deep in the ground to create a link with the Templars.

Well, without having watched the show yet, (the joys of DVR), is it possible that this beach was one of the areas that experienced a lot of erosion over the winter?

Singlestack Wonder

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IF they had not gone to Paris and seen the carvings they would not have recognized the cross they found to be a match. They go to places like that as research in hopes of being able to tie "something" together and this time they kinda did. Sure finding that cross doesn't actually mean anything but they have seen it before first hand in the carvings. They don't have to take anyone else word for it they SAW it, which I'm sure makes them feel good. They can hardly do any digging in the cove or where the drains supposedly are due to permit requirements. Plus they don't really need too, they are pretty well documented as being there. What's up for debate is what they were used for....

No evidence of flood tunnels has ever been found. That’s a fact. The entire area has been dug deep over a very large area. Photos of this exist on the net. Evidence of salt pits and other common structures have been found in the area which the finding of which was twisted into tales of flood tunnels to the money pit.

MikeN

Feb 22, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Evidence of salt pits and other common structures have been found in the area which the finding of which was twisted into tales of flood tunnels to the money pit.

I'll have to admit that the ship's log has the first explanation for something as strange as a deep burial. However I think even the ship's log might have been fabricated; what possible reason is there to bury something at 60+ feet when it becomes invisible at 3 feet after the ground cover is fully restored? And 10 feet at most if you want to avoid an accidental random dig-up.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread