Second WAX SEAL MATRIX Dug from the Early 18th Century FRENCH COLONIAL SITE!

PBR

Nov 29, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went back to the Early 18th Century French Colonial Site for like the 20th time. This site is pretty picked over and it was a very slowww day. I only dug a few small musket balls, a few pieces of small lead shot, a piece of carved lead with hole in it, and a part of a small shoe buckle frame. Im soo glad i didnt give up. Right as the sun was setting, and one of the last holes i dug was what i believe is an early 18th century French Wax Seal Martrix. My buddy dug a nice one at this site a few weeks ago, and i think i finally dug my first one this Saturday. It is .95" long or 24mm. The housing appears to be a pewter like material, and i think it was once part of a ring. The background looks like a colored stone with horizontal lines. The material appears to be etched glass. I really thought it was more modern, but now im starting to believe it could be very old after cleaning the dirt out of the glass, taking pics, and zooming. It appears to have a man sitting on an object, holding some sort of a flower, and he has something on his back. I would love to know more about the design, materials, age/era, and any other information possible. Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• P5080007.JPG
    P5080007.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 208
  • P5080011.JPG
    P5080011.JPG
    631.4 KB · Views: 184
  • P5080016.JPG
    P5080016.JPG
    778.8 KB · Views: 179
  • P5080017.JPG
    P5080017.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 198
  • P5080018.JPG
    P5080018.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 194
Last edited:
Upvote 17
OP
OP
PBR

PBR

Nov 29, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome. I'm like Abe, I'd love to dig one of those, and I would take that much, and be happy, but admit would be happier if complete. Do you mind telling what state or province your in ? Sure is a killer site that is still producing. That BTW is the biggest skill of all, finding a good site. Anyone can beep , and dig, even me.
Thanks Rick, im pretty happy with this one. As it would be very nice if it were complete, i am not going to complain. The site is about petered out. having to work alot harder with only maybe one good find to show. Get inside the bushes, go slow, dig everything, hunt less desirable areas, deep iffy signals, etc, etc. Its probably the oldest site in my area, and there arent many around here like this, so its worth it. Id rather hunt all day and dig one cool 300 yr old relic, over a few mercs and wheaties.

Last edited:

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Very well done sir!

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's what I love about this hobby - a surprise find like this! A real beauty. Thanks for sharing.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful design on that piece. Congrats on a great find!

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
man that is a cool find! those hunted out sites always seem to give up something in this case it was a great piece.

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow super cool piece!

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
Congratulations!!! I knew your luck would turn around soon and I've been really hoping that you would find your own seal! And what a beauty of a seal it is! Good Luck and keep swinging!

OP
OP
PBR

PBR

Nov 29, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
man that is a cool find! those hunted out sites always seem to give up something in this case it was a great piece.
Thanks Calabash.
Wow super cool piece!
Thanks Goldiver.
Congratulations!!! I knew your luck would turn around soon and I've been really hoping that you would find your own seal! And what a beauty of a seal it is! Good Luck and keep swinging!
Thanks CC. Now i just need to work on my silver count. Youre makin me look real bad..

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow, I missed this one! Well, each time I see one posted, a seal matrix goes higher and higher on my bucket list. Yours is exquisite!

If/when I do find one I plan on sealing all of my letters with said seal! Lol

Congrats on a real beauty.

OP
OP
PBR

PBR

Nov 29, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Scrappy. I never expected to, or thought i would find one. I am still pretty excited about this one, and was really hoping someone could tell me more about it. Thanks for bumping it back up top :-)/.

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The guy's not naked, he's WEARING a quiver of arrows, with a bow on his back...:laughing7:
Is the stone, agate?

OP
OP
PBR

PBR

Nov 29, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The guy's not naked, he's WEARING a quiver of arrows, with a bow on his back...:laughing7: Is the stone, agate?
I dont think he is naked either. It looks like his shoes have heels. His knees almost look raised as if the knees on his pants are baggy. or hes wearing kneepads. And his chest looks like hes wearing a leather vest of some sort. And then theres also the hat. It could be a quiver of arrows on his back. That was my first guess, but i wanted to see what others said. It almost looks like a round object to the left of his head, like a sun, but im unsure about that too. One thing i will say is that there is alot of detail for something so small. As far as the stone, i have no idea, not knowing much about stones. It could be a stone. At first i thought it was a stone underneath and glass over the top, but for all i know it could just be a glassy translucent stone that is clear and has horizontal lines going through it. Thanks for looking and responding.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread