Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Let's Do A "Metal Detector Reunion"!

What appears needed...Is a proper..."Metal Detecting Survey"...Of the "Entire Oak Island"!

I am willing to "Fund and Arrange"...a gathering of Interested Metal Detectors...to..."Survey The Entire Island"!

Metal Detectoing.jpg
This would be for the up coming "Fall Equinox 2018"!

Saturday...September 21 and "Equinox September 22" with closing date September 23, 2018.

It would require your own tenting and transportation to the Island.

Food and Drinks (Crown) would be provided.

barbeque-8.jpg

Crown Royal.png
Let me know your interest, so we may proceed with this!

Regards,
Robot

Last edited:

Simon1

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
I am skeptical on the ship's log. Their "expert" found it but never announced when the log was written, what ship this log was for, or who wrote this log. Yes, it seems to fit Oak Island, but who knows where else it fits ? May not even be for North America ? But, last nights episode has given me the courage to watch it next Tuesday.

burlbark

Mar 5, 2011
Wouldn't the cross have turned white by now? Old lead does around here. Maybe salt water makes a difference?
It could behave differently, but all the long term ocean lead here turns a pale shade of lead oxide.... That being said, I seriously doubt that it would hold its shape for any length of time being battered around in the ocean. In fact it makes no sense at all and anyone that beach hunts would think this was a fairly recent drop.

n2mini

Jan 7, 2015
Triad NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a coincidence,every time Gary finds something with his metal detector,the cameras happen to be filming.
Give me a break.
Here's how show business works.
Gary detects for hours on end and once He finds something interesting He reburies it and marks the spot
For the cameras and then He reenacts the scene.

That is probably exactly how it works. It is a TV show after all. Ya'll already B*&^% and moan about the "fluff" they do show, do you really want to watch 42 minutes of them metal detecting every week whether they find anything or not???

n2mini

Jan 7, 2015
Triad NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No evidence of flood tunnels has ever been found. That’s a fact. The entire area has been dug deep over a very large area. Photos of this exist on the net. Evidence of salt pits and other common structures have been found in the area which the finding of which was twisted into tales of flood tunnels to the money pit.

I can't recall right off hand but believe there have been atleast 2 search groups to find the finger drains and or parts of them. The Restalls were one of them I believe. No one has traced them back to see where they actually go or if they just end and were actually used for gathering salt from the ocean to pack fish with as some believe...

gr88bd

Dec 11, 2017
Grove City, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250, Divining Rods, brass pendulum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't recall right off hand but believe there have been atleast 2 search groups to find the finger drains and or parts of them. The Restalls were one of them I believe. No one has traced them back to see where they actually go or if they just end and were actually used for gathering salt from the ocean to pack fish with as some believe...
the other searcher was Dunfield/Blankenship in the late 60's They built a cofferdam, dug up the beach to 11' below sea level and had it surveyed and photographed .....

b3y0nd3r

Aug 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 nokta impact Equinox 800
The box drains, when they were discovered were removed and destroyed with explosives. If the really wanted to find the remnants of them, they would need to dig inland probably 30-60 and about 30-50 feet down.

I caught myself rolling my eyes when the term "metal detecting expert" was mentioned. It was automatic.

Yea that lead cross would have been long gone by now but, maybe someone dumped soil there and that's where the cross came from.

lookingharder

Feb 27, 2015
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master. Garrett AT Gold, Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you watch enough of these type shows, Tom Massie's Gold Fever, Gold Rush, Diggers, fishing shows, hunting shows, they all shoot hundreds of hours of video just to make a descent show. I watched a behind the scenes of Gold Rush, The producer said they shoot all week and sometimes two, 12 hour days just to make a single hour long show. I too am one of those people who are talking to the TV " why don't you search the REST of the beach" until I realize Gary probably already did several times. My take on all these shows is, It's entertainment. some fact a lot of fiction and to top it off, look on the bright side, They all arn't sleeping together like every other show on TV

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My take on all these shows is, It's entertainment. some fact a lot of fiction and to top it off, look on the bright side, They all arn't sleeping together like every other show on TV

Yeah, but it's on the History Channel. Someone might mistakenly think it was non-fiction programming or educational.

OP
OP
gazzahk

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely a much more interesting episode. They actually did something.. To me it seemed that the wood never stopped coming up. They were saying they believed the wood would stop and they would hit virgin dirt before vault. If it was just wood all the way then they must still be in the old shaft so the chances of what they think they have found being previously undiscovered seem pretty slim.

I am still mystified d why they seem to have left such a large area undrilled with their pattern drilling before digging there big hole.

I do not think it is surprising that they are finding more bone. My money is on Maynard Kaiser, died March 26 1897 after falling down the pit. It appears his body was never recovered.

The cross out of smiths cove. The fact that Dunfeild dug this completely up and then bulldozed it all back as shown in the below photo makes it highly unlikely that it was just dropped there back in the 12-16 Centaury.

scaerial-1024x747.jpg

As for looking like the carved image... Well it does look like a cross and the image was a cross... They keep clutching at straws to support the Templar theory.

The ships log was interesting but as with the other theories. If the dudes buried a treasure there then they would of come back and recovered it. They would not of left it there.

At least I am now looking forward to the next episode I hope they have finished with all the uninteresting fill.

OP
OP
gazzahk

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a coincidence,every time Gary finds something with his metal detector,the cameras happen to be filming.
Give me a break.
Here's how show business works.
Gary detects for hours on end and once He finds something interesting He reburies it and marks the spot
For the cameras and then He reenacts the scene.
Definitely something like this. I do not believe Rick is following Gary around so he can dig his holes for him. It is also spliced together over a long period. ie They say why the hole is being dug they go metal detecting. But when digging the hole Marty was there. But when they found the cross Marty was not on island but back in his office on the phone conversation.

It also must of been found before the laws changed and they needed the archeologist with them for any dig.

MikeN

Feb 22, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely a much more interesting episode. They actually did something.. To me it seemed that the wood never stopped coming up. They were saying they believed the wood would stop and they would hit virgin dirt before vault. If it was just wood all the way then they must still be in the old shaft so the chances of what they think they have found being previously undiscovered seem pretty slim.

All that wood makes it even more likely that the metal anomaly detected at that depth was just a piece of previous searcher equipment. But something could be still interesting down below.

OP
OP
gazzahk

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree - it was interesting to see the digging process. From a quick Google search, it seems that lead artifacts can be accurately dated. Otherwise we would certainly hear that the top theory would be bored soldiers creating artwork from lead instead of musket balls as they passed the hours on watch.
My first thought was it looked like it was a sinker for fishing with the hole in the top. It could of easily been a lead weight for a net, fishing line or something (or at least part of some type of weight system) and only coincidently looks like a cross in that whatever else was attached to it has disappeared over time.. I think they are reading way to much significance into it myself.

MikeN

Feb 22, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first thought was it looked like it was a sinker for fishing with the hole in the top. It could of easily been a lead weight for a net, fishing line or something (or at least part of some type of weight system)

It could be some type of weight, but that design would tend to tangle in fishing gear with the outer arms. Then again, it could be a primitive Gumby
Gumby.jpg

gr88bd

Dec 11, 2017
Grove City, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250, Divining Rods, brass pendulum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW congratulations captain obvious for uncovering the deeply hidden mysteries of entertainment production. :hello2::icon_thumleft::notworthy:

Personally when I watch that scene I see a genuine excitement in both of them. These guys are treasure hunters, not professional actors with years of training and experience. Of course the crew is taping every second of the beach search! They want to catch that first genuine reaction to any find.
I think youre Gary Drayton incognito... you're just to full of optimism .. LOL

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread