Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I helped my buddy with a job out of state yesterday and we did some research to find some spots to detect on the way back home. I found a couple of spots and he did too. The job took longer than expected so we had very little time to hunt. We decide on one of his spots that had an old school on it at one time. We didn't get to the site until a little after 4 and quickly jumped into hunting. We both mad a line to the back of the property where we though the old coins may be. We both dug wheaties and then he got a Merc. Soon after I got a great signal down about 6". I popped a deep plug, scooped the loose soil out of the bottom of the hole and could see a silver dime in the dirt. I picked it up and was looking at the back and said "Alright got me a Barber" but that quickly changed when I flipped it over and the dirt fell off the front to reveal the awesome site of this Seated Dime! I jumped up and yelled like I was on fire! Micah came over saying "Did you just dug another one!" I couldn't believe it. The last coin I dug on Saturday was an 1890 Seated Dime and two days later my first silver is this Seated! I had set it down in the dirt as I was happy dancing and didn't even check out the date. Micah said "it's 1870's" I was so excited to see 1876, I've been wanting to dig a centennial coin. I couldn't hardly focus after that, but some how dug a Merc. Then Micah yelled to me a said he had something good and it was deep! I ran over there and could see he had a silver quarter sitting there in the dirt. By now its dark and we had our phones light trying to make out what he had, and it was a nice SLQ! I dug one more wheatie and he got another Merc but we had to get home. Needless to say that part of the ride home went by quickly as we talked about this hour and a half hunt that we pullled 5 silver from! We didn't cover an 1/8 of the property so we will be planning a road trip back soon. When we got back to his shop we told our detecting adventure to Micah's brother Thad. As I was showing him the Seated dime I saw a mint mark and said "hey it's from New Orleans" but that changed when I saw two letters instead of one. That's when I excitedly said "I think I got a C.C!" I slowly lifted the dirt with my wet finger to see that Carson City mint mark! My first and has been on my to find list for a while now! It's crazy how exciting this hobby is and how it never gets old. The thrill of the find that keeps you going out for more. HH Dave

1876 CC Seated Dime (1).JPG 1876 CC Seated Dime (3).jpg
1876 CC Seated Dime (2).jpg 1876 CC Seated Dime (4).jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 27
OP
OP
Sooper Dave

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Funny thing is I found a 1794 half reale, but my seated is my favorite and it's 1889!

Yeah it's hard to beat the old US coins. I'm pretty fond of my 1777 one Real tho. They are all so much fun to find!

OP
OP
Sooper Dave

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet seated i havent found a seated coin in five years WTG....:occasion14:

Thanks! It's been a pretty good year for me on Seated. I dug an 1841 Half dime back in the spring and 3 Seated dimes since then. I hope you dig one soon park pirate!
Good luck to ya!

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
She's a beauty.
Congrats.

3RINGER

Feb 1, 2009
Middle TN
Detector(s) used
GPX 4800, Blisstool V6, AT Pro, Makro Racer, CZ3D, XL PRO, Nokta Relic, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WTG on the silver for you and your friend! You said you need to find one but a 1776 and a CC....you got me bud lol

Hope ya get back soon, cant wait to see your future finds

OP
OP
Sooper Dave

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WTG on the silver for you and your friend! You said you need to find one but a 1776 and a CC....you got me bud lol

Hope ya get back soon, cant wait to see your future finds

Hey thanks Tom! I never thought in a million years I would dig a CC silver!

Metal Illness

Jul 1, 2011
Englewood, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is great man. Back to back holes with a Seated, boy that could spoil a guy.......... Still looking for my first one and a cc mint mark. Like you said this hobby is so AWESOME, wondering what will come next! Congrats

hunting deer

Jul 21, 2010
Indiana
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats awesome! You don't see those seated too often. Congrats!

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm still looking, my only seated turned out to be a contemporary counterfeit quarter. Pretty cool, but as far as I'm concerned I'm still looking for a seated anything.

Congrats on you great finds and Merry Christmas.

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sweet dimes. any carson city find is a real prize

OP
OP
Sooper Dave

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats awesome! You don't see those seated too often. Congrats!

Thanks! Yeah I know they don't come around for me that often, so to get 2 on back to back hunts is unreal!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread