SEASON 8

MikeN

Feb 22, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This week's episode for Ground Hog's Day was a review (not really) :-)

Actually it was a drilling down episode with Dave Blankenship's story. Was a decent interview. One of Dave's wishes would be to be able to take 10X down 'all they way' and find whatever is there. I'm getting fuzzy about what they have explored, but didn't they send a diver down 10X and get all the way in to explore the chamber?

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Actually it was a drilling down episode with Dave Blankenship's story. Was a decent interview. One of Dave's wishes would be to be able to take 10X down 'all they way' and find whatever is there. I'm getting fuzzy about what they have explored, but didn't they send a diver down 10X and get all the way in to explore the chamber?
Thanks Mike.. So they are now down to interviewing their own cast members about holes dug in the past that found nothing.. It not like they have not got enough of their own holes that have found nothing...

10x was always strange to me. Why did Dan think that he had a better chance of finding the money pit by digging a massive hole no where near the pit on the basis of using dowsing. The effort to dig a 200 ft hole (that is about the size of a 20 story building - Take a look at the 20th floor of a building and you get some idea of how deep a hole Dan dug) straight down by hand because a piece of stick/metal rod seemed to dip at that point is incredible..

The only thing it showed was those underwater caves/cavities are all over the area.

That hole has been dived so many times all they ever found was a 'chicken bone'.... There was never any evidence that anything about that cavity was man made.

Does this mean they have run out of loonies to share new fictional stories?

What started of as an interesting documentary/treasure hunt has become a farce...

DaveVanP

Oct 5, 2018
Coffeyville, KS
Detector(s) used
Minelab XTerra 705
Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I believe I have solved the mystery of the rocks forming a roadway across the swamp.

People had to move items from one side of the swamp to the other. They quickly found that when attempting to cross they sank and got stuck in the mud.

They devised a solution involving piling up rocks to create a path across the swamp that would allow them to cross without sinking into the muck.

I can’t be absolutely be sure if the rocks used were templar or not....

Perhaps an "expert" in cobble-road construction will come forward and examine the placement of the stones, and determine that they are NOT "just" there to provide an easy transit of the swamp, but rather they have been stacked in the distinctive "treasure trail pattern" of the 14th Century, that was ONLY ever used to support ox-drawn cart/wagons laden with gold, religious artifacts and Shakespearean manuscripts. I'm sure the Laginas would devote an entire episode, as well as a re-edited version for "Digging Deeper"/"Drilling Down", to enlighten us all on this revolutionary theory.

Singlestack Wonder

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

They did and found NOTHING. Dan Blankenship’s fantastical claims stating 10-x had a body, chest, and a tool at the bottom were proven wrong. Another “secrets of al capone’s vaults” type of moment.

Shortly after that episode Dan admitted there was nothing there.

Yet the hoax continues on the show every week with new quackpot theories with producers hoping viewers will forget previous episodes and continue watching the fictional drama.

Last edited:

MikeN

Feb 22, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They did and found NOTHING. Dan Blankenship’s fantastical claims stating 10-x had a body, chest, and a tool at the bottom were proven wrong. Another “secrets of al capone’s vaults” type of moment.

Don't forget the "clenched human hand" also. I believe that was the dive where the diver was able to confirm the 'chest' was a glob of mud. There was a small passageway off to the side, but there was no reason to risk someone's life exploring it since it pointed away from the believed location of the Chappell Vault.

Singlestack Wonder

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't forget the "clenched human hand" also. I believe that was the dive where the diver was able to confirm the 'chest' was a glob of mud. There was a small passageway off to the side, but there was no reason to risk someone's life exploring it since it pointed away from the believed location of the Chappell Vault.

The passageway was just another natural underground water tunnel....whenever a dig on hoax island hits a naturally occurring formation, it's claimed to be a treasure tunnel.

Also to be clear the chappell vault was a hoax as well...

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
whenever a dig on hoax island hits a naturally occurring formation, it's claimed to be a treasure tunnel....
This seems to be the basis for much of the legend. When you read of some of the early searches reports when they drilled exploration holes they broke through on these natural cavities at around 200ft. They then assumed these were man made tunnels and this fueled the belief of a 'fabulous' treasure hoard buried at 200+ feet... The thinking being why would someone build a tunnel system down there unless they had a very good reason.

Later searchers clearly established that the cavities at this level were a natural phenomenon (Dunfeild did this where he also showed the water in them was not coming from Smith cove by using a chemical analysis of the water found in the pit area) and fliied with sea water thereofre must connect to the ocean. Even the earlier dye experiment by one of the prevoius serchers that showed the dye escaping on the other side of the island was proof of these cavities/caves being extensive and going under much of the island.

Therefore it becomes extremely difficult to see how anyone can believe humans dug to that depth and did not get flooded.

For the 'speculated' flood tunnel to be true would of meant when they built the coffer dam at smith cove the water to these tunnels stopped. If that was the case the cavities could of been pumped dry. As this was not the case then the water had to be coming from the ocean. Any attempt to dig at those depths would of resulted in flooding no mater how long ago it happened.

Therefore what exactly are the Laginas still looking for... It makes no sense.....

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
https://www.tvovermind.com/is-it-time-to-cancel-the-curse-of-oak-island/

No matter how much you love the show, you have to admit that it’s getting a little old waiting for a big discovery that probably wont happen. In fact, during the show’s entire time on the air, there haven’t been any huge discoveries. For that reason alone, there is a strong argument that the show should be canceled. After 8 successful seasons, it’s only a matter of time before people get tired of being strung along.

It seems it nearing the end. This season has been pretty pointless. They have found a dirt mound, an old stone road across swampy ground and nothing else....

Last edited:

MikeN

Feb 22, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spoiler for this week's show:

Another exciting morning begins on Oak Island...A stone road in the middle of the swamp (My question: is it even a road? The stones aren't placed at an even level as a road might be). They did find bits of coal in the road - possibly something on its way to fuel the pine pitch tar pit? Later on they find wood chips, the byproduct of the process of creating a firm base of the swamp by embedding sticks to support the rock road.

Carmen the blacksmith confirms that the "rusty lock" found in the swamp is confirmed to be a double bolt, higher end lock to possibly secure a trunk or chest.

Later they find a "padlock" sort of thing that was probably used to secure the treasure chest. (But why isn't it in the Chappell Vault). Then a small piece of iron that looks like part of a boot spur. Gary says possible bracelet or decorative treasure chest handle.

Like a bolt of lightning --- Gary finds a hand forged RING BOLT in the swamp! A top pocket find! Used to secure a Spanish galleon as it unloaded its treasure.

Money pit - Dr Brousseau has the analysis of the pieces of square nail found at 95 feet in shaft C9, believed to be the Tupper Shaft. The date confirmation means that they are within striking distance of the Chappell Vault! Hope springs eternal! Later they find some stacked timber as more confirmation of the Tupper shaft. it will take just a few more shafts to confirm the orientation of the Tupper shaft, then they will know the location of the money pit for sure.

Lots of period pottery found in the archeological excavation of Samuel Ball's house. I guess it was common to drop pottery and break it when washing dishes?

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Mike... Appreciate your summaries.

So to summarise... they find some more old rusty metal and make assumptions about how that is related to the mythical mother load of treasure that are are sure to find soon... and the reason that all the holes they have dug/drilled have found nothing is because they have been digging in the completely wrong place. Now they have worked out the correct place (which is complete virgin soil dug by no treasure hunter before) the wealth of the Knights Templar will soon be theirs...

They know this because the rusty metal and old wood PROVES that treasure is just one more hole away...

Cannot wait for the next episode...

Once again thanks mike do appreciate on your efforts to keep us no show watchers informed...

Keith Jackson

Aug 12, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
This post has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not the Oak Island treasure is real.

I was shocked yesterday to find out that the term "bobby dazzler" is a real British term and not just a "Gary-ism". An episode of Andy Griffith show was on where a British guy was helping around Andy's house and exclaimed about a cleaned up and sharply dresses Opie, that he a true "bobby dazzler."

Okay, back to the regularly scheduled arguing.

Al D

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2011
Gold canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
DJI Air 2S
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
The show has become painful to watch, I changed the channel last week and again this week. To see Gary get excited about another piece of wood or rusty iron is intolerable.
Marty has now developed that crazy treasure look....the whole show is a joke.

MikeN

Feb 22, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spoiler for this week's show:

In the swamp, they continue uncovering the 'highway to treasure'. Carmen confirms that last week's ring bolt is a wharf pin functioning as a ship moor, made by a very experienced blacksmith. Tempered construction. Likely 1600-mid 1700s. Later they find a flat blue slate rock that looks out of place - possibly shaped with a curved notch on the side. As they track the path uphill and turning, it heads toward the money pit, possibly toward the Chappell Vault.

At the money pit, they continue working shaft CD 8.5 to verify the dimensions of the Tupper shaft and alignment, which will point directly to the money pit. They've been able to identify a wall, a side and a floor. Through detailed diagramming (not with Erin the GIS whiz this time), they're pretty sure the money pit lies to the west of the Tupper shaft, and they've previously examined the area east east of the Tupper shaft. After about 400 holes, they're sure this time they have the right location of the money pit. It is close to shaft C1, where the cameras see gold-colored objects embedded in the walls and the diver dropped the gold coin chipped out of the wall!

At the Samuel Ball house ruins, the question is raised "Why did Samuel Ball need such a large cellar?" I could say that he likely wanted to have food storage below the frost line - to store canned sour kraut or something similar. The top pocket finds at the Samuel Ball site were a fine pocket knife and a musket patent plate.

I enjoy the show more now without the zany theory of the week. But it is a bit telling that when Gary reaches for a top pocket find (the ringbolt), he reaches for his 'bottom pocket' in the rear.

Al D

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2011
Gold canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
DJI Air 2S
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
This is hilarious, 8 seasons of digging and now they finally check the records and discover........ 6EE9291D-D754-419A-86F1-5D757370EB4D.jpeg

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Mike

So one more hole and we will see the hidden wealth of the Knights templars...

I wonder who will take a wager with me that the next hole will just find more old wood rather than GOLD...

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
I have had it, if I wanted to watch archeology I would watch the shows about digging around the Valley of the Kings and the pyramids. I think if we dug around the rivers around Weymouth MA or the Boston waterfront we would find much the same stuff they are finding. Everything is an OMG moment

I have had it with this show, if they actually find something it will be in the news so I will wait for that rather than watch for 3 more years of finding bits of wood.

n2mini

Jan 7, 2015
Triad NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a tv show after all ya'll... What do you expect? If the film crew actually followed any one of those people around all day and filmed everything they did and actually aired it, it would be the most boring show ever. Just a bunch of standing around talking and and or watch a bore machine work.. Sure they film about all day probably but then it is cut to make it watchable and down to a 40 minute show time... Gary probably does much much more metal detecting then we see but that is boring to watch till he finds something. Then they have to play it up to making it exciting to watch. If you notice alot of times the person talking is not actually on camera at that split second as it has been added in later in the cutting room and voice dubbed in, also to make it more exciting to watch. If ya'll don't like the show then yes please don't watch it just so you can come on here and complain about it... Who does that now a days with 100's of TV Channels to choose from...

Al D

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2011
Gold canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
DJI Air 2S
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
If ya'll don't like the show then yes please don't watch it just so you can come on here and complain about it....

If ya’ll don’t like our post......ya’ll don’t need to to read them.......:laughing7:

n2mini

Jan 7, 2015
Triad NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another GREAT post of yours... Thank you for that...
apparently your admitting you just like to complain about the show by making this post.. I wish I didn't have to read you posts most of the time but once every blue moon you actually do say something worth while...

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread