ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And I still say if anyone detects within 20 feet of stranger / another person that is not detecting... WHO is minding their own business and not interested in what your doing...

IS an inconsiderate ... selfish / self entitled / narrow minded / jeopardizer of the craft of metal detecting.

AKA LAMER.

And should reconsider themselves as a whole.

And nothing re-read / posted to the contrary makes sense or even begins to sway my opinion... NOR ever will.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
People need to really get a grip on reality.

Reality is...

No one gives 2 craps what you think or do when it comes to metal detecting.

They ONLY give a crap HOW it effects THEM OR OTHERS.

Get it ?

THIS IS how "life works"... if ya haven't figured that part / fact of life out yet...

HERE IS YOUR "CLUE".

"Rights" are a 2 way street... not a "who has the MORE right"... and rights are based off the "principle" / "thinking" of RESPECT and CONSIDERATION.

UNDERSTAND ?

a fundamental "truth" of life... "You get what you give".

When A line is crossed for NO reasonable reason... PER the OP's story.

THEN you have the right to biatch.

To most...

Metal detectorists that are seen close OR in between people... are like a gnat / mosquito or a fly to people.

The comments I heard whilst working the concession stand as a kid would FLOOR many here.... and REALLY piss some off... heh

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Worst Tourist Threat on SPB, is the Idiot with the Volleyball whistle, @ prime beach-going times Saturdays and Sundays. THIS guy ruins everyones beach experience. People metal detcting are quiet, unless provoked.

Bring an air horn. Blow it every time he whistles.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And I still say if anyone detects within 20 feet of stranger / another person that is not detecting... WHO is minding their own business and not interested in what your doing...

IS an inconsiderate ... selfish / self entitled / narrow minded / jeopardizer of the craft of metal detecting.

AKA LAMER.

And nothing re-read / posted to the contrary makes sense or even begins to sway my opinion... NOR ever will.
You talking about in the water or just on dry ground?

toddbbq

Apr 13, 2014
Lutz FL
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT-8000, Equinox 800 2x, T-Rex scoop, AT Pro and Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just to answer THE question... but in way directed to anyone who may read it... with caps for emphasis of my "fervor" of this subject...

So here the short of it then... :P

You asked "in land or in water" ?

So here is THE ONLY IMO answer...

ANYWHERE ! ... ANY another human being IS... that has NOT approached YOU... On land... water ... space or AIR.

AND even... a friggin animal for that matter... SEE A manatee ? GO AWAY !... SEE A DOLPHIN ? leave it alone as well... TURTLE ? ... SCRAM !

IOW... leave well enough alone.

Didn't grandma teach anyone else that ?

Rights to detect DO NOT "trump" the right of personal space... WHICH has been an unsaid consideration of mankind (at least "civilized" mankind) for eons before a shovel was first made... LET ALONE a sweaty meatball of a guy with a weird scoop and electronic device scrounging around for someone else's belongings... WHICH is what MANY think of detectorists without first hand knowledge of the craft.... WHICH is ONLY a "craft" of someone who is "skilled"...OTher than that... its just a "hobby".

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just to answer THE question... but in way directed to anyone who may read it... with caps for emphasis of my "fervor" of this subject...

So here the short of it then... :P

You asked "in land or in water" ?

So here is THE ONLY IMO answer...

ANYWHERE ! ... ANY another human being IS... that has NOT approached YOU... On land... water ... space or AIR.

AND even... a friggin animal for that matter... SEE A manatee ? GO AWAY !... SEE A DOLPHIN ? leave it alone as well... TURTLE ? ... SCRAM !

IOW... leave well enough alone.

Didn't grandma teach anyone else that ?

Rights to detect DO NOT "trump" the right of personal space... WHICH has been an unsaid consideration of mankind (at least "civilized" mankind) for eons before a shovel was first made... LET ALONE a sweaty meatball of a guy with a weird scoop and electronic device scrounging around for someone else's belongings... WHICH is what MANY think of detectorists without first hand knowledge of the craft.... WHICH is ONLY a "craft" of someone who is "skilled"...OTher than that... its just a "hobby".
There is something wrong with you or you are just trying to argue...either way I don't talk to people like you and wont anymore.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is something wrong with you or you are just trying to argue...either way I don't talk to people like you and wont anymore.

First... there is absolutely nothing "wrong" with me...

But obviously something definitely wrong with you... and cant believe you are surprised at my response to your question...

Sheesh I cant even believe you EVEN ASKED that question... AS IF there is a difference between water or land when it comes to OTHERS personal space... :/

You have been a member here long enough to know my stance on this subject... and if you didn't you SHOULD have.

AND It was not directed JUST directly "at" you but toward anyone and in a way to emphasize my STRONG opinions ...

STOP...

Let me start this whole "explanation" over by starting with this...

This whole subject just pisses me off to begin with...

Look man... I have been detecting my whole life... and I have watched the craft go from wide open to narrow in the last 10-15 years.

I see complete bumbling inconsiderate morons screw around and cause problems to the MD community WHICH HAS HURT ME.

I don't like being hurt by others actions.

I am respected by park rangers wildlife people and LEO's and the beach "regulars" / "public" in general... I have a "relationship" / "2 way respect" with them...

And when it comes to detecting...this is not something that they owed me... this is something I EARNED !

MANY of these PEOPLE allow me to detect areas NO ONE else is allowed to hunt for a reason.... I am not "tolerated"... I am respected... which is in case you don't get this part ...

NOT because its my right... but because I am considerate of all things possible... AND<<< play by the rules... REGARDLESS of my opinion of the rules or better yet etiquette

I am considerate of others and the rules with attention to others and put them before me when on level fair field...

I am no pushover and know my rights and am a fighter for those rights,,, but man you attract more flys with honey than salt... and this attitude people have toward detectorists is NOT helped by someone who comes along after me or before me throwing salt into the already gaping wound caused by the "I really don't care" people who bought a detector and said "I am gonna detect wherever I want because they are obsessed ,

PEOPLE... Do you not realize... that detecting is a threatened craft ?

Do you know why ? ? ?

I do... and so should everyone else... NOW ! before the bumblers have totally screwed MDing up for the rest of us forever.

#1 reason bit by bit... area after area... place after place... spot after spot is "lost" from detecting IS---- > COMPLAINTS.

You cause complaints... you cause ME problems...

And I don't like being looked at like ALOT of detectorists are... Especially the gung ho novice who has left a wake of bad joo joo.

LookingDown... You don't like the way I responded ? Don't want advice YOU SHOULD already know AND PRACTICE...

Dont want to "talk to me anymore" because I am "that guy"...

Yep... I am... and so be it.

Your loss... not mine.

Beat it.

For all I know your "that guy" they hate.

PS... Stay away from people while detecting WHEREVER YOU ARE... ESPECIALLY MY BEACHES ! ! !

AND INCLUDING ME especially if you are hunting in water NEXT to people...

your giving me and my colleagues bad rep and I don't take lightly to it as you can see.

IF someone hasn't approached you... DONT APPROACH THEM.

PERIOD.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

AKA LAMER.

So someone can be swimming within 20 feet of you, no problem, body surfing, no problem, throwing a ball, no problem, throwing a Frisbee, no problem, set up their chair or blanket right next to you no problem, fishing next to you no problem, building a pyramid, no problem, playing foot ball, no problem, throwing a ball, no problem drinking a beer, no problem, but detecting with in 20 feet of someone makes them a lamer?

I detect anywhere I want on a beach, I will weave detecting between people, detect in a circle around some, I have as much right on that beach as anyone and more than many, I am a native born Floridian.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
.... a sweaty meatball of a guy with a weird scoop and electronic device scrounging around for someone else's belongings... WHICH is what MANY think of detectorists....

... but detecting with in 20 feet of someone makes them a lamer? ...

I was thinking the same thing. Since when is a man on the beach, with a metal detector, thought of as a "sweaty disgusting scrounging meatball" ? On the contrary, most people and strangers find it interesting. They come up to you and ask "what's the best thing you've ever found?" . And "how deep does it go?", etc...

So why this perception that md'rs are lowly scum, and everyone hates us ?

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was thinking the same thing. Since when is a man on the beach, with a metal detector, thought of as a "sweaty disgusting scrounging meatball" ? On the contrary, most people and strangers find it interesting. They come up to you and ask "what's the best thing you've ever found?" . And "how deep does it go?", etc...

So why this perception that md'rs are lowly scum, and everyone hates us ?

Because TV producers try to always show the guy detecting on the beach as a homeless , fat, slob. Probably why people are so interested in talking to us because we don't fit that TV stereotype.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So someone can be swimming within 20 feet of you, no problem, body surfing, no problem, throwing a ball, no problem, throwing a Frisbee, no problem, set up their chair or blanket right next to you no problem, fishing next to you no problem, building a pyramid, no problem, playing foot ball, no problem, throwing a ball, no problem drinking a beer, no problem, but detecting with in 20 feet of someone makes them a lamer?

I detect anywhere I want on a beach, I will weave detecting between people, detect in a circle around some, I have as much right on that beach as anyone and more than many, I am a native born Floridian.
I was going to post the exact same thing you just said...I get to go to the beach 3 times a month if Im lucky...I cant pick times when people aren't there...Im very respectful of others in the water, talk to them when they ask questions and try to enlighten them about our hobby...staying 20 feet away from everyone when Im doing nothing wrong or any different than anyone else enjoying the beach is one of the goofiest things Ive ever heard.

Last edited:

8Keeper

Nov 5, 2017
Daytona, FL
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I am seeing RED! MEATBALL? I put my headphones on and look at the horizon 8 combat tours disappear into a random noise from the machine I swing. When the mood strikes me I will give kids my worn clad and call it pirate treasure. They love it and hopefully plants the seed of a dream in their minds.
My walks on the beach replaced 5 prescriptions from the V.A. This is where I find my piece of peace. I am very respectful but I dare anyone to stand in my way.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am seeing RED! MEATBALL? I put my headphones on and look at the horizon 8 combat tours disappear into a random noise from the machine I swing. When the mood strikes me I will give kids my worn clad and call it pirate treasure. They love it and hopefully plants the seed of a dream in their minds.
My walks on the beach replaced 5 prescriptions from the V.A. This is where I find my piece of peace. I am very respectful but I dare anyone to stand in my way.
I hear you, the beach is my therapy and my favorite place to be.

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Common sense is all it takes gentlemen. Don't be the idiot with the gopro detecting between towels just so you can film the girls.

This security guard didn't just pounce on him... someone COMPLAINED. That's why security was all over him.

Last edited:

updownup

Mar 28, 2016
Florida
Detector(s) used
Cz 20, Excalibur, Whites oldies and Sovereign elite.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see it like AARC, I try to stay at least 20ft away for other people. Sometimes I cannot hold that if I'm just trying to get through a crowd. However, I'm not swinging, just trying to get to a less crowded area.
I feel and know getting closer than 20ft metal detecting causes tension at most places, some exceptions.
I have seen guys put there scoop on their shoulders walking thru a crowd metal detecting not realizing their scoop has almost hit several people.

Personally I would not fish, playball or any sand kicking activities to close to people. Whipping a fishing pole around with weights and hooks while people are too close is a setup for injury.
All this type of activities need proper space. Yes metal detecting.

No wonder the metal detectist is frown upon. Too many *******.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see it like AARC, I try to stay at least 20ft away for other people. Sometimes I cannot hold that if I'm just trying to get through a crowd. However, I'm not swinging, just trying to get to a less crowded area.
I feel and know getting closer than 20ft metal detecting causes tension at most places, some exceptions.
I have seen guys put there scoop on their shoulders walking thru a crowd metal detecting not realizing their scoop has almost hit several people.

Personally I would not fish, playball or any sand kicking activities to close to people. Whipping a fishing pole around with weights and hooks while people are too close is a setup for injury.
All this type of activities need proper space. Yes metal detecting.

No wonder the metal detectist is frown upon. Too many *******.
If that's what makes you comfortable that's what you should do.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread