Second Trip to Virginia - Great Private Land Hunt - Rhode Island x 2

saftgeek

Mar 2, 2007
Jefferson City, MO
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, CTX, GPX 4500, and another Nox 800 for my friends...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was able to join my buddy for a second trip to Virginia to break in my GPX4500 that I bought from Keith at Fort Bedford. After using a CTX for so long and being able to utilize not only tons of discrimination but VDI numbers as well, switching to the GPX is proving to be a bit of a chore. I was determined to figure it out and kept plugging away with the settings he suggested. I dug more rusty metal and tiny pieces of lead than I ever have before. Once I got the hang of it I was digging quite a few bullets. The only thing that was eluding me was buttons... I really wanted to find a Rhode Island coat button to match my cuff button I'd found on my first trip. At noon on the last day I switched back to my CTX and things really fell into place. Not only did I find a Rhode Island coat button, but I managed to find another cuff button to match the one I'd found on my previous trip. I'm still working on my GPX skills and fairly amazed at how deep this thing will go. I just need more time behind the wheel and maybe a bit of coaching. Enjoy the pics and any feedback on the GPX is greatly appreciated...

Saftgeek-

IMG_3279.jpg IMG_3303.jpg IMG_3319.jpg

Upvote 19

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Oh yeah! Killer buttons man!!! I don’t have a GPX but a few friends of mine do, and that machine is incredibly deep. I watched one dig a pewter spoon at 30”. Congrats

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Killer finds, congratulations! :occasion14:

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh yeah! Killer buttons man!!! I don’t have a GPX but a few friends of mine do, and that machine is incredibly deep. I watched one dig a pewter spoon at 30”. Congrats
It's disturbing to think that there's stuff that deep. Obviously, there is. I just prefer not to think about it. :laughing7: makes me want to take a bulldozer with me instead of a shovel. Congrats on a ton of killer stuff saftgeek.

lairmo

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2009
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Fisher M-Scope 1280-X
You need to bring that machine a little bit south of J.C. I'll share it with ya!!...lol Nice finds!!!

lairmo

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2009
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Fisher M-Scope 1280-X
Why didn't you clean up the 5 eagle buttons?

OP
OP
saftgeek

saftgeek

Mar 2, 2007
Jefferson City, MO
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, CTX, GPX 4500, and another Nox 800 for my friends...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm going to clean them - but not the soap and water cleaning. This was right after I got home and wanted to take the pictures while I was sorting out my finds pouch. I'm trying to figure out all the best ways to preserve the patina and keep some detail. Toothpick and soft brush for now...
Saftgeek-

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Rhode Island and New Hampshire buttons are two Yankee buttons I would like to find.

btripp6

Jul 6, 2015
Grovetown, GA
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer AT, XP MI-6 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds, congrats!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions