Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all, This week i have hunting the remains of saddle quartz reef just below the tailing of a gold mine .The Garden Gully United -Ground first worked in 1857 Soon abandonded. In 1861 Latham's Reef at 175 feet.A public company was formed.The results were disappointed but was when leased to a tribute company.The tribute company struck gold in 1873 and in 1874 the lease expired and the parent company took over., 61,000oz's was won with some yeilds 10 oz,s per ton of rock .Prominent mine in the 1880's, 1890,s to 1900. Best gold -Latham reef 173 feet to 209 feet and from 600 feet to 2239 feet. Total gold yeild 444,337 ozs. Paid shareholders of the time $2,101,898 in dividends.

I started just below the main tails dump which is about half way up the hill and tailings is over 100 feet high.Since the mine closed in 1919 the annual rain has washed the ground beneath the bottom of the dump away. Revealing the fractured remains of a surfacing saddle reef. Run of slate and sedimentry rock ,large pieces of broken quartz . all nealy packed in red clay. I started slowly and picked a couple of pieces of gold out of the clay and then another piece. Ok time to go a back over the line of the reef again . Time to go deeper. Brought the gain up from 8 to max 15 . Go a bit noisey brought frq. down 5 to 99 . That did the trick. Nothing for a bout 40 feet and then a gentle sound as i passed the coil over this large piece of visable quartz .I knew the signal was not coming from the quartz or i would have got the it the first time. Drove the pick into the hard clay and pulling out 5 pound pieces .The 6th piece of clay light up and the GPX was on over load. Left that piece and drove in one more time and hit the solid rock pan. Ran the coil over the hole ,left no more targets. Either i had a nugget or neat little deposit missed by the first miners . After breaking up the lump i had a small hand full of gold pieces. Slightly worn so it was pocket of Colluvial or hill wash gold.

tinpan

Attachments

• l.jpg
    l.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 1,603
  • l9.jpg
    l9.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 1,738
  • l8.jpg
    l8.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 1,751
  • l7.jpg
    l7.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 1,754
  • l6.jpg
    l6.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 1,605
  • l5.jpg
    l5.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 1,596
  • l4.jpg
    l4.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 1,585
  • l3.jpg
    l3.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 1,594
  • l2.jpg
    l2.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 1,596
Upvote 0
OP
OP
tinpan

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all The last pic is of the new booster just on the market. Built for all late model gpxs .The technology and idea was invented by the local minelab shop. Not sure when goes into full production. One step a head of the average . ;D ;D ;D.

tinpan

Smoogle

Jul 24, 2011
North Coast NSW.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Stavr Krepish II Scoop, Plugger Balanced Shaft.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
rockin hunt tinpan, nope can't see any evidence of vegetation in those pics LOL - maybe it was a controlled burn of flammable rocks? :laughing7:

OP
OP
tinpan

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Smoogle said:
rockin hunt tinpan, nope can't see any evidence of vegetation in those pics LOL - maybe it was a controlled burn of flammable rocks? :laughing7:

Lol smoogle Its funny but its not funny. So tomorrow i,m going back too the site and i,m going to tear it to bits. picked up a few surface relics this afternoon. Dig all targets see what i can find. :wink: :wink: Todays relics

tinpan

Attachments

• 100_1407.jpg
    100_1407.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 931

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Tuberale said:
Nice gold!!!!! And the history leading to the discovery was every bit as interesting as the Au itself.

It has been said that over 50% of the gold in the West was never recovered: too small, too dispersed, never found. Maybe.

I'm much more curious about the "red clay" though. From your photos, it looks like there was either a fire in the taililngs pile recently, or there is substantial mercury in the tailings pile, which had killed a lot of vegetation. That really doesn't make much sense to me, as mercury would have value when recovered. Maybe your gold came from rotten quartz? If so, you may have uncovered or detected an off-shoot to a main vein. An exciting possibility!
Very exciting if that were the case! Way to go Dave!

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Smoogle said:

:icon_scratch: I didnt say vegetation didnt grow around mines.....I said it doesnt grow in tailing piles....its here nor there.As I sit here in my office looking out the window at the Union Copper mine which supplied much of the copper to the Union Cause,it looks as if somebody dumped thousands of gallons of Round_up..........completly devoid of vegetation.Merc,was never used in these Copper mines
Soory Dave to HiJack,I just get sensitive when people start talking about all the supposed nasty toxins from mines.....%90 BS

OP
OP
tinpan

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kuger said:
Smoogle said:

:icon_scratch: I didnt say vegetation didnt grow around mines.....I said it doesnt grow in tailing piles....its here nor there.As I sit here in my office looking out the window at the Union Copper mine which supplied much of the copper to the Union Cause,it looks as if somebody dumped thousands of gallons of Round_up..........completly devoid of vegetation.Merc,was never used in these Copper mines
Soory Dave to HiJack,I just get sensitive when people start talking about all the supposed nasty toxins from mines.....%90 BS

Sorry for not taking a little more care in what i post, Some much imformation about methods and types of mining processes. We can all get a little confused. I beleive from what i have read the seperation of gold using mercury in the 19th century was done underground . Yep the final product was taken special area to reclaim both minerals. I don,t think it was done for hazards but more for theives.

tinpan If anyone ever starts about nasty toxic mine waste ask them if they own any jewellery. Something like "thats a nice ring you have there." "Did it grow on a tree."? And your house and car came from what?

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe we can do a Winter exchange when the weather is cold, 1 nugget for 1 Roman Coin :thumbsup:

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tinpan said:
kuger said:
Smoogle said:

Sorry for not taking a little more care in what i post, Some much imformation about methods and types of mining processes. We can all get a little confused. I beleive from what i have read the seperation of gold using mercury in the 19th century was done underground . Yep the final product was taken special area to reclaim both minerals. I don,t think it was done for hazards but more for theives.

tinpan

:thumbsup: :wink:

OP
OP
tinpan

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CRUSADER said:
Maybe we can do a Winter exchange when the weather is cold, 1 nugget for 1 Roman Coin :thumbsup:

Lol crusader,Even tho i,m not a wake yet. Let me guess i get the Scappy :laughing9: :laughing9:

tinpan

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Thanks for the photos tinpan. Looks like vegetation on tailing piles to me. Lots of mesquite, juniper, some forbes. Is that moth mullein?

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tinpan said:
CRUSADER said:

Lol crusader,Even tho i,m not a wake yet. Let me guess i get the Scappy :laughing9: :laughing9:

tinpan

You get whatever you find on the best site I stick you on (after applying for a licence to take it home)? How about me?

OP
OP
tinpan

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CRUSADER said:
tinpan said:
CRUSADER said:

tinpan

You get whatever you find on the best site I stick you on (after applying for a licence to take it home)? How about me?

I,m not sure how the law works in reguard tourists mding for gold here. Anyone can get a miners right and find as you please. i think you only have to declare when leaving the country. By way condition of a Miner right no tax .So if you find a big nugget you will have to pay a huge excess baggage fee and airlines are theives.lol

tinpan

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tinpan said:
CRUSADER said:
tinpan said:
CRUSADER said:

tinpan

I,m not sure how the law works in reguard tourists mding for gold here. Anyone can get a miners right and find as you please. i think you only have to declare when leaving the country. By way condition of a Miner right no tax .So if you find a big nugget you will have to pay a huge excess baggage fee and airlines are theives.lol

tinpan
Confused. You can take out most items from my country with a licience which only costs time (unless the BM want it) & no money. I have to pay money to take a small nugget from your country? Please explain, I wish to follow the letter of the Law.

OP
OP
tinpan

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CRUSADER said:
tinpan said:
CRUSADER said:
tinpan said:
CRUSADER said:

tinpan

tinpan
Confused. You can take out most items from my country with a licience which only costs time (unless the BM want it) & no money. I have to pay money to take a small nugget from your country? Please explain, I wish to follow the letter of the Law.

everyone in the state i live in is required by law to have a Miners right [licence] to mine for gold or any other mineral found. Miners Right you can use only hand tools and a MD. Anything more you need a Mining Claim. Tourists can do the same. I don,t sell gold to overseas parties so i,m not sure how the law works in that aspect. When leaving the country there are requirements under the customs laws. So if found a small nugget you would be safe to leave without to much trouble . Just remember to declare.I,m not sure on limits. The basic laws [md public land all you like] [Fill your holes in] [Ask if going on private properity] No many hunt private land . state forrests are by square miles, some are huge so theres plenty of space for all. Only night hawkers around here are the ones that attack historical listed sites. The law is quite strict about those. Caught, lose md , $5000 fine and possible prison time. Most of these sites are watched or fenced.

tinpan

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tinpan said:
CRUSADER said:
tinpan said:
CRUSADER said:
tinpan said:
CRUSADER said:

tinpan

tinpan

everyone in the state i live in is required by law to have a Miners right [licence] to mine for gold or any other mineral found. Miners Right you can use only hand tools and a MD. Anything more you need a Mining Claim. Tourists can do the same. I don,t sell gold to overseas parties so i,m not sure how the law works in that aspect. When leaving the country there are requirements under the customs laws. So if found a small nugget you would be safe to leave without to much trouble . Just remember to declare.I,m not sure on limits. The basic laws [md public land all you like] [Fill your holes in] [Ask if going on private properity] No many hunt private land . state forrests are by square miles, some are huge so theres plenty of space for all. Only night hawkers around here are the ones that attack historical listed sites. The law is quite strict about those. Caught, lose md , $5000 fine and possible prison time. Most of these sites are watched or fenced.
tinpan

Thanks for the explaination.
I'm glad you take night hawking seriously in your country. Our Police do next to nothing, even when they are caught red handed. Shame really, I wish they followed your lead.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CRUSADER said:
tinpan said:
CRUSADER said:
tinpan said:
CRUSADER said:
tinpan said:
CRUSADER said:

tinpan

tinpan

tinpan

I'm glad you take night hawking seriously in your country. Our Police do next to nothing, even when they are caught red handed. Shame really, I wish they followed your lead.

Me too!!!Here!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kuger said:
CRUSADER said:
tinpan said:
CRUSADER said:
tinpan said:
CRUSADER said:
tinpan said:
CRUSADER said:

tinpan

tinpan

tinpan

Me too!!!Here!

Thanks, it's time to crack down on these thieves, it would put them out of business quick instead of just moving them on to the next 'moving along'.....
Finally with much pressure from a Land-owner, who I thank for their patience, we have a situation on 1 farm that the Police have agreed to do something more positive. But this is more due the the owners continuous Crusade against those that try & rob from his 'garden/yard'.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its epidemic here and the reason I dont post finds,"I find nuthing? :dontknow:" :wink:
Law enforcement is no help either....that would cause them to actually go do something :BangHead:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread