Second day out with the dfx....

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used
Actual: Whites MXT All Pro, M6 and Tesoro Sand Shark

Ex: BH Platinum, Tesoro Lobo, ST & Tejon, Teknetics Delta, Whites MXT, V3i, Dual Field, MX5; DP Wader, Garrett At-PRO, Fisher Gold Bug 2, CZ-70Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Well today was my second day out with the dfx and I am starting to learn the detector. It is similar to the v3i just simpler. Probably when I had the v3i it would have been easier if I had gone through the DFX first. I still don't get constant vdi numbers always but since reading the book of Jeff foster it says that you trust 1st the signagraph than the VDI, I am starting to understand how it all works, but it will take some time to get used to.
One thing I noted is that the stock coil is going to stay on the shelf most of the time. First out was with the stock coil and I felt it was a total disaster, today I installed my loved 10x6 eclipse and it was a whole different detector. I hunt in high trash areas and the concentric just doesn't cut as the dd.
Anyhow it is an interesting detector. Not too complicated as it was the v3i... All the settings are manageable, and having dual frequency is not bad especially when I will decide to go hunt to the beach....
Suggestions are appreciated if you have any....
HH.

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well it sounds like you took care of the first problem pretty much everyone *including myself* has encountered... the stock coil :) Its ok for low trash area's but parks and what not... I run the Eclipse myself and that's pretty much that. The signgraph is probably the most usefull display as the VDI can shift dramatically especially over multiple targets. The graph however can interprete multiple targets... just set the recovery rate for it a little slower. Look at the settings for the graph in the HIPro program for a good starting point.
The canned programs are ok. Coins, Coins and Jewelry and HIPro Trash are pretty plug and play though I tweek sensitivity and dc phase and turn on tone ID. I've tweeked and saved these programs so that the tones sound right to me *HIPro Trash has a really guttural tone response*.

Dual Frequency can be tricky and if there is high EMI in the area I've been best served by chosing one freq or the other... same with areas of high trash. If you do use dual freq and your on multiple targets push the trigger forward to all metal and separate them then wiggle your wand in dual freq over the target for best graph and VDI.

Other than that have fun figuring it out. :)

Addendum : Wood chip lots or other areas where the detector wont ground balance *it'll say its going to factory presets* can best be done by just going to all metal and switching into discrimate when you want to check a target. Deep wood chips and some sands will hide stuff from the detector because it does not want to GB and manual GB is kinda time consuming in my opinion.

Last edited:
OP
OP
norbyx

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used

Ex: BH Platinum, Tesoro Lobo, ST & Tejon, Teknetics Delta, Whites MXT, V3i, Dual Field, MX5; DP Wader, Garrett At-PRO, Fisher Gold Bug 2, CZ-70Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
For now I have used it only in dual frequency ... Still have to try it on single. And for now I tested the coins, C&J, and the beach (the one I liked best for now).

OP
OP
norbyx

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Other
Well just came back from my daily hunt. Didn't find much but every time I understand this machine a bit better. I tried the single frequency, first 3khz than 15 and I have to say that it felt compleately different. I had to go back to the dual frequency to start understanding the detector again.... I think I rather stick with the DF untill I get used to the detector, as for now I just have 6-7 hours on it.... One thing that surprised me is that batteries last MUCH more than on the V3i. I still haven't charged them ( I use rechargable AA at 2000mah)...
Well so far so good.

baseballjeff

Greenie
Mar 20, 2014
You got me wondering. Are all stock coils blaw? My MXT all Pro came with a 10" DD, will this too be a not so great coil?

OP
OP
norbyx

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Other
You got me wondering. Are all stock coils blaw? My MXT all Pro came with a 10" DD, will this too be a not so great coil?

Well I can't really tell. I know that the d2 coil should be one of the best all around coils made by whites.
Tomorrow i will finally go pick up the mxt pro with the d2 coil, that I bought some time ago( yes it is not fast to get a detector all the way down to Costa Rica). If lucky I will be able to test the mxt on Thursday morning... Will post how it works with the d2 coil.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread