Seated Dime, Attacked by Stray Dogs and a Twisted Ankle!

livetoplay804

Apr 25, 2005
Nixa, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
What a weekend for me. Here in my hometown we found a field that was in the beginning stages of dirt work. So the topsoil was barely shaved off and the grass was pound flat from the big trucks. The location was in between a known CW battle and a CW camp. So Saturday I grabbed the detector and off I went. Within 5 min, I hit a good tone (82 VDI for you Whites users) at 5 inches. Bingo, an 1877 Seated Liberty Dime. I detected for about another 45 min finding some trinkets until my wife called and husband and daddy duties called.

Next day, my dad and I decide to go back and continue. He and I branched off in this 15 acre field to hopefully increase our chances of locating a CW camp area. That?s when I looked up and noticed two dogs heading my direction. Not thinking much of it, I kept on searching. Not too long after, those dogs were charging after me. Now my father was clear across the field facing the other way with his headphones on trying to locate a target on his knees. I am a pretty big boy and can handle myself and I even own a big dog my self (ok, so he's a big, gentle black Labrador retriever). I love dogs but these dogs had no love for me. Where I was detecting, I was trapped, there was a big dirt pile behind me where the earth movers had piled up some fill dirt and I was in a little pocket over some untouched ground. There was only one way out.

I have never been attacked by dogs before. These were not true pit bulls but had pit bull in them. They seemed to have the face of a pit bull but bigger bodies. Anyway, these two dogs had me trapped and were lunging at me. I had my Whites Spectrum strapped in my right arm, my good arm. So like an outlaw in the wild west, I drew my digger out of my pouch as fast as any cowboy ever drew his colt pistol. I was using my arms, voice and detector to try and make myself look bigger than life but this only increased the agitation of the black faced dog. He actually lunged at me with the intensions of striking me. I took my digger (which is bigger than the average digger, its about 16 inches long with a 3/4" round steel handle and the blade or shovel part is made out of 1/8" steel and its about 10" long, more of a weapon) and struck this dog upside the head with my left hand. I am not as coordinated with my left but the contact was fierce. Then the white faced dog attacked. I swung and missed. I began to try and shuffle my way out of this trapped area. As I was making my way out of the area, the dog continued to attack. I remember looking back and seeing my dad still crouched down over a hole (which by the way ended up being a junk target) yelling but him with his head phones on he could not hear me. As the dogs attacked I swung my digger. As I made my way out of the trapped area, I began to try and turn to move farther away and that?s when I hit a hole or indention in the freshly moved dirt and "SNAP" I felt my ankle pop. It immediately caused me to drop to the ground. The white dog attacked at that moment and I was able to deter him with my Spectrum. I looked back at my dad....still digging (I need to teach him how to use that bullseye sometime I guess). It was at this moment I took my detector off my arm and put the digger into my stronger and faster right arm. Just at that exact second, the black one came in for another lunge and I made a very strong contact this time. This seemed to really get the dogs attention but did not stop them from being aggressive. What happened next was weird and I am not sure why I did it but I am glad I did. In the middle of battle it occurred to me to turn off my detector to save the batteries as I had seen they were beginning to get low. So I turned off the machine and immediately the dogs stopped barking and ran off.

My battle was over, the ankle was in serious pain, I was lying in a pile of dirt and dad was still digging! I did finally did get to my feet and began to limp in the direction of my dad and the truck when he finally stood up. He came over and I explained the story to him and he stood there in awe. We could not believe it. We watched to dogs for a moment or two wondering if it was the frequency of the detector causing the dogs to go crazy. I had had my headphones on so it must have been something only dogs can hear.

We stopped detecting that day so I could rest my ankle. All we really found was some odd ball stuff, shotgun casings and the one dime. Dad and I are going to start carrying pepper spray with us.

(Sorry the pic is not that good but I think you can see Ms. Liberty sitting on her perch.) BTW, ankle is getting better!

Attachments

• 101_1776.jpg
    101_1776.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 564
  • 101_1779.jpg
    101_1779.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 555
Upvote 0

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great story!I felt like I was there with you.I know it wasn't funny but it sounded funny as you were telling the part about looking over at your dad and him just a diggin away.Sorry but there were some underlying tones of humor in your story.I'm glad you weren't seriously hurt by them.Hope the ankle gets better soon,congrats on the seated dime!Good luck next weekend and keep us posted. PS-maybe you should change your name to livetoplay 101! ;D

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Geez, L2P. That's a crazy thing that happened to you. I hope your ankle is OK. :-\

Congrats on the dime. :)

Dec 27, 2005
Bay Area Ca.
Detector(s) used
White's M6, SPECTRA V3I.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow, glad you weren't seriously hurt. The story reminds me of a time about 2 yrs ago I was detecting on an old farm and got into an underground bee's nest i dropped the detector and ran, but got stung 6-7 times when i went back to get the detector the bee's were still swarming around the detector coil and when I shut it off all the bee's went back into the nest......At the time I didn't think much about it but now you story makes me wonder if there is something in the frequency that some animals just don't like? anyway keep us posted and be careful when you go back....

A

abrakdabra

That's interesting about the dogs running off as soon as you turned off the detector. And that you thought to turn it off. Maybe somehow you knew what to do and just acted on instict. Something was wrong and setting off the dogs and without thinking you turned off the detector to stop alarming them with its 'strange sounds'. Dogs have higher powered hearing. It sounds like they were freaked out with the strange detector sounds. Not just an intruder, but an intruder giving off 'weird vibes'.

dgaughan

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2004
east northport ny
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 5 Garrett ace 350
maybe those dogs were mad that you found that seated dime they had buried. and thats why they went for you instead of your dad

MDnoob

Apr 23, 2003
Glad you made it out ok.

I am working on an over/under shotgun - Minelab combo. You never know...

Attachments

• defender.jpg
    defender.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 181
  • defender.jpg
    defender.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 184

Charlene

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
SE, Virginia
Detector(s) used
MineLab Excal II & Bounty Hunter Land Star
I'm so glad you're ok, I can't imagine why they would have been so bent on ripping you apart unless it was the tones the detector was emitting. I guess it might have been like a dog whistle, lets hope the MD's don't attract other critters as well. Last site I was at, I was pointing out a doe's prints and a large buck, a couple of hundred yards later I spotted fresh bear tracks. The little light bulb went off in the noodle and I thought gee the only protection in my pocket right now is chap stick.
Pepper spray is a great idea, maybe some firecrackers too.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread