ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
People wonder why they don't find much anymore...
There are many reasons for this...
people don't wear stuff like they use to... Sites/spots are worked to death... Spots/sites are getting fewer and fewer...
but the biggest one is the fact of how large the "circle" of MDrs is these days...
And ever growing...
By leaps and bounds with every new "you tube" video...

This has in my opinion... cheapened MDing...
And sorta threatens it...
great for detector sales and such...
not so great for the old schoolers and die hards that eat **** and breath it.

LIKE ME ! :P

Being "low key" is why Mding has lasted this long IMO...
AND...
Why it IS still allowed.

And I would bet on that.

Last edited:

jyt2017

May 7, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Excal WOT
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I don't know why other people make them. But if you don't know why this guy makes them your either practicing what's known as "willful blindness" or your just naive.

he clearly has no interest in the hobby. He is there to videotape people.

I personally hate most people. Probably why this lone wolf hobby of mine is so appealing. Given the option to hunt at night or in the day, I'll take the night. Given the option to hunt on a cloudy chilly day vs a sun slamming 80+ day, I'll take the clouds. I HIGHLY agree with many opinions here. We do have the same rights, but there is a level of etiquette that needs to be in place. Just because some turd kid is obnoxious, just because some dumb teenager is bumping Tupac on a stereo or just because others are ******s, that doesn't mean you need to join the same profile as them. Understand that you can have 300 people walking around the beach like sheep, but with you and your metal detector, you are like the one lone llama walking around and its VERY obvious. Some are curious, some are oblivious, some are at guard. For the sport, not the person, stay out of people's comfort zones. That means personal space of a decent 10 ft.
If I have to end up at a beach at 630 am, I know that I only have about 2 hrs to hunt. By then I'm getting in the way of water line walkers and people migrating to set up for their fun day at the beach. At that point I can either go deeper in the water or higher up the dry sand line. To continue to be pompous and hunt around people is a complete turd move. Mix that with the habit of NOT covering your holes regardless of how deep you might think it is, is a turd move.

When people ask, (and the nicer people will) "Did you find anything today?", you say, " I did ok ".. and that's it! Don't brag about the ring you found or cry about the lack of finds. Ignorance is bliss. If you found a ring and bragged, that person might tell 3 others and so on. Before you know it you've got yahoo's stomping the beach thinking it's a jewelry store. Lay low, stay out of sight and STOP drawing so much attn.

Why are people making videos of metal detecting? Although there is nothing wrong with detecting, it's not particularly an action sport or of a lot of excitement. Do they carry a camera so that when they find that 4ct diamond they can remember that moment? Hell if I know. I keep my go-pro mounted on the dash of my 4x and keep the finds to me and my group of friends.

As for the guard, yes sir.... move on.... Kill him in your dreams, call him names under your breath.... then come back at night. and clean out the beach. Karma will catch up to Mr. Douchbag.

GreenMeanie

Jun 3, 2006
TreasureTerrain.com
Detector(s) used
NOX 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They do this in RI all the time when I use to surfcast there.
I would be in the water and they would say I am tresspassing and I would just say call the COPS never once did the COPS show up.

Last edited:

GreenMeanie

Jun 3, 2006
TreasureTerrain.com
Detector(s) used
NOX 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So when people on VA beach record ladies with a camera it is OK because you all like him and his friends but a nobody can't film girls in Florida? I hate to tell you this but there are Public cams all over the beaches filming people along with the GOV.

No,The rude person was metal detecting 2 feet from people's blankets as for cleaning up trash yeah that bottle cap at 7 inches was an eyesore

jeepGold

Sep 7, 2014
Vegas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Nox800
Primary Interest:
The video should be pulled and the topic should be dropped because this is becoming like the Kardasians. Everyone hates them yet everyone talks about it. Hence, that's what they want. Negative attention is attention just the same. I could video all the time with my dealings with homelesss people or people talking to me or that chick in a thong but I don't! What's the point?

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was not going to comment on this post but I have seen enough.the guard may have been out of place?but when I go to the beach with my family to enjoy the day on the beach the last thing I want to see is some idiot with a metal detector in my face let alone a camera .nothing good can come of this for the hobby of metal detecting .when I metal detect I am there at daybreak and leave when the beach people show up and let them enjoy there time on the beach.This type of publicity will do nothing but add more restrictions on the hobby .Thats just my opinion
We hunt 8 to 10 hours at the beach, in the water, when we go. We have to hunt in the crowds. We only get to go about three times a month and it is a 100 mile drive one way. I talk to people all day long and enlighten them on the hobby. there is nothing wrong with metal detecting as long as you are respectful and use common sense. I got just as much right to enjoy "time on the beach" as much as everyone else does. You live near the beach and have a lot more options to hunting times than we do. Don't tell me Im wrong for hunting in crowds.

sponge

Bronze Member
Nov 15, 2012
Florida
How close is to close. When you look up and see people laying down holding their bloody chins. Your coil is like a weed wacker mowin down beach goers. Yep that is when you are too close. At least at night the sea turtles are below my sweep pattern.

sent from a sending device

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look... IMO
It boils down to consideration of others...
Not demanding others to be considerate...
It is true that the beach is for all of us...
and MDrs should have the same rights therein as "others" have...
But...
Mding as a whole is a "fragile" thing that should be carefully handled and protected.

GreenMeanie

Jun 3, 2006
TreasureTerrain.com
Detector(s) used
NOX 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Our gun rights where stripped from us pretty easily here in CT and we followed the rules. So following the Rules will get you no where if they want to shut Metal Detecting down they will no matter what you do to try and appease them.
I am not breaking any laws and will detect when I feel like it :)
We shouldn't have to hide in the shadows if we are doing nothing wrong. Most of the time I hunt at night anyways just because of the endless questions from the people at the beach.
A few post above hit the nail on the head. I travel over an hour to get to the Ocean and I shouldn't have to wait for people to clear the beach to detect the ocean is there for everyone to enjoy. I hate when people Smoke on the beach but they keep doing it and no one stops them.
Is it rude to hunt near blankets? I wouldn't do it. But throwing frisbees and footballs and almost hitting people is rude. Leaving their trash all over the beach is just plain disrespectful but yet they keep on doing it.

I was minding my own business at a local lake and some old retired Teacher decided she wanted to strike up a conversation. Even thou I was polite and chatted with her she eventually got to the reason she was there by asking me "WHY DO I DO THIS?" I kind of half answered her because I knew what she was up to and she asked again "I don't get why you do this?". She wanted me to say I do it for Profit which I don't LOL. Point is no matter what you do there will always be someone to complain so enjoy it while you can.

And how can you change the Publics eye when we have TV Shows putting dollar amounts on the so called Finds they have Found? It is never going to happen. They will never believe you do it for exercise and just plain fun period. I never once sold anything I found everything is in a jug but it doesn't matter to them.

Look... IMO
It boils down to consideration of others...
Not demanding others to be considerate...
It is true that the beach is for all of us...
and MDrs should have the same rights therein as "others" have...
But...
Mding as a whole is a "fragile" thing that should be carefully handled and protected.

Last edited:

mham2

Jan 12, 2009
massillon,ohio/bradenton florida
Detector(s) used
minelab/excalibur 11, minelab ctx 3030
Primary Interest:
We hunt 8 to 10 hours at the beach, in the water, when we go. We have to hunt in the crowds. We only get to go about three times a month and it is a 100 mile drive one way. I talk to people all day long and enlighten them on the hobby. there is nothing wrong with metal detecting as long as you are respectful and use common sense. I got just as much right to enjoy "time on the beach" as much as everyone else does. You live near the beach and have a lot more options to hunting times than we do. Don't tell me Im wrong for hunting in crowds.

I don't think I ever said you have no rights to be on the beach or hunt in crowds.my point was just use a little common sense and preserve the hobby

Brother Al

Jul 23, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Three White's, one Fisher and a Minelab.....I'm beginning to wonder if I am a metal detectorist .....or a collector of metal detectors?
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have never...
In all my years of this... ever...
Detected around... next to... In between... infront of... OR anywhere around people.

Digging next to people is weird and awkward at best...
Not only for some of those who have just as much right to use the beach as you do for its INTENDED purposes...

IMO it is very inconsiderate of others... and just plain rude... not to mention selfish.

9 out of ten may not mind...
But 1 counts as 10 in my book.

Be considerate of others and MDing in general.

Looks like some use MDing as a "hey look at me" thing... for attention or an "ice breaker" for meeting chicks.

Hmmm? That could work!

sandswimmer

Apr 6, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Xcal Xterra's DF
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These are the posted, NO, signs here on our beaches in Pinellas County. They do cover disorderly conduct, i.e., loud music & out of control kids....and the throwing missiles or objects, i.e., Frisbees & footballs, and although this is common activity to see on the beach, all one has to do is complain to the police and they will stop you...because it's posted! So just use common sense, which I believe most of you/we do.
I don't want to see metal detecting added to that list. SS treasure-island-beach-stingray-sign-400.jpg

Brother Al

Jul 23, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Three White's, one Fisher and a Minelab.....I'm beginning to wonder if I am a metal detectorist .....or a collector of metal detectors?
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Brother Al

Jul 23, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was not going to comment on this post but I have seen enough.the guard may have been out of place?but when I go to the beach with my family to enjoy the day on the beach the last thing I want to see is some idiot with a metal detector in my face let alone a camera .nothing good can come of this for the hobby of metal detecting .when I metal detect I am there at daybreak and leave when the beach people show up and let them enjoy there time on the beach.This type of publicity will do nothing but add more restrictions on the hobby .Thats just my opinion

Amen to that Brother. More restrictions is not on my bucket list.

jeepGold

Sep 7, 2014
Vegas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Nox800
Primary Interest:
A number of you are trying to put metal detecting into the same bracket as annoying smokers, egocentric freesbee throwers, loud music listeners,etc..... That means (according to you) that MD'ers are equally annoying. The frisbee thrower who throws into towel lines is, where the guy who takes it to an area that isn't busy isnt. The smoker is when its up wind of where you are but isn't when they do it out of range. So goes the metal detectorist who detects away from people who are trying to enjoy there time just as you are vs the goon with a electronic swingy thingy going back and forth nearly hitting someone who's laying out on a towel.

I don't hunt during busy traffic times NOT for them but for ME. People annoy me. People are in the way. Why would you want to detect at high noon with a large amount of people on the beach? It radically limits your grid lines (assuming you grid) and it is a distraction.
I like to grid sections of a beach and work it to a slow death during high tide and then hit the low tide after.
If you can drive 100 miles to go to a beach 3 times a month, hopefully you can also plan it at a night time low tide. Would you rather drive in traffic or open road?
How this thread went from a douche bag who tells people to get off his beach to when you can hunt I don't know. It's a great topic though. It just boils down to common courtesy. Personally, I feel like I'm intruding when I come near someones beach towel or chair or whatever. There's ALOT of beach and there's really no need to do that.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Our gun rights where stripped from us pretty easily here in CT and we followed the rules. So following the Rules will get you no where if they want to shut Metal Detecting down they will no matter what you do to try and appease them.
I am not breaking any laws and will detect when I feel like it :)
We shouldn't have to hide in the shadows if we are doing nothing wrong. Most of the time I hunt at night anyways just because of the endless questions from the people at the beach.
A few post above hit the nail on the head. I travel over an hour to get to the Ocean and I shouldn't have to wait for people to clear the beach to detect the ocean is there for everyone to enjoy. I hate when people Smoke on the beach but they keep doing it and no one stops them.
Is it rude to hunt near blankets? I wouldn't do it. But throwing frisbees and footballs and almost hitting people is rude. Leaving their trash all over the beach is just plain disrespectful but yet they keep on doing it.

I was minding my own business at a local lake and some old retired Teacher decided she wanted to strike up a conversation. Even thou I was polite and chatted with her she eventually got to the reason she was there by asking me "WHY DO I DO THIS?" I kind of half answered her because I knew what she was up to and she asked again "I don't get why you do this?". She wanted me to say I do it for Profit which I don't LOL. Point is no matter what you do there will always be someone to complain so enjoy it while you can.

And how can you change the Publics eye when we have TV Shows putting dollar amounts on the so called Finds they have Found? It is never going to happen. They will never believe you do it for exercise and just plain fun period. I never once sold anything I found everything is in a jug but it doesn't matter to them.

This is exactly why... I keep walking... headphones cranked... an act like I cant hear them or see them...
And slowly work away from them.\

I avoid a lot of things by doing this... Like...
Stress...
Wasting my MD time...
Small talk which really does not mean a ******* thing / difference in EITHER lives.
Encouraging them to also take up MDing...
Saying the same ole same ole crapola.

I protect my "way of life" by... being a ghost...
And If I am seen...
I am not heard.

NOW with that said...
Nothing wrong with a quick "chat" here and there... and I enjoy a quick chat with a fellow detectorist... SOMETIMES. :P

THATS WHY THERE IS TREASURE NET ! ! !... TO CHAT ABOUT DETECTING !!!
:)

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My general outlook on MDing is this...

"out of sight... Out of mind".

Those of you who brag and show off with "others"... who do not detect but are obviously showing an "interest" in MDing... NOT just curious...
Are cutting your own throat...
You might as well hand them your detector and just go pound sand.

Because in not so distant future...
if this "rate" of joining keeps up...

that's what we will all be doing on the beaches.

(damn near that now sorry to say)

NOW !!!... I am now going to bid you a great weekend...
I am off...
To go pound some sand... AND some dirt.

Looking for another 14k bracelet... LOST AWAY FROM PEOPLE :P~
(pics post later)

Last edited:

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
We only get to go about three times a month and it is a 100 mile drive one way.

Dayum dood - where do you live? I didn't think it was possible to be 100 miles from the beach in Florida.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
It's 158 miles from my house to Cocoa Beach...

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A number of you are trying to put metal detecting into the same bracket as annoying smokers, egocentric freesbee throwers, loud music listeners,etc..... That means (according to you) that MD'ers are equally annoying. The frisbee thrower who throws into towel lines is, where the guy who takes it to an area that isn't busy isnt. The smoker is when its up wind of where you are but isn't when they do it out of range. So goes the metal detectorist who detects away from people who are trying to enjoy there time just as you are vs the goon with a electronic swingy thingy going back and forth nearly hitting someone who's laying out on a towel.

I don't hunt during busy traffic times NOT for them but for ME. People annoy me. People are in the way. Why would you want to detect at high noon with a large amount of people on the beach? It radically limits your grid lines (assuming you grid) and it is a distraction.
I like to grid sections of a beach and work it to a slow death during high tide and then hit the low tide after.
If you can drive 100 miles to go to a beach 3 times a month, hopefully you can also plan it at a night time low tide. Would you rather drive in traffic or open road?
How this thread went from a douche bag who tells people to get off his beach to when you can hunt I don't know. It's a great topic though. It just boils down to common courtesy. Personally, I feel like I'm intruding when I come near someones beach towel or chair or whatever. There's ALOT of beach and there's really no need to do that.
I would rather hunt when I want...not when you think I should...we hunt in the water and we don't like going in at night.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread